The Student Room Group

Shame surrounding my 2:2 Law Degree

Hello,
Over the last two years my mother has had health issues with Cancer and I was hospitalised last year for a relapse in mental health related to c-PTSD.

My best-friend dropped out of uni in her first year and keeps attempting to convince me that I should be proud I even completed the degree with everything I had going on.

I know my circumstances weren’t the best, but I still feel so ashamed about my results.
Should I be as ashamed as I feel about my degree, or should I be proud I even finished it?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,
Over the last two years my mother has had health issues with Cancer and I was hospitalised last year for a relapse in mental health related to c-PTSD.

My best-friend dropped out of uni in her first year and keeps attempting to convince me that I should be proud I even completed the degree with everything I had going on.

I know my circumstances weren’t the best, but I still feel so ashamed about my results.
Should I be as ashamed as I feel about my degree, or should I be proud I even finished it?

I got a 2.2 graduated this year and was happy as I got a 40% basically avthird for my second year

It sounds like a good achievement for what you had to deal with imo.

Not everyone has a good experience at uni I also repeated second year due to mental health concerns and am happy it is now over.

Why are you ashamed?
Reply 2
It just doesn’t seem like an accomplishment in respects of the vast amount of individuals that have attained 1sts and 2:1s.
Then there is the matter of looking at the Bar course, which favours 2:1 graduates.

I wish I had a “tell-good” story whereupon I went against the odds and thrived. I’m the First in my family to get a degree, but still, I can’t muster any sense of ecstasy from my results.
I got a 2.2 graduated this year and was happy as I got a 40% basically avthird for my second year

It sounds like a good achievement for what you had to deal with imo.

Not everyone has a good experience at uni I also repeated second year due to mental health concerns and am happy it is now over.

Why are you ashamed?
Also recently finished with a 2:2.
I know it's not an accomplishments and it's nothing to be proud off. But considering i was/still is suffering with mental health problems, there was no way i was gonna thrive. Just gotta accept the fact and its outcome. No point dwelling on it. Just gotta move forward and keep trying.
Depends on the person, if u were struggling from get go then we'll done if u were capable of m more but left everything to last minute then **** happens
It just doesn’t seem like an accomplishment in respects of the vast amount of individuals that have attained 1sts and 2:1s.
Then there is the matter of looking at the Bar course, which favours 2:1 graduates.

I wish I had a “tell-good” story whereupon I went against the odds and thrived. I’m the First in my family to get a degree, but still, I can’t muster any sense of ecstasy from my results.

I try not to compare myself to other people and their achievements too much - everyone's success is relative to their own expectations. Just because others got a 2.1 or 1st doesn't mean these people won't encounter the same difficulties in finding employment.

Also employers look beyond degree classification so if you gain work experience and interview well you could surpass those who achieved higher classifications?

This is what I aim to do despite getting a 2.2.

I don't know much about law other than it is very competitive -

Did you expect to get a 2.1 and enter the bar course?
Reply 6
I’ve been accepted onto my Master’s programme with my classification, but I know how difficult getting into law with a 2:2 can be so naturally, I’m ashamed to tell people. It seems that I got onto my programme just because of my mitigating circumstances too, so that’s not exactly broadening the belief in myself.

I got a 2:1 for my Final Year, but my Second Year results pulled me down.
My Mum keeps saying how proud she is that I have a degree, but she doesn’t have GCSEs so it’s not as though it’s hard to impress her.
I try not to compare myself to other people and their achievements too much - everyone's success is relative to their own expectations. Just because others got a 2.1 or 1st doesn't mean these people won't encounter the same difficulties in finding employment.

Also employers look beyond degree classification so if you gain work experience and interview well you could surpass those who achieved higher classifications?

This is what I aim to do despite getting a 2.2.

I don't know much about law other than it is very competitive -

Did you expect to get a 2.1 and enter the bar course?
I’ve been accepted onto my Master’s programme with my classification, but I know how difficult getting into law with a 2:2 can be so naturally, I’m ashamed to tell people. It seems that I got onto my programme just because of my mitigating circumstances too, so that’s not exactly broadening the belief in myself.

I got a 2:1 for my Final Year, but my Second Year results pulled me down.
My Mum keeps saying how proud she is that I have a degree, but she doesn’t have GCSEs so it’s not as though it’s hard to impress her.

Tbh I don't think that people would really care once you start the masters programme. A bit like how a level results become irrelevant after 1st year.

You have a second chance at making up for a 2.2 in your masters. If you got a 2.1 in final year which is harder than second year and have been accepted for a masters there is no reason why you should not feel like you don't belong there academically. If the admissions thought you weren't capable they would have rejected you.

None of my family have a degree and it is just my friends who have got 2.1 degrees. Some have found graduate employment whereas others are unemployed for 2 years.

Don't worry about impressing others - your lucky to have a mum who doesn't value you on academic achievement - a few people I know have severe parental pressure to achieve top grades and career success.
Hello,

i am gonna assume here, so please let me know if I am wrong, you are asking this question and I think you know the answer deep inside. BE proud of yourself, completing a degree is great achievement, a 2.2 is not the end of the world, so many people believe it is, when it really isnt. you can still do the LPC/SQE with a 2,2 and once you become qualified+ few years experience ,no one will care about ur degree result. just focus on yourself and do not let a number define you.
Original post by enemysoilder
i am gonna assume here, so please let me know if I am wrong, you are asking this question and I think you know the answer deep inside. BE proud of yourself, completing a degree is great achievement, a 2.2 is not the end of the world, so many people believe it is, when it really isnt. you can still do the LPC/SQE with a 2,2 and once you become qualified+ few years experience ,no one will care about ur degree result. just focus on yourself and do not let a number define you.

Hi,
Thank you for your response.
I have since completed a Master’s degree with merit (Postgraduate 2:1). I also procured a job as a trainee solicitor, but after being in a law firm for six months, I have decided that a career in law is not for me.
I start my PGCE in September 2022, which is definitely not where I thought I would be in my life, but I am in a better position than I was in July 2020.
Hi,
I have since completed a Master’s degree with merit (Postgraduate 2:1). I also procured a job as a trainee solicitor, but after being in a law firm for six months, I have decided that a career in law is not for me.
I start my PGCE in September 2022, which is definitely not where I thought I would be in my life, but I am in a better position than I was in July 2020.

I am glad it worked out for you. good luck with everything. ;D
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi,

If only you knew the smile I had on my face when I read this at the end of the thread. From a random 25 year old anonymous person online, be very proud of yourself.

I have a younger brother who also got a 2:2 in Law and let's just say it hasn't been easy motivating him at all, wish you all the best.
Hello,

Hi,

First of all, I want to congratulate you on your results and for completing your course!

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't happy with your results but honestly just completing the course is a huge achievement. University degrees are incredibly tough and when you have personal situations going on in the background it makes it even more difficult. You should be incredibly proud of yourself for your results and try to congratulate yourself for doing well despite your extenuating circumstances.

Try not to compare yourself to others as everyone's circumstances are different and as long as you can say that you tried your best and gave it your all, you should be proud of your achievements. As others have said, employers look beyond university results at times as they want the best all-around candidate to join their team, not just someone who got the best grades.

I hope this is of some assistance to you and I wish you all the best with your future,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending