The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
mart1203
In 99% of cases, yes obesity is the choice of the individual. 1% yeah fair enough are genetically predisposed with bad genes/low metabolism. Too many use excuses for their obesity. Sounds like you need to research Amber.

Sweden (or is it Finland) have it best, they get financial incentives for exercising and staying fit, and not smoking.

I don't even think genes and metabolism are to blame, the main excuses are thyroid problems and that it's a mental illness.
Reply 121
AmberH
PS apagg, how about you research first, type second. Obesity is always the choice of the individual? Oh dear me, research research research, my love.

Generally, if you're fat, it's because you eat too much and/or exercise too little. Even when it comes to disorders, people can usually make choices which control their body fat. The only exception being a particular disorder in which the sufferer is compelled to eat constantly and never feels full. (Which accounts for 2% of obese people in the UK - I knew that 2% thing came from somewhere)
Reply 122
yeah that's the one, the thyroid hormone regulates rate of metabolism of the body. I hate it when people put their obesity down to laughable excuses like that.
Reply 123
Let me call this a proposal of Harsh Regulation, as opposed to one of Soft Regulation (e.g. government trying to get more people to the gym, inform about obesity, etc.).

Harsh Regulation has its benefits in certain conditions. When a trend that is seen as negative by the governing/educated/majority of the population is not Harshly Regulated, it might have the snowball effect that because more and more people will start to be affected by the trend, it will reach a point when the general view of the people on the trend is no longer negative.

But Harsh Regulation is HARD to pass, since when there is a need for Harsh Regulation, it means the effect of that which must be regulated has already reached such a level that there is much opposition against it. Add to that the groups of anti-regulation people, anti-racists and other fundamentalists who will condemn any or certain types of Harsh Regulation anyway.

So if we want such a tax to be accepted, we probably need to keep things fair. This implies introducing Harsh Regulation in other situations, for other trends, to disadvantage other people as well. This would actually create a sort of a Utopia from a certain perspective, the evolutionary. Since the strongest will be least disadvantaged and the weakest the most, only the strongest will survive (hopefully :smile:). But apart from the highly probable fact that such a society wouldn't exists outside the virtual world, if there would exist a society in which everything was Harshly regulated, it would mean that in order to let it function well, power cannot be distributed evenly between the strong and the weak, and the power difference will be tremendous. Only the group that feels least disadvantaged (clearly much less than 50% of the population, since those on the edge will feel insecure and join the bottom group) will embrace such a society. The rest of the population, the very large group, will long have destroyed the society if they had just a little too much power.
But such a society would be very close to an absolute dictatorship, and thus one may question whether there will be enough mobility and meritocracy in such a society so that it can be sustained.
Oh, I am now talking ****** I guess :biggrin:. I mean, stealing a few cents from the pockets of fat people is not really comparable to comparing two things that are not really comparable, is it :frown:? I guess I tend to think in extremes too much :s.

So... my conclusion is that it is an excellent idea that will only work in a society that doesn't work (unless we find some genius way to fix the problem :wink:).
lol_nl
When a trend that is seen as negative by the governing/educated/majority of the population is not Harshly Regulated, it might have the snowball effect that because more and more people will start to be affected by the trend
Heaven forfend people don't have to live according to the dictates of an elite plutocracy! Jesus wept...

Latest

Trending

Trending