The Student Room Group

gcse english lang paper 2 question 5

what grade would you give this article?
question: "people have become obsessed with travelling even further and faster. However, travel is expensive, dangerous, damaging and foolish waste of time"

save the bees

"travelling is a waste of money and bad for the environment" Honestly if i had a pound for everytime this statement had been mentioned, i would most likely have enough money to afford a plane ticket to mumbai. but of course, i, like most people, quite enjoy the scenic, bewitching landscapes, out through the window of an aeroplane, although cheap-freak sarah lynn down the street would have the intrepidity to disagree with me.

some people may complain about the detrimental affect that travelling has to their bank accounts, perhaps even going as far as to say that public transport is overpriced, but if we delve in deeper, is that really the case? the average person who uses public transport living in the uk spends around £64; unless theyre living in the london, then the average is around £73 per month, but can you really be surprised? they do have one of the safest public transport systems in the world. so it could be that the extra splurge is worth it. meanwhile, the average person living in the uk spends around £117 on alcohol per month. and the fact is, buying alcohol is done entirely by choice, while some people have no choice but to pay for public trasnport. so if youre going to complain about how expensive the prices are for public transport are, maybe you should consider cutting back on the alcohol intake.

you may have also heard people becoming feral over how damaging travel is for the environment and our bodies. now i can see why people may think this, but in my opinion, public transport specifically, is just another excuse to invent more environmentally friendly constructions. take buses for example. theyre now incooperating ecosystems, on the roofs of bus stops. nothing screams environmentally friendly more, than a meadow among the top of your local bus stop. now, you, might not enjoy it, but the bees will have a right old buzzin time.

and whoever said you need to be burning fossil fuels in order for it to be classed as travelling? one of the most ententive, economic, eco-friendly, ways of transporation, is simply riding a bike. with the right dedication and mindset, anyone with 2 legs can ride a bike. as for those who are missing a leg, (or care too much about efficency), the rise of e-bikes are on the go. with more people switching to the usage of e-bikes, as opposed to cars or motorbikes, the levels of carbon emissions in the air is slowly decreasing. on another note, riding your bike can help tame the rising obesity numbers within the country, and can ultimately lead to a pleasurable activity for the whole family.

in 50 years time, it wont just be mother nature thanking you, but also, your legs.

to sum up, travelling isnt as expensive as cheap-freak sarah lynn makes it out to be. infact, it can be quite affordable and efficacious for most. and with the increase of e-bike usage, it can be beneficial for our planet earth
Reply 1
mumbai reference??? ur way of writing is engaging and quite interesting, now I don't know whats happened between you and sarah lynn tho

Quick Reply

Latest