The Student Room Group

Chemistry or Chemistry with Maths @ UCL

Hi,

I've applied to UCL to do pure Chemistry... however after giving it much thought I realised that I really enjoy maths!

Career wise, is it better to do just pure chemistry (if looking to pursue a career in chem?)

What is Chem+ Maths like?

Thanks
"Career wise" I don't think it makes any difference, outside of academia. I would note that usually maths at degree level in terms of a course including "maths" in the title refers to a very different kind of maths to that in A-level or that you might normally cover in a physical sciences course like chemistry. However I think for the UCL course you just take all the mathematical methods modules and none of the pure/abstract maths modules. So it's really not that different from a regular chemistry degree except you'll continue the mathematical methods courses where other chemists would usually stop. Might be handy if you are particularly interested in physical/theoretical chemistry and plan to continue to a PhD, otherwise really it depends on your interests.

Some other degrees in chemistry and/with maths, such as at Southampton, include more maths as it is done by maths degree students, which as noted is very different from the kinds of mathematical methods done on that course and in A-level. That kind of maths is very abstract and primarily proof based, and a much different prospect to the above. So be aware that such courses may vary if you start looking at similar degree names elsewhere - always check the course content! I would say though I think most of that abstract maths aside from group theory isn't really relevant to chemists. Group theory would be nice to have if you want to go into inorganic chemistry as a grad student or something though, but as with the above mathematical methods modules it's really neither here nor there for just getting a general (or even chemistry specific) grad job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending