The Student Room Group

Law Applicant with AAB

Hey,

I'm applying for Law this year and am wondering whether I have a realistic shot at getting offers from the top 10 unis that I intend to apply to, which I also do not wish to disclose :biggrin:.

I applied for Spanish last year and got into King's, but I realised that Law (which I was going to apply for initially anyway) is what I passionately want to do.

As I said in the title, I already have AAB in English Lit., Spanish and History, but I'm doing fast-track Economics and AS Law this year and am predicted 2 As.

What do you think guys?

Reply 1
It's a difficult one, as they'd generally like you to have taken your A-levels in two years (so may only count your original A-levels, the AAB). This may not always be the case though.

But law doesn't end at Oxford, Durham, LSE, Bristol etc. There are some great law schools who only ask for AAB (Leicester used to but I think they know ask for AAA. There's also Exeter - Cornwall campus). There are also some of the leading ex-polys, who can provide a great foundation for a legal career (particularly if you're aren't interested in the magic circle) that ask for ABB.

It would possibly be a good idea applying to one or two of the "top ten" law schools, particularly those that use the LNAT, and balance that out with three more realistic AAB options. Or maybe one "top ten", one solid "top 20" who still as for AAA (like Newcastle) and then three AAB unis.

Do you have any specific career plans in law (magic circle, bar, high street firms)?

Just out of interest, would you conisder a joint honours law/spanish degree (providing it's still qualifying, of course?)
Well, I've looked into that and the only places I'm interested in that do a qualifying Law with Spanish degree are UCL and Oxford, hence the reason I didn't apply for it last year really.

That's the problem - I do intend on pursuing a career in a magic circle firm :s-smilie:.

Do you think the LNAT, a good personal statement and a strong reference could tip the balance in my favour?

I also had a few 100% modules in Spanish and English.
River85
It's a difficult one, as they'd generally like you to have taken your A-levels in two years (so may only count your original A-levels, the AAB). This may not always be the case though.

But law doesn't end at Oxford, Durham, LSE, Bristol etc. There are some great law schools who only ask for AAB (Leicester used to but I think they know ask for AAA. There's also Exeter - Cornwall campus). There are also some of the leading ex-polys, who can provide a great foundation for a legal career (particularly if you're aren't interested in the magic circle) that ask for ABB.

It would possibly be a good idea applying to one or two of the "top ten" law schools, particularly those that use the LNAT, and balance that out with three more realistic AAB options. Or maybe one "top ten", one solid "top 20" who still as for AAA (like Newcastle) and then three AAB unis.

Do you have any specific career plans in law (magic circle, bar, high street firms)?

Just out of interest, would you conisder a joint honours law/spanish degree (providing it's still qualifying, of course?)

Sorry, should have quoted you so you'd know I'd replied.
Reply 4
I was in a similar situation as you. Realistically, none of the top unis e.g. Oxbridge are likely to accept you because they usually count the results for your first two years. Even with mitigating circumstances for my third non-A subject, I got rejections from UCL and Warwick. Best thing to do is to apply to two AAA unis, two AAB unis and one ABB uni. Nottingham and SOAS are AAA unis, but they gave me offers, so there are some AAA unis which are slightly more "lenient" (although still very competitive). Good luck.
Oh dear, this has turned out to be the sombre thread I feared it would...

Hmm... I'm going to have to do some more long, hard thinking about this...
Reply 6
Sheffield Law with Spanish may be an option you could consider but i dont know about the 2yr deadlin thing with them
Hi guys, sorry about the miserable tone of my last post lol. All your help's really appreciated. I just read the thread back with a more objective, less emotionally-attached approach than a few weeks ago ('cause that was in the eye of the storm, so to speak). Anyway, just wanted to say thanks :smile:.
Reply 8
Im an AAB student (applied to the uni's in my signature), but its true-law doesnt end with oxford, ucl, lse etc. There are A LOT of other great, respectable uni's to go to :biggrin:
Absinth
I was in a similar situation as you. Realistically, none of the top unis e.g. Oxbridge are likely to accept you because they usually count the results for your first two years. Even with mitigating circumstances for my third non-A subject, I got rejections from UCL and Warwick. Best thing to do is to apply to two AAA unis, two AAB unis and one ABB uni. Nottingham and SOAS are AAA unis, but they gave me offers, so there are some AAA unis which are slightly more "lenient" (although still very competitive). Good luck.

When did your SOAS offer come through? Was it pretty early?
Reply 10
CommerceDressedAsRebellion
When did your SOAS offer come through? Was it pretty early?

Yeah it was, I got an offer on the 26th November according to my old posts. Good luck!
Reply 11
I somehow got accpeted by leicester and Q.M with AAB predicted and no As levels and there both AAA so i thnk some unis must use ur p.s and other stuff and not just ur grades.
1234sunny
I somehow got accpeted by leicester and Q.M with AAB predicted and no As levels and there both AAA so i thnk some unis must use ur p.s and other stuff and not just ur grades.

I applied to Leicester as well, and got an offer. Kind of regret not applying to QMUL though .. since I was actually predicted exactly what they're asking for (36 IB). Sigh. :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Meh londons to expensive lol im most likely gna go leicester nyway
Reply 14
Don't even consider going to an ex-polly with AAB and maybe another A from 2 combined a/s is the first thing - that'd be the dumbest idea ever. You've got plenty of options with AAB.
May as well apply to a couple of top 10 ones and take your chances as you can only accept one place anyway obviously, then for the rest, just pick good AAB unis like city ect.

Latest

Trending

Trending