The Student Room Group

GRW Fare Evasion

Today I made a stupid quick decision in my head.

I had to run to my train from work, made it just in time, but obviously didnt have time to buy a ticket (I hadnt got the train in the morning so I didn't have a return like normal)
I genuinely couldnt buy it on the train as I had no signal, when I got to my station (where they have barriers) I got on to the platform, got signal and purchased a ticket, I thought ya know what I'm really really strapped for cash this month with the current situation in the world it took its toll on me, I'll just get it from the station before this save me a couple quid, I did that, now what I didn't see was a bunch of ticket inspectors at the end of the platform, and clearly one of them clocked me.
I showed them the ticket, I said sorry blah blah, and they took my details and said they pass my details on to the prosecution department, and I will get a letter from them. Obviously this is going to be seen as deliberate evasion

Has anyone else had this happen? I've heard multiple stories about people going to court because of this! I'm really scared and cant stop thinking about it (I have quite severe anxiety so something like this I literally don't stop worrying and thinking about it!) I just want to hear if anyone has had anything similar happen if they could share there experience?
Obviously learnt my lesson and I'm happy to take a slap on the wrist and a fine, but I don't want to get a criminal record or go to court!
Reply 1
Original post by frankie040897

I had to run to my train from work, made it just in time, but obviously didnt have time to buy a ticket (I hadnt got the train in the morning so I didn't have a return like normal)
I genuinely couldnt buy it on the train as I had no signal, when I got to my station (where they have barriers) I got on to the platform, got signal and purchased a ticket, I thought ya know what I'm really really strapped for cash this month with the current situation in the world it took its toll on me, I'll just get it from the station before this save me a couple quid, I did that, now what I didn't see was a bunch of ticket inspectors at the end of the platform, and clearly one of them clocked me.
I showed them the ticket, I said sorry blah blah, and they took my details and said they pass my details on to the prosecution department, and I will get a letter from them. Obviously this is going to be seen as deliberate evasion

Has anyone else had this happen? I've heard multiple stories about people going to court because of this! I'm really scared and cant stop thinking about it (I have quite severe anxiety so something like this I literally don't stop worrying and thinking about it!) I just want to hear if anyone has had anything similar happen if they could share there experience?
Obviously learnt my lesson and I'm happy to take a slap on the wrist and a fine, but I don't want to get a criminal record or go to court!

Hi, I'm not 100% sure but I think it's just a fine for first time offenders, normally they just do it at the station and it's like £20 and your done for the day so maybe because of covid they are sending letters instead of doing it on the spot?

Stay calm, wait for the letter and go from there, unfortunately it was a mistake and you had a genuine excuse so I wouldn't panic yet! They may just say you will get a letter to scare you, people have done way worse!
Reply 2

If you purchased the ticket on your phone, how could you get rumbled by the ticket inspectors for buying the ticket at the stop before instead of your original departure point, they don't know where you got on.
Original post by ANM775
If you purchased the ticket on your phone, how could you get rumbled by the ticket inspectors for buying the ticket at the stop before instead of your original departure point, they don't know where you got on.

I purchased it when I got off the train onto the platform to leave at the stop the train was terminating, I couldn’t purchase on the train I don’t get any signal on the train, but I didn’t see there was a bunch of inspectors at the end of the platform checking and they clearly saw me do it. they just kept interrogating me coz I couldn’t prove I got on at early, and it’s still technically against the law to board in the first place without a ticket
A long time ago me and atticus tried to board a newfangled steam train. We ran alongside it as fast as our feet would carry, our caps nearly falling off we ran and ran alongside that great steel beast clambering for an opportunity to free ourselves from the bonds of our mundane lives to explore for a chance at adventure. Suddenly the train jolted to a halt and we pulled ourselves aboard. Freedom! I shouted. At that point the ticket inspector walked past and i made a promise to myself never to drink the water at oxford university because of all the chemicals the illuminati were putting in it. Seriously google Qanon the new world order is trying to put us all in fema camps so they can take over the world with lizard creatures it's real.

Source this documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQ2t_yNHQs
Reply 5
I purchased it when I got off the train onto the platform to leave at the stop the train was terminating, I couldn’t purchase on the train I don’t get any signal on the train, but I didn’t see there was a bunch of inspectors at the end of the platform checking and they clearly saw me do it. they just kept interrogating me coz I couldn’t prove I got on at early, and it’s still technically against the law to board in the first place without a ticket

No it's not.

Here's a tip, do some research on the matter it may just save you a lot of money someday...

(I've saved hundreds of pounds in fairs, and been asked for my ticket by inspectors several times. Never even been issued a fine...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending