The Student Room Group

Law vs psychology

I am in year 13 right now and I am unsure what course to apply for.
Law is an area which interests me but I have heard that some people find it boring and difficult. I did not take law for a level so I have no idea what studying it is like. In particular I think criminal law, human rights and politics sound interesting but I'm not sure if I would enjoy other parts of a law degree and I'm worried that I will end up hating my course. I'm also worried the workload will be a lot.
Another subject that I'm quite interested in is psychology, which I do study for a level so I already know what its like and I find it quite interesting. However, I feel like a psychology degree isn't as versatile as a law degree, or as respected.
I am not sure about what career I want to go into, but I am interested in justice, politics and crime and I want to choose a degree that I will enjoy and do well in. I know that if I chose psychology but ended up wanting a career in law, it is still possible without a law degree but I feel like I have a lot more to say in a personal statement geared towards law rather than psychology.
Help !!!
Original post by ellie6256
Law is an area which interests me but I have heard that some people find it boring and difficult. I did not take law for a level so I have no idea what studying it is like. In particular I think criminal law, human rights and politics sound interesting but I'm not sure if I would enjoy other parts of a law degree and I'm worried that I will end up hating my course. I'm also worried the workload will be a lot.
Another subject that I'm quite interested in is psychology, which I do study for a level so I already know what its like and I find it quite interesting. However, I feel like a psychology degree isn't as versatile as a law degree, or as respected.
I am not sure about what career I want to go into, but I am interested in justice, politics and crime and I want to choose a degree that I will enjoy and do well in. I know that if I chose psychology but ended up wanting a career in law, it is still possible without a law degree but I feel like I have a lot more to say in a personal statement geared towards law rather than psychology.
Help !!!

Hi @ellie6256

That is a tough decision to make and I really feel your struggle! However, just from reading your post, I can see that you have a keen interest in law enforcement. That already is a step in the right direction; that interest you have is what will get you through your degree. All degrees can seem boring and difficult to those who are not very interested in what they are studying. Yes, it is known that Law, and Psychology for that matter, are tough subjects to study at undergraduate level and have a lot of content. But everyone’s experiences will be different so try not to let a few negative perceptions of particular courses taint your view of them.

University courses are very different to what you are used to in school. For example, in your assignments, you have the freedom to focus on many different aspects as long as it has some sort of connection to Law. So if you wanted to focus on psychology within Law then you can absolutely do that. The same goes for Psychology, it is very common for students to pick apart the laws in place surrounding mental health for example.

I would definitely encourage you to keep doing research on the courses you are interested in to get a better idea of what and how you will be taught. Both Law and Psychology degrees are very valuable and open up many doors, some that you might not have considered.

All the best with your A Levels!
Anastasia
BCU Student Rep
Original post by ellie6256
Help !!!

If you want to go into law later you always have the option of doing the GDL after a psychology degree. That way the door remains open. I dare say grades wise psychology is slightly easier to get into as most of the higher ranked unis want A*AA min now. It tends to be slightly less for psychology.

The issue with a law degree is that for it to be ‘qualifying’ you need to study certain modules across the 3 years, while some of them are interesting, some people find the likes of land & public law quite boring (not everyone though). In most first years at uni you don’t get any optional modules as you have to study things like Contract & Tort which are huge.
So it’s not until years 2/3 that you start getting more freedom over the odd optional module that interests you. In theory you don’t need a qualifying law degree to be a solicitor any more anyway as you do the SQE, but if we wanted to go for the barrister route you do need a qualifying law degree or the GDL before you can go on any further.

Everyone is different as it’s personal choice and lots of undergrads won’t have studied law before going to study it at uni. I can only suggest reading up a bit more & maybe going to some uni open days. They sometimes do taster lectures etc where you might be able to partake across both subjects if you plan well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending