The Student Room Group

Caribbean Medical School placements in the UK

Hey there.

I am a prospective student at the University of Health Sciences in Antigua (UHSA) and I was wondering if any one who studied in the Caribbean's can help with placement queries or any in general?

The way the curriculum works in Antigua is that students spend 48 weeks of core rotations in 3rd and 30 weeks of core rotations in 4th year in order to graduate.

As such, I was wondering if it is possible to do clinical rotations in any UK Hospitals for my 3rd and 4 years? The Antiguan university has links with UK based hospitals but they are only for limited electives and I want to know if I can do some of them in the Trusts before I accept my place with them.

They did have an affiliation with a UK trust which allowed students to undertake the clinical rotation in that trust for most of the year but that's been scrapped now. Saying that one of the lecture in UHSA has promised me that this can be reinstated but I am vary of this promise.

So if anyone went to a Caribbean university and is currently working in the UK, please let me know. It is an expensive decision and I want to know the pros and cons.
Hi there,

Thank you for the information. Yes, I have been emailing and phoning up various trusts near where I live and which have affiliations with UHSA. They haven't really responded much because of Christmas and Covid. But I am going to keep trying until I hear something back.
Ooo I didn't know about the grade inflation - I did know about the number of UK places going up though. Hmm I might give UK another go then.

Yeah I wasn't sure if I would get anything back soon tbh.

The UHSA one that I applied had a contract with a local hospital to me but that got scrapped. I did get told today that can reinstated but I am not sure if that can happen in the next 2 years. I also got told that placements were limited cos of Covid. Don't won't to waste my time and money if the contract doesn't happen.
Oh I see what you mean. The inflation being the predicted grades. Thanks for the help so far btw
Reply 4
Hey there,

I am a prospective student at the University of Health Sciences in Antigua (UHSA) for the September 2023 entry. I was wondering if anyone is also looking to study in the Caribbean at UHSA this year and if anyone can help with queries in general.
Reply 5
Original post by _itesham
Hey there,

I am a prospective student at the University of Health Sciences in Antigua (UHSA) for the September 2023 entry. I was wondering if anyone is also looking to study in the Caribbean at UHSA this year and if anyone can help with queries in general.

I am also applying for it this year and would like help as well . Thanks
Reply 6
Hi. You got visa for Antigua ? And paid fees?
Reply 7
Original post by heyuayesha
Hi. You got visa for Antigua ? And paid fees?

I haven’t got the visa yet , because I’m doing the online course for the first year , then I will apply for the visa . And for the fees I’m waiting for next week to get the feedback from the university so I can pay the fees
Reply 8
Original post by username1549081
Hey there.

I am a prospective student at the University of Health Sciences in Antigua (UHSA) and I was wondering if any one who studied in the Caribbean's can help with placement queries or any in general?

The way the curriculum works in Antigua is that students spend 48 weeks of core rotations in 3rd and 30 weeks of core rotations in 4th year in order to graduate.

As such, I was wondering if it is possible to do clinical rotations in any UK Hospitals for my 3rd and 4 years? The Antiguan university has links with UK based hospitals but they are only for limited electives and I want to know if I can do some of them in the Trusts before I accept my place with them.

They did have an affiliation with a UK trust which allowed students to undertake the clinical rotation in that trust for most of the year but that's been scrapped now. Saying that one of the lecture in UHSA has promised me that this can be reinstated but I am vary of this promise.

So if anyone went to a Caribbean university and is currently working in the UK, please let me know. It is an expensive decision and I want to know the pros and cons.

Hi,
What happened afterwards?
Reply 9
Original post by saif2004
I haven’t got the visa yet , because I’m doing the online course for the first year , then I will apply for the visa . And for the fees I’m waiting for next week to get the feedback from the university so I can pay the fees

I’m also doing that to
Hey there.

Hi I’m looking to go UHSA this year wandering how it turned out for u and if u got job in uk
Hey there.

Hi I’m gonna go to UHSA this year was wandering if your now completed the degree and working in uk ?
Hi there,

Thank you for the information. Yes, I have been emailing and phoning up various trusts near where I live and which have affiliations with UHSA. They haven't really responded much because of Christmas and Covid. But I am going to keep trying until I hear something back.

Hi how do you find out which hospitals are affiliated with uhsa

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending