The Student Room Group

Mature student - maintenance value

Has anyone experienced the process and value received for the maintenance grant when you are in you early 40's.

- looking for the estimated value received, so I don't waste the time of the university, as the calculator does not take into account age.

Application as I am looking to upgrade my c.v to return to IT
Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
i don't think there is a maintenance grant https://www.gov.uk/student-finance
Reply 2
Original post by Timmottram
Has anyone experienced the process and value received for the maintenance grant when you are in you early 40's.

- looking for the estimated value received, so I don't waste the time of the university, as the calculator does not take into account age.

Thanks

The maintenance loan has nothing to do with age (well, aside from the over-60 point). It all depends on your household income and where you will be living.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/new-fulltime-students

Here is a summary for new, full-time students.
(edited 1 year ago)
As above, there is on longer a maintenance grant (thank the conservatives!) just a maintenance loan. The only grants available are, as I recall, for those studying certain allied health professions courses, which are disbursed by the NHS, not SFE.

As noted your age does not normally directly come into the SFE loan entitlement process. The only situation where it would be relevant is that if you are over 25, you are considered an "independent student" which means your parental income does not get factored into how much you are eligible for. Otherwise there is no difference, except that state pension age people get I believe a reduced maintenance loan.

You can see the maximum amounts here: https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/products/full-time-undergraduate-education/full-time-maintenance-loan/whats-available/
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Timmottram

Thanks

I am looking at going back to university at the age of 32 for a 3 year undergrad course and I called student finance about this. They didn't ask about my income and just said I would be classed as an independent student and would be eligible for around £9.5k per year for the duration of the course. I think there is a maximum of around £11k per year available. Note that this is a loan and not a grant. I also mentioned that I have income from some property rentals I have but they said this won't effect the maintenance loan eligible to me.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by jsm92
I am looking at going back to university at the age of 32 for a 3 year undergrad course and I called student finance about this. They didn't ask about my income and just said I would be classed as an independent student and would be eligible for around £9.5k per year for the duration of the course. I think there is a maximum of around £11k per year available. Note that this is a loan and not a grant. I also mentioned that I have income from some property rentals I have but they said this won't effect the maintenance loan eligible to me.

Hi, bit late on here sorry but just looking around what help i would get as hoping to start university in September. Can I ask, did you get the student finance to cover cost of course and then help alongside? I'm wanting to do adult nursing.
Reply 6
So basically your age is not a factor for sfe. I’m 28 and I last academic year I got the highest amount but because I have kids under 16 so the total is around 14-15K. So I guess if you don’t have dependents you would get around 10-12K. In my campus there was many students over 40 even 50 and they was getting around 10-12K.
Now I don’t know how much I’ll get as I’m still waiting for sfe response… 🤪

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending