The Student Room Group

Help with word count

Hi, I'm really struggling with word count assignments. I seem to go over count by 1,000/ 2,000 words. I then struggle to decide what I should delete. Any tips are welcome. Thanks in advance
Original post by Samdhillon
Hi, I'm really struggling with word count assignments. I seem to go over count by 1,000/ 2,000 words. I then struggle to decide what I should delete. Any tips are welcome. Thanks in advance

Hey. What I do when it comes to assignments with limited words is to first jot down any ideas you have about that topic. Then, you could put them into different sub-titles. (So say you have a History assignment, write down some quick ideas and then put them into different timelines such as 1939, 1940, etc.) I hate using mind-maps as they can be really messy but with these sorts of things, they do work. Then divide the word count buy the number of paragraphs/subtitles you have. (Say your word count is 5,000 and you've come up with 10 paragraphs, 5000/10= 500 words) This then gives you a set number of words for each paragraph. Hopefully then you won't go over. Sorry if it doesn't make sense, it's quite hard to explain.

Good Luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Charlie99w
Hey. What I do when it comes to assignments with limited words is to first jot down any ideas you have about that topic. Then, you could put them into different sub-titles. (So say you have a History assignment, write down some quick ideas and then put them into different timelines such as 1939, 1940, etc.) I hate using mind-maps as they can be really messy but with these sorts of things, they do work. Then divide the word count buy the number of paragraphs/subtitles you have. (Say your word count is 5,000 and you've come up with 10 paragraphs, 5000/10= 500 words) This then gives you a set number of words for each paragraph. Hopefully then you won't go over. Sorry if it doesn't make sense, it's quite hard to explain.

Good Luck!

Hi Charlie, thank you for your help. Sounds good, I will try that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending