The Student Room Group

The Official "Which Dental School Should I Apply To?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mesopotamian.
What do you mean by the bit in bold? KCL will use your new UCAT score, not the one you had last year. Also they require A*AA and you've only got AAA so you'll be rejected instantly.

Plymouth also require A*AA so you can't apply there.
Cardiff and Manchester are okay.

no as autumn exams this year for our year (i just finished a levels) don’t count as resits they count as a first sitting as exams were cancelled. Kings emailed me saying that if i get an A* in the autumn exams then i can join in 2021 without the need for interview/ucat score which is why i’m reapplying there again. also i read on Plymouth’s website that it says A*AA-AAB would i still not be able to apply with AAA?
Original post by user2105
no as autumn exams this year for our year (i just finished a levels) don’t count as resits they count as a first sitting as exams were cancelled. Kings emailed me saying that if i get an A* in the autumn exams then i can join in 2021 without the need for interview/ucat score which is why i’m reapplying there again. also i read on Plymouth’s website that it says A*AA-AAB would i still not be able to apply with AAA?

sorry to clear up confusion i was already an offer holder that’s why King’s emailed me this
Original post by user2105

I see, fair enough if KCL have told you that then that’s fine.
Standard entry to Plymouth is A*AA. If you read carefully, the AAB is a contextual offer, so you can apply with AAA if you’re eligible for their contextual offer.
Original post by Josh burns
Like for medicine to be selected for UOBs interview 20 percent is contexual so i thought it would be the same for dentistry.

Also i thought unis like newcastle and bristol is ucat heavy which would mean itll be more strategic to apply there. ( I'm sorry this statement is on the assumption that its the same for both medicine and dentistry)

Medicine and Dentistry requirements aren’t always the same. For example, when I was applying, KCL wanted AAA for medicine, but A*AA for dentistry (they now want A*AA for medicine too so they’ve changed that).

Newcastle uses a threshold which in the past has been 637-650 so you’re fine to apply there. Bristol apply a 35% weighting to UCAT but don’t take into account SJT - so that’s also strategic for you.
Hey guys my stats are:
GCSEs: A*9888888(short course RS)77776(economics)
Predicted A levels: AAA
UCAT : 2630 B3
I was looking at Newcastle (eligible for partners), Plymouth , Bristol , Sheffield, Cardiff and Liverpool. Are these okay?
(edited 3 years ago)
Medicine and Dentistry requirements aren’t always the same. For example, when I was applying, KCL wanted AAA for medicine, but A*AA for dentistry (they now want A*AA for medicine too so they’ve changed that).

Newcastle uses a threshold which in the past has been 637-650 so you’re fine to apply there. Bristol apply a 35% weighting to UCAT but don’t take into account SJT - so that’s also strategic for you.

thank you
Original post by BlazeFalcon
Hey guys my stats are:
GCSEs: A*9888888(short course RS)77776(economics)
Predicted A levels: AAA
UCAT : 2630 B3
I was looking at Newcastle (eligible for partners), Plymouth , Bristol , Sheffield, Cardiff and Liverpool. Are these okay?

You have 13 GCSEs? :K:
- Newcastle: yes but they use a threshold which in the past has been 637-650 so might weaken your application.
- Plymouth: want A*AA so unless you're eligible for their contextual offer of AAB then no
- Bristol: that's fine. Be aware that they place the most emphasis on UCAT and personal statement (35% each) whereas GCSE and A Level are only 15%
- Sheffield: yes
- Cardiff: yes
- Liverpool: yes

You can only apply to 4 dental schools though so you'll have to eliminate 2 from your list
You have 13 GCSEs? :K:
- Newcastle: yes but they use a threshold which in the past has been 637-650 so might weaken your application.
- Plymouth: want A*AA so unless you're eligible for their contextual offer of AAB then no
- Bristol: that's fine. Be aware that they place the most emphasis on UCAT and personal statement (35% each) whereas GCSE and A Level are only 15%
- Sheffield: yes
- Cardiff: yes
- Liverpool: yes

You can only apply to 4 dental schools though so you'll have to eliminate 2 from your list

oh damn do bristol have a 35% weighing of the ps to get an interview. Lol mines so bad im done
Hi looking to apply to dentistry this year :smile:
GCSE 999988887
A level predictions AAA in bio chem and physics and an A in EPQ
UCAT 637.5 average (2550 total) with Band 2 SJT
eligible for a contextual offer under Newcastle Partners scheme, completed an access programme for Manchester Uni and an AAB offer if a B is achieved in EPQ for Sheffield
looking to apply to Manchester, Liverpool, Cardiff and stuck between Newcastle and Sheffield
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi my stats are:

GCSE’s: 2 A* 6A’s 2 B’s🤢
A level predictions : AAA
UCAT : 2660 Band 1

I’m planning on applying to Cardiff (my gcse’s are low i know, but the reason i’m applying there is because i took part in one of their WE programmes, so that got me a guaranteed interview), Plymouth, Sheffield and Liverpool/Newcastle

Would the universities in bold be a wise choice?
oh damn do bristol have a 35% weighing of the ps to get an interview. Lol mines so bad im done

why do u think ur PS is bad?
Original post by barb4ever
Hi looking to apply to dentistry this year :smile:
GCSE 999988887
A level predictions AAA in bio chem and physics and an A in EPQ
UCAT 637.5 average (2550 total) with Band 2 SJT
eligible for a contextual offer under Newcastle Partners scheme, completed an access programme for Manchester Uni and an AAB offer if a B is achieved in EPQ for Sheffield
looking to apply to Manchester, Liverpool, Cardiff and stuck between Newcastle and Sheffield

- Is the contextual offer for Newcastle based on A Level grade alone? If so Sheffield would be the better option as Newcastle have a UCAT threshold which in the past has been 637-650 which would be a risky choice.
- Manchester: fine
- Cardiff: fine
- Liverpool: fine - they used GCSEs to shortlist for interview, and yours are strong so would be a good choice
Original post by klywi03
Hi my stats are:

GCSE’s: 2 A* 6A’s 2 B’s🤢
A level predictions : AAA
UCAT : 2660 Band 1

I’m planning on applying to Cardiff (my gcse’s are low i know, but the reason i’m applying there is because i took part in one of their WE programmes, so that got me a guaranteed interview), Plymouth, Sheffield and Liverpool/Newcastle

Would the universities in bold be a wise choice?

Are you applying as a grad or resit applicant?
- Plymouth require A*AA so unless you are eligible for their contextual offer of AAB, you don't meet their requirement
- Sheffield: what are your 2 grade Bs in? Sheffield required English Lang and sciences at grade 7/A
- Liverpool: yes, but be aware they use GCSEs to shortlist for interview
- Newcastle: yes
Are you applying as a grad or resit applicant?
- Plymouth require A*AA so unless you are eligible for their contextual offer of AAB, you don't meet their requirement
- Sheffield: what are your 2 grade Bs in? Sheffield required English Lang and sciences at grade 7/A
- Liverpool: yes, but be aware they use GCSEs to shortlist for interview
- Newcastle: yes

As an undergraduate (I’m in year 13).
I think I’m eligible for their contextual offer but I’m wondering how I would confirm this with them?..:confused:

Also my B’s were in English Literature and Numeracy (I got A’s for science and english language)
Original post by klywi03
why do u think ur PS is bad?

like i have no good introduction and my teachers havent even reviewed it once so idek what to improve on
like i have no good introduction and my teachers havent even reviewed it once so idek what to improve onto

you still have quite some time to improve it, so take the opportunity because even if ur not applying to bristol (the uni which probably puts the most emphasis on the PS), it will probably still be used elsewhere by other uni’s

don’t lose hope and keep working on it! :smile:
Original post by klywi03
you still have quite some time to improve it, so take the opportunity because even if ur not applying to bristol (the uni which probably puts the most emphasis on the PS), it will probably still be used elsewhere by other uni’s

don’t lose hope and keep working on it! :smile:

thank you very much
Reply 37
Is 2640 band 1 ucat too risky for kings? I’m so upset because I got 2850 band 1 last year - doing it at home this time was the biggest mistake :frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 38
Hi guys, my stats are:
GCSEs - 99988777766 (6 in maths:frown:)
UCAT - 2680 Band 1
A levels predicted - A*A*A* and an A in my EPQ
I've done 4 days at a general dental practise and 5 days virtual work exp w Plymouth

I'm thinking of applying to Newcastle (PARTNERS), Manchester, Sheffield & Liverpool.
Do you think my stats are strong enough for these uni's? Do you think my stats are strong enough for these Uni's? Im worried about my GCSE's and UCAT not being strong enough for some of these unis?
(edited 3 years ago)
This is a thread for all prospective dental students and hopeful applicants to post their academic + UCAT stats if unsure or confused about where to apply and want some advice.

Ask any questions you might have about applying to dental schools here. Please give details about your GCSE grades, UCAT score with SJT band and A Level predictions.

Click here for details on dentistry entry requirements.

Please note that entry requirements for graduate and pre-dentistry entry are still being updated so if you have an questions specifically for these courses, post below

Click here to read a useful dentistry applicant FAQ.

Some dentistry forum house rules

Spoiler

GCSE= 5 As in sciences maths and business
UCAT= 2810 band 3
a level predictions= 3 A's
done 1 week clinical placement
done 6 week online work experience

Quick Reply

Latest