The Student Room Group

14 years old and currently 82.6kgs

Hi, I am 14 years old and currently 82.6kgs(very overweight). I seriously need to make a change at home I only have dumbbells and a bar.Should I lose weight then gain muscle or is it possible to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time by doing weights but also cardio.Also if you have any tips on losing weight and/or gaining muscle please help.

Ps- I already know the fundamentals of losing weight eg.Caloric deficit
As you're a newbie, you can lose weight and gain muscle. just fine
Original post by js234
Hi, I am 14 years old and currently 82.6kgs(very overweight). I seriously need to make a change at home I only have dumbbells and a bar.Should I lose weight then gain muscle or is it possible to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time by doing weights but also cardio.Also if you have any tips on losing weight and/or gaining muscle please help.

Hey,

So there's a lot to consider.

Your weight doesn't necessarily mean you're very overweight. You also have to consider your height. I'm around 80kg for example, but I'm 5'10 and have a lot of muscle, so for me, this is a healthy weight. Everything is relative.

If you feel like your weight is too high, and it means that you don't feel comfortable, okay, that's fine - then let's focus on losing weight. It's very difficult to build muscle and lose weight at the same time. Often people talk about "noob gains" for people who start out and appear to gain muscle immediately but this doesn't last.

Focus on the weight loss first, BUT you can lose weight by doing cardio and weightlifting at the same time. Do a bit of both, whilst eating in a slight calorie deficit and you will lose weight. Initially, your appetite might increase because you're doing more exercise, so you're going to have to be disciplined and resist the urge to eat more.

Once you reach a weight that you are more comfortable with, this is when you want to start building muscle. "Bulking", the process of trying to gain muscle, usually means gaining some fat as well, so you don't want to focus on this right away if you already feel too heavy.

This is why a lot of bodybuilders will do phases of cutting (losing weight) and bulking (gaining weight). That's why powerlifters are so huge - and not lean at all - because in order to gain lots of muscle, they have to eat a lot of food and inevitably gain some body fat too.

I've been training for the last 7 years or so, and I'm generally comfortable with my body now so I'm happy to answer questions you might have. I lost like 3 stone when I started out, and now I've gained most of that back, but with muscle :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by js234

Yeah, you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, I would put yourself in a realistic calorie deficit, but you can do cardio aswell to increase the amount of food you can eat and still lose weight. Make sure you are eating protein with each meal. i would watch some of Renaissance Periodizations videos as they are simple to understand but very informative. good luck

Quick Reply

Latest