The Student Room Group

What will you do if being kept waiting for 5 mins at a roundabout?

Yesterday I waited for about 5 mins at the entry of a roundabout before I could find a good enough gap. I really couldn't do anything but wait, right?
Reply 1
Sometimes you gotta be bold and go.
Reply 2
Original post by farhill
Yesterday I waited for about 5 mins at the entry of a roundabout before I could find a good enough gap. I really couldn't do anything but wait, right?

Did your instructor say that what you did was correct? Or did they think there were gaps that you missed?
To wait a literal 5 minutes, im not sure that’s ever happened unless it’s a long queue stuck at traffic lights off a slip road or something.

In general id sit on the bite point wait for a safe gap but be a little more bullish on the throttle.
As above, sometimes you've gotta be ready to take a half chance, but if it's not safe, then it's not safe.
Five minutes is an incredibly long time to wait at a roundabout or a junction. It probably wasn't longer than a minute, maybe two at most. The nature of roundabouts is that gaps do appear even during busy times, and normally relatively quickly. Turning right out of a junction can be more problematic because the traffic in each direction doesn't correlate so can prevent gaps from appearing. But as I say, that's not how it works at roundabouts because the flow of traffic creates gaps naturally.

The fact is that you cannot go unless it is safe. I disagree entirely that sometimes you need to 'take a chance'. You can see the gaps and you know how quickly you can accelerate away. As you gain more experience at driving you will become more competent at spotting gaps, and should be able to pull away quicker. So it's about being able to spot the gaps that you can safely take. If you find yourself just not being able to spot a gap you can take for a prolonged period, you just have to wait. Over time and the more you drive, the less of a problem that will be.
Original post by farhill

Within legal boundaries, nope, unless you want to be brave (but it can cost you money, and your life if you are at high speed one)
Reply 7
Thanks everyone. So what I did was correct - just stay put quietly till a gap comes up.
BTW, 5 mins was actually a bit exaggerated - sorry about that 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending