The Student Room Group

The Official "Which Dental School Should I Apply To?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mesopotamian.
Are you applying as a grad or resit applicant?
- Plymouth require A*AA so unless you are eligible for their contextual offer of AAB, you don't meet their requirement
- Sheffield: what are your 2 grade Bs in? Sheffield required English Lang and sciences at grade 7/A
- Liverpool: yes, but be aware they use GCSEs to shortlist for interview
- Newcastle: yes

I thought Kings and Barts were the only uni’s that require A*AA?
Original post by klywi03
I thought Kings and Barts were the only uni’s that require A*AA?

https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/bds-dental-surgery
Original post by Adamdekla123
GCSE= 5 As in sciences maths and business
UCAT= 2810 band 3
a level predictions= 3 A's
done 1 week clinical placement
done 6 week online work experience

No English lit/lang GCSEs?
Original post by klywi03
As an undergraduate (I’m in year 13).
I think I’m eligible for their contextual offer but I’m wondering how I would confirm this with them?..:confused:

Also my B’s were in English Literature and Numeracy (I got A’s for science and english language)

I think the information used for contextual offers should already be given on the UCAS application (i.e. low participation post-code etc) so dental schools will screen for this - maybe knows more about how schools receive contextual information.

Original post by ramzinoo
Is 2640 band 1 ucat too risky for kings? I’m so upset because I got 2850 band 1 last year - doing it at home this time was the biggest mistake :frown:

Can't tell as you haven't provided information regarding GSCEs and A Levels.

Original post by ang.x
Hi guys, my stats are:
GCSEs - 99988777766 (6 in maths:frown:)
UCAT - 2680 Band 1
A levels predicted - A*A*A* and an A in my EPQ
I've done 4 days at a general dental practise and 5 days virtual work exp w Plymouth

I'm thinking of applying to Newcastle (PARTNERS), Manchester, Sheffield & Liverpool.
Do you think my stats are strong enough for these uni's? Do you think my stats are strong enough for these Uni's? Im worried about my GCSE's and UCAT not being strong enough for some of these unis?

Your UCAT is fine.
- Sheffield require grade 7 at maths GCSE which you don't have
You're fine for the others. I'm not sure what Newcastle's requirements are for GCSEs so maybe a quick email would be good to check your 6 in maths would be acceptable.
Reply 44
Hi I'm currently in year 13 and unsure where to apply.
my GCSEs are:
maths - 8
English lit - 7
English lang 7
combined science - 8:8
French - 8
Psychology - 7
History - 7
Sociology - 6

A- levels
Biology
Chemistry
Psychology
I've not been told my predictions but from what I can gather it would be around A*AA/AAA

UCAT Score 2590 band 1

My current choices are kings college,liverpool,glasgow and last one unsure
I wanted to apply to Birmingham but I don't think my GCSEs and ucat will be high enough as I know they have a high weighting on that.Kings is my risky choice because of the grades but the others are interchangeable.I want to use the band 1 to my advantage but many universities don't look as sjt until interview or even at all.Newcastle has a cut off score which is very close to what I got so might be risky and I think Glasgow do as well im just not sure what it is.

Any advice on my uni choices or other unis that I could have a better chance of being accepted at would be great.Based on this information where would be my best chance do you think?
thanks
Reply 45
Can't tell as you haven't provided information regarding GSCEs and A Levels.

My gcses are strong and a levels are a*aa, just worried about my ucat
Reply 46
Hi guys so I just did my UCAT and I’m very disappointed with my score (632.5) I want to apply for undergraduate dentistry as a graduate, I have been predicted a first in my course and now I have no idea on where to apply to, I feel like my score is so low and I don’t have a clue on what unis would accept it
Hi,

Currently year 13
UCAT 2700
SJT Band 2
GCSE: Maths 9, English Lang 9, Chemistry 8, Biology 8, English Lit 7, Physics 7, DT 7, Computer Science 7, RE 6, Spanish 5.
A levels: Biology, Maths & Chemistry predicted A,A,A wanted to apply to Cardiff, Shefield, Birmingham & Plymouth but just seen Plymouth want A*,A,A.
I think my UCAT is probably just too low for Bristol. Any advice on final choice.

Many thanks.
Original post by taralll
Hi guys so I just did my UCAT and I’m very disappointed with my score (632.5) I want to apply for undergraduate dentistry as a graduate, I have been predicted a first in my course and now I have no idea on where to apply to, I feel like my score is so low and I don’t have a clue on what unis would accept it

Depending on what a levels u got, u can apply to many places with that score don't worry :smile:
Original post by ramzinoo
My gcses are strong and a levels are a*aa, just worried about my ucat

Your score falls in the 6th decile (interim results). If your other stats are strong it should be okay for KCL. They don't use thresholds however so basing it off UCAT alone is tricky.
Original post by zj15
my GCSEs are:
maths - 8
English lit - 7
English lang 7
French - 8
Psychology - 7
History - 7
Sociology - 6

A- levels
Biology
Chemistry
Psychology
I've not been told my predictions but from what I can gather it would be around A*AA/AAA

UCAT Score 2590 band 1

I wanted to apply to Birmingham but I don't think my GCSEs and ucat will be high enough as I know they have a high weighting on that.Kings is my risky choice because of the grades but the others are interchangeable.I want to use the band 1 to my advantage but many universities don't look as sjt until interview or even at all.Newcastle has a cut off score which is very close to what I got so might be risky and I think Glasgow do as well im just not sure what it is.

Any advice on my uni choices or other unis that I could have a better chance of being accepted at would be great.Based on this information where would be my best chance do you think?
thanks

- Glasgow might be a bit risky. They have a UCAT threshold which is usually above the national average. The interim average is 2578, which could go up or down in the final results, so it's your call
- KCL: you'd have to ascertain an A* prediction in biology or chemistry to apply there. KCL is quite heavy on stats in general so may be a little risky
- Liverpool: that's fine.
- I'd agree that Newcastle is probably a risky choice due to their cutoffs (637-650 in past years which you fall in the middle of).

I'd probably also avoid Barts due to a 50% weighting on UCAT.

Other universities you could look at (I'm not saying you are certain to get an offer at these, but your stats meet their requirements, so worth considering): Dundee, Birmingham, Sheffield, Manchester (give preference to Band 1 applicants which is in your favour), Cardiff and Plymouth (If you can get an A*AA prediction, they have a low UCAT cut-off)
based off the interim results, would newcastle & glasgow still be good choices for 2820 b1?
Original post by taralll

Avoid Barts, Newcastle and Glasgow, possibly Bristol aswell
Plymouth require GAMSAT and Leeds require BMAT so those are ruled out too

What are your A Levels and GCSEs? Grads have a different criteria to meet at some schools
Original post by m.melville
based off the interim results, would newcastle & glasgow still be good choices for 2820 b1?

Yes, your UCAT is fine for any school
Original post by PatchMccoid
Hi,

Currently year 13
UCAT 2700
SJT Band 2
GCSE: Maths 9, English Lang 9, Chemistry 8, Biology 8, English Lit 7, Physics 7, DT 7, Computer Science 7, RE 6, Spanish 5.
A levels: Biology, Maths & Chemistry predicted A,A,A wanted to apply to Cardiff, Shefield, Birmingham & Plymouth but just seen Plymouth want A*,A,A.
I think my UCAT is probably just too low for Bristol. Any advice on final choice.

Many thanks.

Your UCAT isn't awful (it's definitely above avg in the interim results so would say it's good) so If you really wanted to go to Bristol I wouldn't rule it out - especially if you have a really good PS to support it
Avoid Plymouth if you don't have the A*AA. Your other choices are good.
Your UCAT isn't awful (it's definitely above avg in the interim results so would say it's good) so If you really wanted to go to Bristol I wouldn't rule it out - especially if you have a really good PS to support it
Avoid Plymouth if you don't have the A*AA. Your other choices are good.

Thank you.
Original post by PatchMccoid
Thank you.

I’ve just emailed Plymouth regarding their A*AA-AAB requirement because it’s a bit misleading on their website - I’ll get back to you on what they say regarding their requirements and whether a non-contextual AAA prediction would be acceptable.

@klywi03 read above ^
check PM <3 @Mesopotamian.
Original post by Josh burns
Hello,

I'm in year 13 this year and hoping to apply to dentistry this year.

GCSES:

Maths - 8
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
English lit - 7
English language - 7
History - 9
RE - 9
computer science - 8
Geography - 7
French - 3 lol

UCAT:

2810 and Band 2

I will be predicted AAA

I'm not sure where to apply any advice would be helpful

Thanks in advance

Original post by zj15
my GCSEs are:
maths - 8
English lit - 7
English lang 7
French - 8
Psychology - 7
History - 7
Sociology - 6

A- levels
Biology
Chemistry
Psychology

UCAT Score 2590 band 1

thanks

I got the same exact UCAT as you and am going to take the risk to apply to Newcastle and KCL :smile:
I’ve just emailed Plymouth regarding their A*AA-AAB requirement because it’s a bit misleading on their website - I’ll get back to you on what they say regarding their requirements and whether a non-contextual AAA prediction would be acceptable.

@klywi03 read above ^

thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest