The Student Room Group

Transfer at end of 1st year to another univ….what notice do I need to do

Hello 👋
I have recently contacted a different university to the one I am at. I have been given an unconditional offer as a start afresh year 1 (course is different so all understood and happy). What notice period do I have to give to my existing university and do I have to wait for confirmation prior to formally applying to the other via UCAS? I have been in touch with my tutor a number of times and not had a reply at all. Can anyone help with any formalities as I can’t seem to get any help from my existing place (I guess they are not in any rush) if I don’t get any response….what is there to stop me from sending my formal application via UCAS to the new place and once approved changing my student loan to the new ?
Reply 1
Go ahead and apply to the new uni. Your present uni is not being very helpful.
Reply 2
Original post by Raynerm
Hello 👋
I have recently contacted a different university to the one I am at. I have been given an unconditional offer as a start afresh year 1 (course is different so all understood and happy). What notice period do I have to give to my existing university and do I have to wait for confirmation prior to formally applying to the other via UCAS? I have been in touch with my tutor a number of times and not had a reply at all. Can anyone help with any formalities as I can’t seem to get any help from my existing place (I guess they are not in any rush) if I don’t get any response….what is there to stop me from sending my formal application via UCAS to the new place and once approved changing my student loan to the new ?

I think it's fine to be applying to another university while still enrolled at your existing one.

That said, you should formally withdraw from your existing course, simply as a matter of courtesy if nothing else. Yes, you could just not turn up at the start of the new academic year, and ultimately will be deemed to have withdrawn. But doing that will mean a lot of unnecessary extra effort by admin staff at the old university who will be trying to find out what's going on.

The process of withdrawing is an admin task; your department/school admin team should be able to advise on the process.

If you're having trouble getting a reply from your personal tutor, and you're still attending at the university, have you tried visiting their office during their office hour? Or, if you're no longer attending, have you tried phoning during their office hour? Don't just rely on email.
Original post by Raynerm
Hello 👋

You don't need to give them a "notice period". You will need to formally withdraw from the course at some point, I would wait until you have submitted your UCAS application and received the offer in UCAS track (as then you have a binding contract with the new uni - anything up until that point isn't in stone!). Once you have your new offer, you can just get in touch with your current uni (usually your personal tutor or departmental administrator is a good starting point) to ask how you go about withdrawing from the course. It's typically a fairly straightforward process and just need to fill in some paperwork.

Note that you will also need to notify SFE and if you withdraw part-way through the term, you may need to repay some of your most recent maintenance loan. I would probably suggest just waiting until the end of the academic year formally to keep things neat and tidy on that front, as then you just need to reapply for SFE funding to the new course (you will need to note your prior academic study though as this will affect your entitlement, but you should have enough to cover the whole new course if you are moving from year 1 in course A to year 1 in course B; if you are in year 2 or above in course A, you should urgently discuss with SFE how this would affect your entitlement BEFORE withdrawing).
Original post by Raynerm
Hello 👋

Hey which uni did you transfer to? And how did you get the unconditional offer? I'm also desperate to transfer and change course at a different university.
Original post by Raynerm
Hello 👋

Hi @Raynerm !

There is not normally a notice required for transferring universities, however, you will need to formally withdraw from your current course before you begin your new one. The easiest way to do this is to call the admin team, but if you can’t find their number, just call the University’s general number and explain your situation and that you would like to formally withdraw from the course. Usually, they’ll transfer you to the appropriate department and then you’re ready to go!

I hope this helps! 🙂

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending