The Student Room Group

Help

XX
(edited 3 years ago)
Ok, so usually I can relate to alot of things but I only know from a friend who is trans.

However I can tell you that alot of people are here to supoort you wether or not you think they are. Being transgender can be confusing and the more you want to express it, the more it can be fustrating.
Have you searched for transgender groups and websites that may help? I saw a website online that i have pasted incase its useful.
These transitions can take alot of time! My friend is 60 now and has only just managed to get her voice box changed into a more feminised vocal.
Maybe speak to others who can help you in finding little ways to be yourself, if its not the right time to tell your parents (living under their roof) then id suggest wait. Parents think they know everything but they will be just as confused about the whole thing just as much as you were before finding who you want to be)
Don't rush something that you see can be beautiful in a week. You are strong and Independant, No one can take that away from you in the long time.

https://transgender-trend.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAxKv_BRBdEiwAyd40N0VTPF0twCfDmpUJcCVP1Q5OY82_vfoqiFXNLLIthMsjVbBZKNi3hRoCXDMQAvD_BwE
Original post by Lily_23
I am transgender but I can't tell my parents because they would hate me for it. I feel so alone and I really need advise on how to cope with waking up every day hating myself. I want to wear dresses and skirts but can't because I am too scared to tell my parents. and I am looking more manly everyday and I can't go to a doctor to help me because I would have to tell my parents? please help me!!

Also, how do people see trans women- will I have been seen as a woman or just a mentally ill man in a dress?

You can go to the doctor on your own and they can arrange appointments (which would require telling your parents - but the doctor could help you with this). You can also go through your school, they can arrange mediation with your parents and ensure that you are safe.

I am gay and my parents are catholic so while I will never understand your struggle as a trans woman, I have experienced a lot of self-hatred. Try self-affirmation, think of all of the ways you are wonderful because everyone has at least 5. Your appearance may upset you, so try putting post-it notes over your mirror with happy things on. Here are mine to you:
- You are loved
- You are worthy
- You are beautiful
- You are kind
- You are intelligent
- You are generous

From your message, I know all of these things and the more you tell yourself them, the more you'll believe it.

It is better to go to the doctor sooner rather than later if you feel able because that way you can get hormone blockers and start your hormonal transition if you want to. In terms of skirts and dresses, if it would make you unsafe avoid them but you could also go for more traditionally feminine trousers if your parents would be more accepting. For example, culottes or balloon shorts.

In terms of how trans women are seen, I won't lie to you and tell you that everyone is accepting. But many are. As a lesbian, I see trans women as women, not anything else. Even if not everyone is accepting, there are thousands and thousands of people who are. You are a woman, trans women are women. Gender is simply a construct - so identify with what you want to! There are loads of spaces where trans people are loved and though it isn't easy, it is possible.

The world is becoming more and more accepting every day. Don't let the anti-lgbt protesters hurt you. Your gender identity is valid.

Thank you for sharing, I hope you find this helpful, message me if you need any help.
Original post by username5568728
XX

I wanted to check in to see if you are doing any better/
Original post by girlinbeige
I wanted to check in to see if you are doing any better/

Hi - thanks for asking. I ended up completely changing my mind, it seems i momentarily doubted myself. I'm doing a lot better now and I have been happy and comfortable with my identity as a cisgender man for a few years since this post.
i am so happy to hear that and doubting yourself is totally normal and ok! i think about your original post from time to time so i am so glad to know you’re doing better. congrats on understanding yourself better
Original post by Anonymous
Hi - thanks for asking. I ended up completely changing my mind, it seems i momentarily doubted myself. I'm doing a lot better now and I have been happy and comfortable with my identity as a cisgender man for a few years since this post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending