The Student Room Group

Accidentally ran a red light on a roundabout, will I get points?

I’ve been driving for about just over a month now, and have had a few moments where I’m worried that I will get 3 points on my license for making a mistake.

The other day I was at an empty roundabout that has lights on it, and was turning right. It was my first time at the roundabout, and have avoided it as everyone says it’s layed out stupidly, as you go through about 3 sets of lights just to go right. As I set off past the first 2 set of lights, they were green, but as I came off the roundabout, I saw a set of red lights, but didn’t think they were meant for me, as there are loads of different lights on the roundabout. As I got home, I checked on google earth, and saw that the lights were meant for me, and that there were cameras on the lights.

I asked my dad, and he said that the lights are set out so they change one after another, so chances are, by the time I crossed the line, it was either amber or green, but I’m not sure.

I don’t have any points on my license, but I will be worried for the next two weeks, so I was just wondering if I will be caught for running a red, even though people claim it changes in time to be green by the time I cross.

Thanks.
Hey! Your post seems to have a few phrases that pertain to traffic lights and/or red light cameras, so I'm here to answer a few common questions that we see on TSR...

Is this a a sensor or a camera?
I can guarantee that if you've attached a photo to this thread, it's NOT a red light camera, but is in fact just a sensor for monitoring traffic.

I think I ran a red light, will I get a fine?
No one can answer this, sorry! You'll need to wait for 14 days to see if a NIP arrives in the post (there's a few exceptions to the rule, but 14 days is the usual guideline). You need to seriously have a long hard think about what you've done and treat this as a big lesson in paying more attention on the roads, regardless of whether you get a fine or not.

What if someone saw me and reports me?
Nothing will come from it. Stop worrying.

This message was posted automatically by the ItsOnlyASensor bot. If you believe this message was posted in error, please PM this account to provide feedback. Thanks!
Reply 2
DC9F12EB-CA15-4267-BF3D-5B2F914E63A7.jpg
This is the lights, I can see something on top of the lights, but I’m not sure if it’s a camera or not. I’m not a dangerous driver or anything, but the roundabout is very confusing, especially for my first time on it. I’m just glad it was empty when it happened. Numerous people complain about it, so I avoided it for a reason, Thanks.
You Chav - Marc Almond
Reply 4
Original post by mwjh2002
This is the lights, I can see something on top of the lights, but I’m not sure if it’s a camera or not. I’m not a dangerous driver or anything, but the roundabout is very confusing, especially for my first time on it. I’m just glad it was empty when it happened. Numerous people complain about it, so I avoided it for a reason, Thanks.

Look at the bot post. Read the bot post.
Reply 5
Original post by mwjh2002

I know time has passed since this happened. Did you by any chance get anything in the post / points on your licence?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending