The Student Room Group

Cutting off bus

Hello, I’m a new driver and been driving per 3 weeks now. Today I made a mistake and feel awful about it😞 . It shouldn’t have happened. One time I stoped near a shop and when I wanted to merge in the road I did it by going reverse and then when I was about to move forward I was near the traffic light and they went green after a few seconds being red. But behind me was a bus. I think I cut him off even though I let him go first then as I had ti move on the right lane because I was to the left and after the traffic light it was bus lane. I don know if I will get some penalty points or a penalty charge. I’m about to cry for being such a stupid!
Reply 1
Original post by shajereka
Hello, I’m a new driver and been driving per 3 weeks now. Today I made a mistake and feel awful about it😞 . It shouldn’t have happened. One time I stoped near a shop and when I wanted to merge in the road I did it by going reverse and then when I was about to move forward I was near the traffic light and they went green after a few seconds being red. But behind me was a bus. I think I cut him off even though I let him go first then as I had ti move on the right lane because I was to the left and after the traffic light it was bus lane. I don know if I will get some penalty points or a penalty charge. I’m about to cry for being such a stupid!

You defintely won't get any penalty points on your licence don't worry! Drivers do a lot worse things to bus drivers than accidentally cut them off. Just try not to do that again! As I'm sure you are aware, the law states when possible give way to bus drivers, but I know you'll be careful of them now!!

About the bus lane - it is unlikely you will get a charge if you were only in the bus lane a few seconds however it can happen - in this case it is a £35 fine if paid within 2 weeks. Nothing else will come of it and your insurance etc will not be made aware, don't panic.

Happy driving, and don't let this incident put you off driving! :smile:
Reply 2
I really hope so😔 I was thinking not to drive for some days until I am calmer. That’s a lot of stress to handle. Thank you so much for letting me know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending