The Student Room Group

Is it normal to gain weight before your first period?

Does that normally happen,I’ve heard from a friend that you gain weight to help you grow?
Reply 1
Bumpppp
Reply 2
There is a school of thought which links the percentage of body fat in a girl's body with menarche (the start of periods).

It's said to be around 17 per cent, I gather.

I suspect that this is something to do with the body's ability to nourish the foetus should pregnancy occur.

My understanding is, then, that there is a critical weight/fat percentage in a girl's body which allows menarche to occur.

This can be a problem for some girls such as young ballet dancers, I've read.
Reply 3
Original post by Kerzen
There is a school of thought which links the percentage of body fat in a girl's body with menarche (the start of periods).

It's said to be around 17 per cent, I gather.

I suspect that this is something to do with the body's ability to nourish the foetus should pregnancy occur.

My understanding is, then, that there is a critical weight/fat percentage in a girl's body which allows menarche to occur.

This can be a problem for some girls such as young ballet dancers, I've read.

Okay,thanks.
Reply 4
Was there a particular reason for your question?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Does that normally happen,I’ve heard from a friend that you gain weight to help you grow?

Most people deal with some bloating leading up to and during their period, its normal and necessary to help to basically, live.
Reply 6
Original post by Kerzen
Was there a particular reason for your question?

I don’t know,I feel like its coming and I’m just insecure about my weight.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I don’t know,I feel like its coming and I’m just insecure about my weight.

You've probably thought of this already, but I was thinking that it would be worthwhile asking your Mum to help you choose some pads in somewhere like Boots. You can put some into a pretty zip up bag and leave them in your school bag for when you need them. I've realised that you can actually buy little starter packs for £4 in Boots for girls just beginning to have their periods; you might want to get one of those, it has what you will need when your first period starts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending