The Student Room Group

The Official "Which Dental School Should I Apply To?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Golderz Is Great
oh ok sorry trying to help

my mistake :colondollar:

Nooo I really appreciate it. It made me happy. Don’t apologise :frown: you did help!!!!!
Reply 81
Hey everyone, looking on advice on where to apply. Took a gap year to apply for Dentistry but got a low UCAT score this year of 2450, which makes me Band 4.

Am thinking a shortlist of Newcastle (partners program), Bristol (contextual area), Glasgow, Dundee, Birmingham, Sheffield but any advice welcome.

Took a gap year to apply for Dentistry but got a low UCAT score this year of 2450, which makes me Band 4 for SJT.

Actual A-Level results, Mathematics (A), Biology (A), Chemistry (A)

Actual GCSE results, Mathematics 8 (A*), Combined Science 9-8(A*-A*), English Literature 7 (A), English Language 6(B), ICT 8(A*), Business Studies 7(A), Geography 7 (A), Religious Studies 7(A)

Have 1 week of dental work experience and 1 month voluntary work.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
:yep: I have already chosen my unis though and have even applied so I don’t need this thread anymore :ahee:

Did you stick with Barts in the end? :excited:
Original post by ma9alem
Hey everyone, looking on advice on where to apply. Took a gap year to apply for Dentistry but got a low UCAT score this year of 2450, which makes me Band 4.

Am thinking a shortlist of Newcastle, Bristol, Glasgow, Dundee, Birmingham, Sheffield but any advice welcome.

Took a gap year to apply for Dentistry but got a low UCAT score this year of 2450, which makes me Band 4.

Actual GCSE results, Mathematics 8 (A*), Combined Science 9-8(A*-A*), English Literature 7 (A), English Language 6(B), ICT 8(A*), Business Studies 7(A), Geography 7 (A), Religious Studies 7(A)

Hi just to clarify, do you mean you got band 4 in the SJT or that you're in the 4th decile?
Reply 84
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Hi just to clarify, do you mean you got band 4 in the SJT or that you're in the 4th decile?

Band 4 in SJT
Original post by JakeWalk
Hi thanks for your reply, my application is looking really weak tbh and I doubt i'm getting a slight chance anywhere

What are your complete stats?
Sometimes it's best to just consider this year a "practice run" and apply anyway even if you don't think you stand a chance. There's no harm in applying: if you get offers, that's great, but if you don't then it was expected anyway and you can just focus on getting the best A Level results you can and reapply next year.
Sometimes it's best to just consider this year a "practice run" and apply anyway even if you don't think you stand a chance. There's no harm in applying: if you get offers, that's great, but if you don't then it was expected anyway and you can just focus on getting the best A Level results you can and reapply next year.

Looks like I'm applying to Barts as a graduate :frown: not many options for me :frown:
Reply 87
Check with Plymouth whether they would accept an AAA - their website says A*AA-AAB but they seem to suggest that AAB is a contextual offer. Its a bit misleading (I've emailed, but the more people who email the better).

Stick with Manchester if you have a contextual.

Unfortunately you seem to miss the requirements of most dental schools due to your GCSEs (the B in biology is a problem) or A Level predictions or your low UCAT lowering your chances or a combination. I can only really advise that you stick with the schools you've chosen (email Plymouth though) and maybe apply to a 4th dental school even though your chances are slim (you meet Bristol requirements, but they place a 35% weighting on UCAT for example). If you get in this year, lovely, but otherwise you'll have to work really hard to get an A*AA at A Level to increase your eligibility for more dental schools, and then hopefully reapply next year.

Are you eligible for a contextual anywhere else apart from Manchester?

Plymouth informed me via a telephone conversation that AAB is only for a contextual offer. Otherwise they want A*AA
Original post by ma9alem

Am thinking a shortlist of Newcastle, Bristol, Glasgow, Dundee, Birmingham, Sheffield but any advice welcome.

- Newcastle = probably not because their cut-off from 2016-19 has been 637-650 which you miss
- Glasgow = again, cutoff is higher than national average so avoid
- Dundee = fine
- Birmingham = good as they don't consider SJT banding
- Sheffield = they ask for a 7 in English language which you don't have. Not sure if they'll accept a 7 in English lit in lieu so email them about that if you want.

Thanks for the advice and yeah that's the way i was looking at it tbh

My UCAT was: 2490 (430 in VR really brought it down)
My GCSEs are weak as well: Maths + Physics = 7 Biology + Chemistry + English Language + Geography = 6 Religious Studies + English Lit = 5 (and French at a 4) But I also have no work experience (due to COVIID) which I know isn't a requirement this year but I'm struggling for things to write about in my personal statement.
Original post by ma9alem
Plymouth informed me via a telephone conversation that AAB is only for a contextual offer. Otherwise they want A*AA

Amazing, thank you for this info, just as I thought but they should probably make that more clearer on their website as its quite ambiguous :s-smilie:
Did you stick with Barts in the end? :excited:

Yep!! :yep: I can’t pass up the opportunity to go to the same uni as the tsr queen of dentistry (imagine that hailing emoji here bc idk the code for it :lol: )

The website says "have predicted grades that are within one grade of the PARTNERS offer for the course(s) you are applying for" and their offer would be BBB so It may be the case that applying with AAA predictions may cease your eligibility. However, I'm not 100% sure so its best to email dental admissions directly and ask them (I have emailed about this too and will update you if I get a response).

Thank you very much lemme know how it goes
Original post by JakeWalk
Thanks for the advice and yeah that's the way i was looking at it tbh

My UCAT was: 2490 (430 in VR really brought it down)
My GCSEs are weak as well: Maths + Physics = 7 Biology + Chemistry + English Language + Geography = 6 Religious Studies + English Lit = 5 (and French at a 4) But I also have no work experience (due to COVIID) which I know isn't a requirement this year but I'm struggling for things to write about in my personal statement.

Okay based on your GCSEs, you're not eligible for:
- Barts/ QMUL
- Sheffield
- Liverpool
- Birmingham
- Glasgow
- Dundee

You are still eligible for a few others, but what are your predictions and your SJT banding?
Reply 94
- Newcastle = probably not because their cut-off from 2016-19 has been 637-650 which you miss
- Glasgow = again, cutoff is higher than national average so avoid
- Dundee = fine
- Birmingham = good as they don't consider SJT banding
- Sheffield = they ask for a 7 in English language which you don't have. Not sure if they'll accept a 7 in English lit in lieu so email them about that if you want.

Which other 2 unis do you recommend?
What about Bristol with the contextual offer based on postcode?
Would Newcastle not lower the UCAT mark if you are on the Partners program?
What about Cardiff or Queen's University Belfast?
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
Yep!! :yep: I can’t pass up the opportunity to go to the same uni as the tsr queen of dentistry (imagine that hailing emoji here bc idk the code for it :lol: )

This one :adore:? :tongue:
This one :adore:? :tongue:

Yes :adore: thanks for that :lol:
Only apply to Barts/ QMUL if you are sure you can get an A*AA prediction as this is their requirement.
You're fine to apply to Birmingham
In all honesty, your stats are good and meet the requirements of all dental schools so technically can apply to anywhere you feel you'd be happy spending 5 years studying at :smile: Obviously I can't predict what your chances are as unfortunately I don't have a crystal ball, but, if you can write a good PS and push those predictions up you should be fine. If you think of any other dental schools you want to apply to, I'd be happy to advise you further if you want.

Only apply to Barts/ QMUL if you are sure you can get an A*AA prediction as this is their requirement.
You're fine to apply to Birmingham
In all honesty, your stats are good and meet the requirements of all dental schools so technically can apply to anywhere you feel you'd be happy spending 5 years studying at :smile: Obviously I can't predict what your chances are as unfortunately I don't have a crystal ball, but, if you can write a good PS and push those predictions up you should be fine. If you think of any other dental schools you want to apply to, I'd be happy to advise you further if you want.

Thanks!! I’ve picked Leeds, Newcastle and Plymouth so far... and just trying to pick my last choice.

My only worry with Birmingham is that apparently they have really high weighting on GCSEs? and my GCSEs are lower than most dental applicants.

I like the look of Bristol too, but apparently they’re really picky? not sure tbh

Thanks for your reply though!!
Original post by ma9alem
Which other 2 unis do you recommend?
What about Bristol with the contextual offer based on postcode?
Would Newcastle not lower the UCAT mark if you are on the Partners program?
What about Cardiff or Queen's University Belfast?

Original post by ma9alem
Am thinking a shortlist of Newcastle (partners program), Bristol (contextual area), Glasgow, Dundee, Birmingham, Sheffield but any advice welcome.

Took a gap year to apply for Dentistry but got a low UCAT score this year of 2450, which makes me Band 4 for SJT.

Have 1 week of dental work experience and 1 month voluntary work.

- I can't see anywhere on the Newcastle Partners webpage that they lower the UCAT score, think it's just the A Level requirements. Contact them to make sure but contextual offers usually involve lowered A Level requirements rather than UCAT.
- Again Bristol's contextual is AAC but you have AAA which isn't the problem. They don't mention anything about lowered UCAT scores.
- Cardiff - you can apply but know that they assess the UCAT score holistically including SJT
- QUB uses a ranking system: your UCAT would gain you 3 points and at GCSE, grade 9s are awarded 4 points and 8/7s are awarded 3 points (grades below 7 are not awarded points) - so you'd get 28. The cut-off in 2019 was 32 so it's your call really

You could apply to Bristol as they don't consider SJT, but they place a 35% weighting on UCAT and PS each so you'd need a strong PS.

Don't apply to Manchester as they don't consider band 4 applicants. Liverpool say they are "unlikely" to consider a band 4 applicant
Original post by ch3ssdre
Thanks!! I’ve picked Leeds, Newcastle and Plymouth so far... and just trying to pick my last choice.

My only worry with Birmingham is that apparently they have really high weighting on GCSEs? and my GCSEs are lower than most dental applicants.

I like the look of Bristol too, but apparently they’re really picky? not sure tbh

Thanks for your reply though!!

I'm not really sure how much emphasis Bham put on GCSEs sorry :redface: Your stats do meet their requirements though so you'll definitely be considered.

Quick Reply

Latest