The Student Room Group

I still have no idea what to pick for a-levels

I am coming into Year 11, and I genuinely have no clue about what to pick for A-Levels, let alone what to do as a further career. I always wanted to be a doctor or something in the field but as I matured I felt like it wasn’t as attractive as before, I did a virtual work experience with VMO2 and I really enjoyed it, but other than that I have a loose idea of doing Business, Economics and Maths, but after that I have no idea whether to go into an apprenticeship, university, or straight to work. I can definitely study science at A-Level as I have decent predicted grades and my school only requires a 7 for seperate and a 7-7 for combined higher.

Any advice would he appreciated :smile:
It's completely normal to feel uncertain about your future career path at your stage in Year 11. It's great that you're considering various options and exploring different interests. Here are some steps you can take to help you make informed decisions about your A-level choices and future career:

1. Self-Assessment: Take some time to reflect on your strengths, interests, and values. Consider what subjects you enjoy, what activities you excel at, and what kind of work environment you envision for yourself. This self-awareness can help guide your decisions.

2. Research Careers: Explore various career options that align with your interests. Look into the responsibilities, educational requirements, and potential paths for each career. This can help you get a clearer picture of what you might enjoy and find fulfilling.

3. Consider A-level Subjects: While it's important to choose subjects you enjoy, also consider subjects that could open up a range of options. A combination of science and business-related subjects like Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Business Studies, Economics, and Maths could provide a balanced foundation for various pathways.

4. Higher Education vs. Apprenticeships: Research both university and apprenticeship options. Consider the pros and cons of each, such as the time commitment, hands-on experience, and potential career advancement. Some careers may require a specific degree, while others may value work experience more.

5. Speak with School Counselors: Your school's career counselors can provide guidance and resources to help you make informed decisions about your A-level choices and future career. They may offer assessments, advice, and information about different pathways.

6. Stay Open-Minded: Keep in mind that your career path may evolve over time. It's okay to start with a general idea and make adjustments along the way as you learn more about yourself and different opportunities.

Remember, it's okay to not have all the answers right now. Your A-level choices don't determine your entire career path; they're a stepping stone. Keep exploring, learning, and staying curious, and you'll gradually find your way to a fulfilling and rewarding career.
Reply 2
Original post by andrew tate01
It's completely normal to feel uncertain about your future career path at your stage in Year 11. It's great that you're considering various options and exploring different interests. Here are some steps you can take to help you make informed decisions about your A-level choices and future career:

1. Self-Assessment: Take some time to reflect on your strengths, interests, and values. Consider what subjects you enjoy, what activities you excel at, and what kind of work environment you envision for yourself. This self-awareness can help guide your decisions.

2. Research Careers: Explore various career options that align with your interests. Look into the responsibilities, educational requirements, and potential paths for each career. This can help you get a clearer picture of what you might enjoy and find fulfilling.

3. Consider A-level Subjects: While it's important to choose subjects you enjoy, also consider subjects that could open up a range of options. A combination of science and business-related subjects like Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Business Studies, Economics, and Maths could provide a balanced foundation for various pathways.

4. Higher Education vs. Apprenticeships: Research both university and apprenticeship options. Consider the pros and cons of each, such as the time commitment, hands-on experience, and potential career advancement. Some careers may require a specific degree, while others may value work experience more.

5. Speak with School Counselors: Your school's career counselors can provide guidance and resources to help you make informed decisions about your A-level choices and future career. They may offer assessments, advice, and information about different pathways.

6. Stay Open-Minded: Keep in mind that your career path may evolve over time. It's okay to start with a general idea and make adjustments along the way as you learn more about yourself and different opportunities.

Remember, it's okay to not have all the answers right now. Your A-level choices don't determine your entire career path; they're a stepping stone. Keep exploring, learning, and staying curious, and you'll gradually find your way to a fulfilling and rewarding career.

thanks bro
Original post by sr.ctown
I am coming into Year 11, and I genuinely have no clue about what to pick for A-Levels, let alone what to do as a further career. I always wanted to be a doctor or something in the field but as I matured I felt like it wasn’t as attractive as before, I did a virtual work experience with VMO2 and I really enjoyed it, but other than that I have a loose idea of doing Business, Economics and Maths, but after that I have no idea whether to go into an apprenticeship, university, or straight to work. I can definitely study science at A-Level as I have decent predicted grades and my school only requires a 7 for seperate and a 7-7 for combined higher.

Any advice would he appreciated :smile:

Hi! You still have time to consider all your options. If your school offers it, maybe consider going to a careers meeting to talk about your aspirations. Consider your strengths and interests - I wouldn't really advise picking A Levels you don't like. It might help to research options and look at the actual courses available at the colleges near you (or maybe your sixthform is attached). Even after you apply for and start A Levels, a lot of people do change their options and that's fine.

Quick Reply

Latest