The Student Room Group

Parents rental income

Hi

I am hoping someone can help.

I get that the maintenance loan is assessed on parents gross taxable income but half their income is through rental income. I believe this is a new issue and maybe a rare once since HMRC have slowly disallowed Mortgage interest. Their taxable income at the beginning of their SA302 is a lot more than what their income actually.

Will the 'relief for finance costs credit' be reflected in their household income for the maintenance loan calculation? Its quite a large chunk at £25,00 and will make a difference as to whether I will be able to afford my rent let alone live.

Thank you
Original post by Treas42
Hi

I am hoping someone can help.

I get that the maintenance loan is assessed on parents gross taxable income but half their income is through rental income. I believe this is a new issue and maybe a rare once since HMRC have slowly disallowed Mortgage interest. Their taxable income at the beginning of their SA302 is a lot more than what their income actually.

Will the 'relief for finance costs credit' be reflected in their household income for the maintenance loan calculation? Its quite a large chunk at £25,00 and will make a difference as to whether I will be able to afford my rent let alone live.

Thank you

Hi, there is a box on the form that is for income from property lettings http://ow.ly/opMD30qijXx - they should put this in there. It will affect your funding as it is part of their household income.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, there is a box on the form that is for income from property lettings http://ow.ly/opMD30qijXx - they should put this in there. It will affect your funding as it is part of their household income.
Thanks, Isaac

Yes I agree that their property income is part of their income but how HMRC now calculate it is very different to a few years ago now that mortgage interest is taxed in a different way.

I don't think you understand my question.

3 years ago rental income would be calculated after all expenses including mortgage interest.

Now it isn't. Please see an attached example. In this example you can see the true profit is actually £2,000 but under the new rules is £9,000 but with a tax credit for the mortgage interest element underneath.

I am asking am I needing to give the £2,000 figure or the £9,000.

For our personal example this is a difference of just under £30,000 per year and a difference between me being able to accept my University place or not.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Treas42
Yes I agree that their property income is part of their income but how HMRC now calculate it is very different to a few years ago now that mortgage interest is taxed in a different way.

I don't think you understand my question.

3 years ago rental income would be calculated after all expenses including mortgage interest.

Now it isn't. Please see an attached example. In this example you can see the true profit is actually £2,000 but under the new rules is £9,000 but with a tax credit for the mortgage interest element underneath.

I am asking am I needing to give the £2,000 figure or the £9,000.

For our personal example this is a difference of just under £30,000 per year and a difference between me being able to accept my University place or not.

I advise you to speak to an accountant or to HMRC to find out what the figure is. If you are applying in the 21/22 academic year then we need your parents 2019/20 tax year gross income(the figure before tax and deductions) which includes income from property lettings.

If the property lettings income for the 19/20 tax year was high and their income is expected to drop by more than 15% then your parents can complete a Current Year Income form to provide their estimated 2021/22 tax year income. If they do this, it's important they update us if their income changes throughout the year because at the end of the tax year we will ask them to provide the actual income they earned with evidence and if their actual income doesn't match the estimated income they provided then it could cause you to be overpaid and be required to pay money back. Your parents can download this form here https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms/y/english-student-full-time/send-parent-or-partner-s-income-detail-for-example-pff2-or-cyi/ after April 2021.
Thanks, Isaac
Hello, I found the answer, it's very bleak, but the answer is using the Tax Return:

Short paper tax return - SA200 Box 6.3
Full paper tax return - SA105 Box 13 and 38, SA106 Box 25 tax return.

This is rental income minus expenses but not mortgage payments. Not the answer I expect most wanted but it is the answer as per notes on the SFE PFF2 form.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
I have only just seen your post. We are in the same position, and have been trying to find out an answer as it will only affect us from Sept 22. We even asked our MP to get an answer and he couldn't get a sensible response from anyone. Did you manage to find anything out since your original post? Dawn
page 17 of the guide clearly shows that the rental income without deduction loan interest is to be used. i.e not the real profits.https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/forms-to-support-your-child-or-partners-2022-to-2023-full-time-student-finance-application
We are in the same position this year did you find anyway of supplying info of the true profit? Thank you
Hi does anyone know if there is a change to this situation? I've just stumbled apon this and with twins applying its going to have a significant affect on their finances or ours!
Reply 9
Yet another impoverished landlord seeking help. My wife and I receive nearly all our income through UK property and it makes an enormous difference to our net income whether or whether not we can deduct mortgage interest. Surely there is clarity somewhere? The Self Assessment (SA) calculation now deals with mortgage interest on UK property lettings at the end of the SA form (no longer as part of the property income section), in order to only allow interest relief at 20%. So landlords are allowed tax relief on the interest as part of their calculation, though only at 20%, so it really should be allowable in the figures presented to the Student Loan Company (SLC). It appears that the SLC has not caught up with this yet. It has to be an oversight. More landlords need to be lobbying their MP's about this - please join me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending