The Student Room Group

TFL Fare Evasion - Using Discounted Card

I’m 17, so naturally - I have a 16+ Oyster card. A couple of days ago, I lost my Oyster card and I figured I’d use my sister’s, who has a 11-15 Oyster.

Now, I don’t know what the difference between the two cards are - but I checked, and they give the same fare discounts. So, this shouldn’t be fare evasion, right?

Anyways, I got caught out while trying to take the Overground at Liverpool Street and had my details taken, and a fine - which I managed to pay on the spot. Despite this, when I asked for my sister’s card back - they said that the TfL will send it on post.

So that infers there must be a letter coupled along with the card. Does anyone know what this letter would entail? Is it a court notice? Anything legal?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’m 17, so naturally - I have a 16+ Oyster card. A couple of days ago, I lost my Oyster card and I figured I’d use my sister’s, who has a 11-15 Oyster.

Now, I don’t know what the difference between the two cards are - but I checked, and they give the same fare discounts. So, this shouldn’t be fare evasion, right?

Anyways, I got caught out while trying to take the Overground at Liverpool Street and had my details taken, and a fine - which I managed to pay on the spot. Despite this, when I asked for my sister’s card back - they said that the TfL will send it on post.

So that infers there must be a letter coupled along with the card. Does anyone know what this letter would entail? Is it a court notice? Anything legal?

Presumably they'll be sending it back to your sister, not to you.

Assuming they have no reason to believe that she gave the card to you within the intention that you use it, I can't see that there would be anything "legal" in the letter, or any kind of "court notice".

I would imagine, though, that there would be a reminder that she is not allowed to give the card to anyone else, or allow anyone else to use it.

I assume that they confiscated it to prevent you using it again, and to ensure it would be returned to the rightful holder.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there!

I’m presuming that the “fine” you paid was actually a penalty fare. If so, this will likely be the end of the matter - by issuing this TfL have waived the right to seek prosecution for this in the magistrates court.

It is likely that the card will be reissued (as if you had it, they cannot confirm the rightful owner still has access to it). They may be warned about what happened and be reminded of the importance of vigilance in the matter of this card.

Don’t panic - as far as I can see the matter is resolved. Just don’t do it again, as you are lucky to have been given the option of a penalty fare and almost certainly wouldn’t be given this option if you were caught again!

Quick Reply

Latest