The Student Room Group

Medicine at UNIC vs. RCSI

Hello!
I received offers from University of Nicosia, Cyprus and RCSI, Ireland, however, I am unsure of which offer I would like to accept. Can someone please an insight of both unis and their opinion?
Thank you
Original post by Anonymous
Hello!
I received offers from University of Nicosia, Cyprus and RCSI, Ireland, however, I am unsure of which offer I would like to accept. Can someone please an insight of both unis and their opinion?
Thank you

Hi there, I am not sure if you have already decided between both of the universities, but here's what I would consider when making a decision:
1. The tuition fees: of the universities and living expenses as well. I also considered attending RCSI, however, upon reflection, I decided that it would be a better choice for me to accept my offer with UNIC (University of Nicosia). The university and the country itself are much more affordable compared to Ireland/RCSI.
2. Proximity to your family: is also something I would be thinking about. Depending on where you're currently located/your family is located, you should think about how convenient is it for you or your family to travel back and forth.
3. Reputation of the universities: from the information I have, RCSI is very reputable and very experienced when it comes to medical education. UNIC Med school, on the other hand, is relatively a new school and has less experience. But they did first start out by collaborating with St George's University of London medical school, so I guess that's another positive.
4. Life after medical school: Both of the universities offer placements abroad (or they have pretty good connections to places such as the UK, the US and for UNIC, they offer placements in Greece (if you know Greek) or Switzerland (if you know German). They might changes their options, so don't take my word for it.

There are so many other things to consider, but this was my criteria, and honestly, the bottom line is that if you wanna be a doctor, you just need to be proactive and make sure you stay on top of things. It doesn't really matter where you study, it matters how hard you work and if you have a plan, you stick by it. You can go anywhere from any university, as long as you create a competitive porfolio for yourself.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Having studied the SGUL graduate course at UNIC (which has now been discontinued), I would advise you to stay well clear of this school. The facilities are poor and the admin staff do not like to be questioned. I know a student who was not allowed to progress on the course because they had questioned the course director. Avoid such archaic rules and stick to a country where rules and regulations are followed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending