The Student Room Group

Uni of nottingham formals

I’m hoping to start at UoN this September and have heard about formals in halls. How formal are they? and also how often since I wouldn’t want to wear the same dress/outfit twice

and any other general catered accommodation advice?

thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Based on non-Covid experience:

If I recall correctly, there were only 2 or 3 a year. They were... formal-ish? Most people wore pretty smart clothing, suits or nice dresses, few of us even went full black-tie. At Sherwood, the atmosphere wasn't a whole lot different. Still the dining hall, and while we did have decorations, live music, and three courses, it was still very much a catered accommodation dinner. Well, except for the drinking; they opened up the bar (which in Sherwood is never open for anything else), and most people had whatever they considered a reasonable amount of wine. People went out afterwards, as is the way. I think there may have been an official after-party, but I'm not 100% on that. One time we had a cotton candy machine too; I ate a damn lot of cotton candy.

I also went to one Broadgate Park one. I was living in Cloister, and since Broadgate is huge while Cloister and Albion are tiny (and all self-catered), they share one. That one felt pretty different; since it's self-catered accommodation with a lot of people, we actually had a different venue. I would say the food and entertainment was a bit better. Also, for some reason there was a cheese and biscuits station? I think I was the only person there who was actually excited by that.
Reply 2
Original post by FerrousS
Based on non-Covid experience:

If I recall correctly, there were only 2 or 3 a year. They were... formal-ish? Most people wore pretty smart clothing, suits or nice dresses, few of us even went full black-tie. At Sherwood, the atmosphere wasn't a whole lot different. Still the dining hall, and while we did have decorations, live music, and three courses, it was still very much a catered accommodation dinner. Well, except for the drinking; they opened up the bar (which in Sherwood is never open for anything else), and most people had whatever they considered a reasonable amount of wine. People went out afterwards, as is the way. I think there may have been an official after-party, but I'm not 100% on that. One time we had a cotton candy machine too; I ate a damn lot of cotton candy.

I also went to one Broadgate Park one. I was living in Cloister, and since Broadgate is huge while Cloister and Albion are tiny (and all self-catered), they share one. That one felt pretty different; since it's self-catered accommodation with a lot of people, we actually had a different venue. I would say the food and entertainment was a bit better. Also, for some reason there was a cheese and biscuits station? I think I was the only person there who was actually excited by that.

okay thank you! and I’d be excited by cheese and biscuits too haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending