The Student Room Group

Renting a Flat

Hello I’m looking to rent a flat although I am struggling to find anything in accordance to my budget. What is meant by council tax, and bills such as and electricity and how much would you say should you be earning to rent a flat as I will rent it for sleeping purposes, and rarely use electricity and just use gas to prepare meals. How much council tax is paid alongside the rent.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello I’m looking to rent a flat although I am struggling to find anything in accordance to my budget. What is meant by council tax, and bills such as and electricity and how much would you say should you be earning to rent a flat as I will rent it for sleeping purposes, and rarely use electricity and just use gas to prepare meals. How much council tax is paid alongside the rent.

The amount of council tax will vary by the "band" that the property is in. (Every property in the UK was put into a band based upon its value in the early 1990s.) The band that it's in determines the amount you pay. To find out what band a given property is in, use this tool. Once you know the band, you can lookup the current council tax for that band charged by the local council (each local council charges a different amount). There are also council tax discounts if you live alone, or if you're a student.

As for "how much would you say should you be earning to rent a flat", that depends very much on where you want to live (there are massive differences in rental costs across the country), and what proportion of your income you want to use for rent. Even if you're using using the flat "for sleeping purposes" you might want to spend more for it to be nearer a train/tram/tube station, or for it to be in an area with less crime, or in an area closer to shops and restaurants, etc. Everyone with have their own view in their priorities here.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/discover/renting/renting-finances-what-you-need-to-pay-rental-property/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending