The Student Room Group

AS maths trig help

"In triangle DEF, ED = 5cm and EF = 6cm.
Given that sin(∠DEF) = and ∠DEF is acute.
(a) Find the exact value of cos(∠DEF)"

So I did arcsin(2/3) to get 41.8...degrees for the value of angle of DEF. However when I did cos (41.8...) I got 0.74.... I think this is wrong as the question asked for the exact answer but I'm only getting decimals. any tips?
BuMp
Reply 2
Is there a right angle in this triangle?
Original post by Gmart
Is there a right angle in this triangle?

The question doesn't specify sadly
Reply 4
So you have two sides of three, and no angles?
Original post by Gmart
So you have two sides of three, and no angles?

Yeah just given the length of two sides and the question implies that you have to solve for angle DEF to find the exact value of cos DEF
Reply 6
Original post by Soul Wavel3ngth
Yeah just given the length of two sides and the question implies that you have to solve for angle DEF to find the exact value of cos DEF

This system isn't constrained enough to produce an answer. I think you need more information.
Original post by Gmart
This system isn't constrained enough to produce an answer. I think you need more information.

Hehe yeah the question is a bit harsh lol. Should I just stick with my original answer?
Reply 8
Hehe yeah the question is a bit harsh lol. Should I just stick with my original answer?

If no answer is possible, you could choose any number, it will be equally wrong.

You could try making the EF distance different and then use the cosine rule to calculate a couple of answers to show that DEF varies.

So I did arcsin(2/3) to get 41.8...degrees for the value of angle of DEF. However when I did cos (41.8...) I got 0.74.... I think this is wrong as the question asked for the exact answer but I'm only getting decimals. any tips?

Just use the identity cos2θ+sin2θ1\cos^2 \theta + \sin^2 \theta \equiv 1 and the fact that this angle is acute in order to determine the exact cosine value of it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by RDKGames
Just use the identity cos2θ+sin2θ1\cos^2 \theta + \sin^2 \theta \equiv 1 and the fact that this angle is acute in order to determine the exact cosine value of it.

Maybe my computer didn't display that correctly - is sin theta 2/3?
Original post by Gmart
Maybe my computer didn't display that correctly - is sin theta 2/3?

Their post doesn't say it explicitly, but yes their working would imply this.
Original post by RDKGames
Their post doesn't say it explicitly, but yes their working would imply this.

ah must've been a mistake on my part. Yeah sin(DEF) = 2/3
Reply 13
ah must've been a mistake on my part. Yeah sin(DEF) = 2/3

Yep so just use the trig identity cos^x2+sinx^2=1. So substitute the value for sin(x) and you can work out cos(x) accordingly.
Original post by Icon4
Yep so just use the trig identity cos^x2+sinx^2=1. So substitute the value for sin(x) and you can work out cos(x) accordingly.

Ok thanks everyone
so what's the answer?
Reply 16
Original post by Yazoo786_p
so what's the answer?
Have you followed the advice given in Reply #9? What do you come up with as the answer?
Original post by chavvo
Have you followed the advice given in Reply #9? What do you come up with as the answer?
not sure mate i got a decimal first and then i got 117
Reply 18
Original post by Yazoo786_p
not sure mate i got a decimal first and then i got 117
not sure where that's come from. If you know sin(theta) = 2/3 and you're told that theta is acute, then cos(theta) just comes straight from the quoted identity sin^2 (theta) + cos^2(theta) = 1 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest