The Student Room Group

The Official "Which Dental School Should I Apply To?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

@Malik2403 post your stats here! :smile:
Hi,
My son has good GCSE’s....all 8s except one 9 in history and two 7s in maths and physics.
He scored 2750 on the ucat with band 1 sjt.
His choices are Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool but he’s struggling with his 4th choice.
Would Cardiff or Belfast be better? He seems to fit the criteria for Belfast well but it would be a hassle to get to...
Is Cardiff likely to be much harder to get an interview?
Any help very gratefully received.
(edited 3 years ago)
i’m unsure abt where to apply after the interims :/
gcses: 3A*s 4As and 2Bs (bio + french)
a levels predictions: 3As
ucat: 2450 b2
currently thinking of manchester, plymouth, liverpool i’m still unsure abt the last choice- i qualify for a contextual flag w manchester. i don’t have work experience but i’ve been doing online courses, read articles, volunteering and things that show manual dexterity
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Mesopotamian.
No English lit/lang GCSEs?

6 in lang 5 in lit really let myself down there :frown:
what unis would you reccomend
Original post by bb46
Hi, I was a bit unsure with my choices and just wanted to check if I had a good chance with my chosen choices and wanted some help with my 4th choice.
My stats are:
GCSEs - 999887776 (the 6 is in English Language and the 7s are in English Literature, Geography and French).
A Level Predicted - AAA (likely to change to A*AA or A*A*A.
UCAT - 2452 Band 2.
My choices so far are Manchester (preferred as closest), Liverpool and Birmingham. I am considering Bristol and Plymouth (not preferred as quite far), but overall I am unsure with what to choose as my 4th Dental school option, mainly due to my low UCAT score. I would really appreciate any help or advice.

I'd definitely try and get those predictions pulled up if you can - the higher the better so that it can compensate for the slightly lower UCAT.
- Manchester: fine
- Liverpool: fine
- Birmingham: fine

As for your 4th option, I'd go for Plymouth as you meet their low cut-off score of 2290 whereas Bristol place a 35% weighting on UCAT which may not be ideal for you. However for Plymouth, you'll need an A*AA (their website is a bit misleading and says A*AA-AAB but then seems to allude that AAB is a contextual offer, so I've emailed about that - for now, assume A*AA is the requirement)
Original post by mrsfootyfan
Hi,
My son has good GCSE’s....all 8s except one 9 in history and two 7s in maths and physics.
He scored 2750 on the ucat with band 1 sjt.
His choices are Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool but he’s struggling with his 4th choice.
Would Cardiff or Belfast be better? He seems to fit the criteria for Belfast well but it would be a hassle to get to...
Is Cardiff likely to be much harder to get an interview?
Any help very gratefully received.

Your son has strong overall stats, so either university would be fine, it's best he just chooses which university he would feel happier going to. I can't predict how likely anyone will get an interview as obviously admissions is a multifactorial process, but like I said, his stats are good, so he should just apply to whichever school he likes.
Original post by nightsky24
i’m unsure abt where to apply after the interims :/
gcses: 3A*s 4As and 2Bs (bio + french)
a levels predictions: 3As
ucat: 2450 b2
currently thinking of manchester, plymouth, liverpool i’m still unsure abt the last choice- i qualify for a contextual flag w manchester. i don’t have work experience but i’ve been doing online courses, read articles, volunteering and things that show manual dexterity

Check with Plymouth whether they would accept an AAA - their website says A*AA-AAB but they seem to suggest that AAB is a contextual offer. Its a bit misleading (I've emailed, but the more people who email the better).

Stick with Manchester if you have a contextual.

Unfortunately you seem to miss the requirements of most dental schools due to your GCSEs (the B in biology is a problem) or A Level predictions or your low UCAT lowering your chances or a combination. I can only really advise that you stick with the schools you've chosen (email Plymouth though) and maybe apply to a 4th dental school even though your chances are slim (you meet Bristol requirements, but they place a 35% weighting on UCAT for example). If you get in this year, lovely, but otherwise you'll have to work really hard to get an A*AA at A Level to increase your eligibility for more dental schools, and then hopefully reapply next year.

Are you eligible for a contextual anywhere else apart from Manchester?
Original post by Adamdekla123
6 in lang 5 in lit really let myself down there :frown:
what unis would you reccomend

Original post by Adamdekla123
GCSE= 5 As in sciences maths and business
UCAT= 2810 band 3
a level predictions= 3 A's
done 1 week clinical placement
done 6 week online work experience

You meet the requirements of the following:
- Bristol (they don't take into account SJT so that's good for you)
- Cardiff (although they give preference to those with A at English GCSE and use SJT band)
- Manchester (although SJT may weaken your application)
- Newcastle (I don't know their GCSE requirements so double check with them)
- Dundee
- Queens Belfast (GCSEs may weaken application)

You don't meet the requirements for other dental schools, so have a look at the ones above and see which ones you think you'd like to apply to
Check with Plymouth whether they would accept an AAA - their website says A*AA-AAB but they seem to suggest that AAB is a contextual offer. Its a bit misleading (I've emailed, but the more people who email the better).

Stick with Manchester if you have a contextual.

Unfortunately you seem to miss the requirements of most dental schools due to your GCSEs (the B in biology is a problem) or A Level predictions or your low UCAT lowering your chances or a combination. I can only really advise that you stick with the schools you've chosen (email Plymouth though) and maybe apply to a 4th dental school even though your chances are slim (you meet Bristol requirements, but they place a 35% weighting on UCAT for example). If you get in this year, lovely, but otherwise you'll have to work really hard to get an A*AA at A Level to increase your eligibility for more dental schools, and then hopefully reapply next year.

Are you eligible for a contextual anywhere else apart from Manchester?

thank you! and no unfortunately not
I'm in the 3rd/4th decile for the UCAT, will any Uni's take me for Dentistry?
Hi!

AAA prediction
2370 band 1 ucat
6 (in bio) 7777788889

Which unis should i apply to for dentistry?
currently thinking: bristol, liverpool, plymouth, manchester
All help is much appreciated :smile:
Original post by leenamughal111
Hi!

AAA prediction
2370 band 1 ucat
6 (in bio) 7777788889

bristol has 35% weighting on UCAT, but i’m sure u could strengthen ur application if u have a great personal statement :biggrin: goodluck ! x
hello. Right now I am planning to apply for Newcastle to do dentistry and I'm eligible for the Partners Scheme. I have all the requirments to get into dentistry normally if i apply for the partners scheme would it be somehow risky and disadvantage me. Thanks
Reply 73
This is a thread for all prospective dental students and hopeful applicants to post their academic + UCAT stats if unsure or confused about where to apply and want some advice.

Ask any questions you might have about applying to dental schools here. Please give details about your GCSE grades, UCAT score with SJT band and A Level predictions.

Click here for details on dentistry entry requirements.

Please note that entry requirements for graduate and pre-dentistry entry are still being updated so if you have an questions specifically for these courses, post below

Click here to read a useful dentistry applicant FAQ.

The 2021 interim UCAT test statistics can be accessed here.

Some dentistry forum house rules

Spoiler

Disclaimer

Spoiler

Hi mate,

Great thread, really useful.

I think im screwed but maybe you can provide some advice.
I have 3 A levels in Maths, Chemistry and Biology All 'A' grades.

My Gcse are 98887776

Done my UCAT and screwed it

2450 with a band 4😫😫😫

So just wandering have I got any chance of getting a place on Dentistry. Thanks a lot
Hi I really want to apply to QMUL and Birmingham but I don’t know if I have a chance of getting in to them...

8-Biology, chemistry, physics, German, english lang
7- computing, english lit, geography, maths
6 - religious studies

My current predicted is AAA but i’m hoping to get it to A*AA

UCAT I got 2690 and Band 2

Thank you!

PS is there any other unis you think I’d stand a good chance of getting into?
Original post by JakeWalk
I'm in the 3rd/4th decile for the UCAT, will any Uni's take me for Dentistry?

The only dental schools you can't apply to or have cut-off scores which will most likely be higher than 3rd/4th decile are:
- Newcastle: threshold has been 637-650 in past years so unlikely to make the cut this year
- Leeds: BMAT uni
- Glasgow: cut-off usually above national average

You can apply to other universities, but you'll need to apply strategically. Be aware that:
- Barts have a 50% UCAT weighting
- Bristol have a 35% UCAT weighting
- QUB have a points-based system for UCAT

Original post by leenamughal111
Hi!

AAA prediction
2370 band 1 ucat
6 (in bio) 7777788889

- Bristol is risky as they place a 35% weighting on UCAT
- Liverpool: that's fine
- Plymouth require A*AA (their website says A*AA-AAB but is ambiguous and suggests that AAB is a contextual offer, so is not very clear whether they accept AAA as a standard offer - I've emailed about this and will update when I get a reply - feel free to email them too).
- Manchester: that's fine.

Original post by Josh burns
hello. Right now I am planning to apply for Newcastle to do dentistry and I'm eligible for the Partners Scheme. I have all the requirments to get into dentistry normally if i apply for the partners scheme would it be somehow risky and disadvantage me. Thanks

The website says "have predicted grades that are within one grade of the PARTNERS offer for the course(s) you are applying for" and their offer would be BBB so It may be the case that applying with AAA predictions may cease your eligibility. However, I'm not 100% sure so its best to email dental admissions directly and ask them (I have emailed about this too and will update you if I get a response).

Original post by Pitcher
Hi mate,

Great thread, really useful.

I think im screwed but maybe you can provide some advice.
I have 3 A levels in Maths, Chemistry and Biology All 'A' grades.

My Gcse are 98887776

Done my UCAT and screwed it

2450 with a band 4😫😫😫

So just wandering have I got any chance of getting a place on Dentistry. Thanks a lot

Hi, before I further advise you, do you mind telling me what subject the 6 at GCSE is in?

Original post by ch3ssdre
Hi I really want to apply to QMUL and Birmingham but I don’t know if I have a chance of getting in to them...

8-Biology, chemistry, physics, German, english lang
7- computing, english lit, geography, maths
6 - religious studies

My current predicted is AAA but i’m hoping to get it to A*AA

UCAT I got 2690 and Band 2

Thank you!

PS is there any other unis you think I’d stand a good chance of getting into?

Only apply to Barts/ QMUL if you are sure you can get an A*AA prediction as this is their requirement.
You're fine to apply to Birmingham
In all honesty, your stats are good and meet the requirements of all dental schools so technically can apply to anywhere you feel you'd be happy spending 5 years studying at :smile: Obviously I can't predict what your chances are as unfortunately I don't have a crystal ball, but, if you can write a good PS and push those predictions up you should be fine. If you think of any other dental schools you want to apply to, I'd be happy to advise you further if you want.
@Chopinnocturne31 have you seen this thread?
The only dental schools you can't apply to or have cut-off scores which will most likely be higher than 3rd/4th decile are:
- Newcastle: threshold has been 637-650 in past years so unlikely to make the cut this year
- Leeds: BMAT uni
- Glasgow: cut-off usually above national average

You can apply to other universities, but you'll need to apply strategically. Be aware that:
- Barts have a 50% UCAT weighting
- Bristol have a 35% UCAT weighting
- QUB have a points-based system for UCAT

Hi thanks for your reply, my application is looking really weak tbh and I doubt i'm getting a slight chance anywhere
Original post by Golderz Is Great
@Chopinnocturne31 have you seen this thread?

:yep: I have already chosen my unis though and have even applied so I don’t need this thread anymore :ahee:
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
:yep: I have already chosen my unis though and have even applied so I don’t need this thread anymore :ahee:

oh ok sorry trying to help

my mistake :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest