The Student Room Group

Radiography

Hi, im choosing a degree at the moment and i wanted to know peoples thoughts on radiography as a career as i am really stuck between psychology and radiography. If i was to do psychology i would also do a masters in clinical or forensic psych. I just wanted to know peoples thoughts and opinions on radiography, and wanted to know abit more about what its like and whether its worth choosing.
Original post by Random18374748
Hi, im choosing a degree at the moment and i wanted to know peoples thoughts on radiography as a career as i am really stuck between psychology and radiography. If i was to do psychology i would also do a masters in clinical or forensic psych. I just wanted to know peoples thoughts and opinions on radiography, and wanted to know abit more about what its like and whether its worth choosing.

I’m in the exact same position I’m deciding between studying psychology to go in to clinical psychology or radiography ive researched both but I’m unsure . I’m studying psychology as one of my alevels and find it interesting but the career I’d want to go into is clinical psychology but Ik that’s really competitive and I also have an interest in diagnostic radiography as well as sonography. Does anyone know if a masters is required for radiography and if not how does doing the masters change your position? Also how could u go from radiography to sonography ?
Radiography has better job prospects I believe
Original post by zara ijaz
I’m in the exact same position I’m deciding between studying psychology to go in to clinical psychology or radiography ive researched both but I’m unsure . I’m studying psychology as one of my alevels and find it interesting but the career I’d want to go into is clinical psychology but Ik that’s really competitive and I also have an interest in diagnostic radiography as well as sonography. Does anyone know if a masters is required for radiography and if not how does doing the masters change your position? Also how could u go from radiography to sonography ?

You can do an undergraduate degree for diagnostic or therapauetic radiography and then start work (no masters required). You would need a suitable degree (eg radiography, nursing, midwifery) and a postgraduate diploma to become a sonographer. There is a national shortage of both diagnostic and therapauetic radiographers so a job is pretty much guaranteed on graduation. If you study in England, you will also benefit from an annual payment (currently £6,000 for radiography) for each of your three years of study from the NHS Learning Support Fund.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf

The approved course providers for sonography are listed in the PDF on the following link:

http://www.case-uk.org/course-directory/
Original post by normaw
You can do an undergraduate degree for diagnostic or therapauetic radiography and then start work (no masters required). You would need a suitable degree (eg radiography, nursing, midwifery) and a postgraduate diploma to become a sonographer. There is a national shortage of both diagnostic and therapauetic radiographers so a job is pretty much guaranteed on graduation. If you study in England, you will also benefit from an annual payment (currently £6,000 for radiography) for each of your three years of study from the NHS Learning Support Fund.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf

The approved course providers for sonography are listed in the PDF on the following link:

http://www.case-uk.org/course-directory/

So if I studied radiography at undergraduate level and then did a msc for diagnostic radiography at Leeds I could do sonography?
So if I studied radiography at undergraduate level and then did a msc for diagnostic radiography at Leeds I could do sonography?

I believe so. The Diagnostic Imaging (Medical Ultrasound) MSc takes 36 months (part time):

https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/j422/diagnostic-imaging-medical-ultrasound-msc

However, you could also consider the PG diploma that takes 12 months:

https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/j423/diagnostic-imaging-medical-ultrasound-pgdip

Read the entry requirements on both of the links.

I'm so happy i am not the only one stressing about all of this, but i think i have decided to go with diagnostic radiography now, and no a masters is not required you can pretty much get a job in the NHS after you have graduated. I have also thought about doing a physician associate degree after diagnostic radiography, but i am still not 100% sure about that yet.

you are missing the point. you don't need a master. you just need to do a post graduate diploma in sonography.
(edited 1 year ago)
if you can afford to study in US, i would recommend you do sonography over there, it offers much much much higher salary.
Dental hygienist is another great profession. It will take just 2 years to become a dental hygienist in Australia, shorter course duration and better salary than UK.
Reply 10
Original post by Random18374748

I know its a year later but what did you decide in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest