The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Keele, Radiography (diagnostic imaging), B821

Is there a forum for 2020 entry students for Keele, Radiography (diagnostic imaging), B821
Reply 1
Hey, not seen a forum but im starting radiography at keele this year. Have you recieved a timetable yet?
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Hi there!

It’s great to see you’re starting radiography at Keele! I just wanted to jump on the post and let you know that if there’s anything you want to ask about Keele then please don’t hesitate to! :smile:
Original post by Keele Postgraduate
Hi there!

It’s great to see you’re starting radiography at Keele! I just wanted to jump on the post and let you know that if there’s anything you want to ask about Keele then please don’t hesitate to! :smile:

Sorry for the tangent, my daughter is applying for this course starting this year, do you happen to know the term dates or at least the amount of weeks per year the course takes up? The university website doesn't seem to say. Much appreciated.
Original post by Studio1972
Sorry for the tangent, my daughter is applying for this course starting this year, do you happen to know the term dates or at least the amount of weeks per year the course takes up? The university website doesn't seem to say. Much appreciated.

Hi @Studio1972,

The term dates for the 2021-22 academic year have not been finalised and released yet however you can find the term dates for the current academic year at https://www.keele.ac.uk/students/academiclife/keydates/#semester-and-vacation-dates-. This will give you an idea of the average length of a university term and approximate term dates.

This page is also where 2021-22 dates will be posted once those become available, although your daughter will probably have received more information from her course administrators regarding this by that point.

Amy Louise :smile:
Thanks Amy Louise,

Maybe a silly question but would it be different for a course like Radiography with hospital placements etc, do they have less holiday time?
Hi @Studio1972,

The term dates for the 2021-22 academic year have not been finalised and released yet however you can find the term dates for the current academic year at https://www.keele.ac.uk/students/academiclife/keydates/#semester-and-vacation-dates-. This will give you an idea of the average length of a university term and approximate term dates.

This page is also where 2021-22 dates will be posted once those become available, although your daughter will probably have received more information from her course administrators regarding this by that point.

Thanks Amy Louise,

Maybe a silly question but would it be different for a course like Radiography with hospital placements etc, do they have less holiday time?

Hi @Studio1972,

To be honest I'm not exactly sure. I'm an English PhD student so the medical courses are outside of my area of expertise in terms of their exact structure! I'll certainly email the course team to ask for you but, in the meantime, you might find it helpful to chat to one of the current students studying a health and medical sciences course - we have quite a few from across the Medicine and Allied Health Professionals course on our Unibuddy platform at https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/chat/. They can tell you about their own experiences of managing the timetable and how their placements are structured.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Amy Louise,

Hi again @Studio1972!

I've heard back from the team at the School of Allied Health Professionals and they have advised that:

"In reason, the timetable [for the Radiography BSc course] is the same throughout the university - roughly! In terms of placements - these are incorporated into term time however, if any placement hours are outstanding, these may be picked up in vacation periods."

So essentially, you can expect to complete most of the course - including placements - within the university's main semesters. However there may be slight variance into vacation periods if you need to make up outstanding placement hours or similar.

Hope that helps!

Hi again @Studio1972!

I've heard back from the team at the School of Allied Health Professionals and they have advised that:

"In reason, the timetable [for the Radiography BSc course] is the same throughout the university - roughly! In terms of placements - these are incorporated into term time however, if any placement hours are outstanding, these may be picked up in vacation periods."

So essentially, you can expect to complete most of the course - including placements - within the university's main semesters. However there may be slight variance into vacation periods if you need to make up outstanding placement hours or similar.

Hope that helps!

Thanks very much for this information, very much appreciated 😀
Sorry for more questions. But my daughter has a choice of Keele of Cardiff, and she’s struggling with the choice tbh. In many ways Keele is the better choice and it’s much nearer to our home on the Wirral, but she’s concerned about the social side at Keele.

I think her main issues are:

1. How many people are on her course (Radiography) and of those how many will be young like herself that she’s likely to make a friendship group with (she’s 17 at the moment)
2. What sort of opportunities are there for nights out etc. Clubbing, stuff like that. (In non Covid times).

Much appreciated
Sorry for more questions. But my daughter has a choice of Keele of Cardiff, and she’s struggling with the choice tbh. In many ways Keele is the better choice and it’s much nearer to our home on the Wirral, but she’s concerned about the social side at Keele.

1. How many people are on her course (Radiography) and of those how many will be young like herself that she’s likely to make a friendship group with (she’s 17 at the moment)
2. What sort of opportunities are there for nights out etc. Clubbing, stuff like that. (In non Covid times).

Much appreciated

Hi @Studio1972,

Don't worry about asking questions - that's what forums like this are for!

It's difficult to give an indication of cohort size - they vary year on year and the pandemic is likely to have resulted in slightly lower student numbers for 2020/21 entry (and may see slightly higher numbers in 2021/22 entry).

In terms of age, the majority of our undergraduate students will come straight through from A-level - so are likely to be a similar age to your daughter. That said, there will probably be a proportion of 'mature' students (like me!) on the course as well however because you're all in the same boat and studying together, I can honestly say I don't think age gaps are that noticeable at uni. On my MA course, I had friends who were in their early 20s and a friend in his 60s - we all got on together and used to chat/go for coffee etc.

Having been to university as both an undergraduate at 18 and then returned as a postgraduate at 33, one of the best things about the university experience is the diversity of the people that you meet, and the variety of friends you can make. Keele is no different to any other university in that respect - there's plenty of opportunities to meet new people, from your flat/housemates to friends on your course and friends made by joining clubs and societies. Freshers events are deliberately designed to allow students to meet other students - everyone is in the same boat of not knowing anyone when they arrive so clubs, societies, courses, and the SU all put a lot of effort into creating spaces where students can get to know each other and find their people.

In terms of nights out, Keele isn't as quiet as you might think! Whilst it's certainly not a 'city' university, the SU and the KPA both run some great nights out on campus, often with live music and DJ sets. Lots of the sports clubs and societies also run nights out, both at the SU and in Newcastle/Stoke, where there are a good range of bars, restaurants and clubs. And for more of a 'city' night on the town, it's only a hop on the train to get to Birmingham or Manchester too.

Plus there's also a range of other activities to do on campus - we have a huge range of societies and clubs (https://keelesu.com/activities/clubs-societies/) who run everything from sports events to board/card game nights, movie nights, coffee mornings, and book clubs! Plus there are cafes and bars on campus that offer a range of 'evenings out' from club nights to headphone discos, pub quizzes, cheese and wine evenings etc etc.

Your daughter might find it reassuring to speak to some current students at Keele about their experiences, and to get a sense of what life is like on campus. We've got a range of our current students available to speak to on Unibuddy at https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/chat/ - they'd be more than happy to share their experiences of studying and settling in/making friends at Keele. I'll also tag @Keele Student Ambassador1 who I know has lived both on campus and in the nearby town and can tell you more about the local area and her experiences.

Hope that helps!

Much appreciated

Thanks for the tag @Keele Postgraduate!

Hi @Studio1972! As Amy mentioned, I have lived both on campus and in the nearby town, Newcastle-under-Lyme. I also can't say for sure what sort of mix of students the Radiography cohort would have but I can say that Keele does make an effort to make sure that there is a great,oxof students in on campus accommodation. For example, I came to university when I was 19 and lived in an 8 person flat on campus. I had a flatmate who was my age, four who were 18 and 2 who were older, so we had a great mix of people. We all got along really well, so much that I am living with two of them this year!
Furthermore, I study Physics with Astrophysics as an undergraduate and from my experience most of the students from my course were just out of high school or just out of a gap year, so around 18-19 in first year. We had around 6-8 mature students in a class of about 60 people.

In terms of nights out, as Amy mentioned in her response, the Students Union and the clubs and societies run lots of weekly events that are very popular among the students. There's also a range of clubs, pubs and restaurants dotted on the high street of Newcastle-under-Lyme, so it tends to be quite busy on Friday and Saturday night (pre-covid). There's also a range of clubs and restaurants in Hanley, which is the Stoke city centre. Also, as Amy mentioned cities like Manchester and Birmingham are only 40-50 minutes away on the train!
Original post by Keele Rep
Hi there!

Hi, I have an upcoming interview with Keele university and I’m very stressed about it. Can you please tell me what kind of specific questions I can expect in my interview for my diagnostic radiography course.

Quick Reply

Latest