The Student Room Group

Combinatorics/permutations in maths interview?

I hear questions on these come up quite often in interview. As far as i'm aware they're only actually covered at A level in the module statistics 2. Can i assume i won't get asked these sort of questions because i'll have put down on the SAQ form that i have only done mechanics modules so far?

I'm just a little worried because theoretically you could solve some of these problems just from knowledge of how they relate to the coefficients of a binomial expansion (which is covered in core modules that i have done).
Reply 1
I can't see why they shouldn't ask the questions, most of them don't require any of the work done in S2.
Reply 2
Ok thanks, i don't suppose you know any good resources on the web for learning this sort of thing that has practice questions?
Reply 3
IMO combinatorics etc is something that requires thought over being taught, so don't worry if you haven't studied it yet.
Reply 4
maltodextrin
Ok thanks, i don't suppose you know any good resources on the web for learning this sort of thing that has practice questions?
Here is a good (free) combinatorics textbook: http://www.math.ucsd.edu/~ebender/CombText/

However, I only recommend reading it if you really are interested in combinatorics, not because think you "should" know it. In other words, I think it is a good resource for learning combinatorics; I don't know (and don't care) whether it is a good resource for preparing for a Cambridge interview.
Reply 5
I find the combinatorics that is covered in S1 somewhat useless in so much as you could do it by just thinking about it logically. If they think someone who deserves a place in Cambridge should be able to do it they will ask it. from the combinatorics I have heard they ask in interview all you really need to know is nCr, nPr and the formulas for them (which you do at GCSE don't you).
Combinatorics problems are very logical, with very little to learn before you can tackle them. They occur fairly often on the BMO, for which past papers can be found online.

Also, at interview, you aren't expected to know everything. They'll be interested to see how you cope with new techniques. The real trick is working through the combinations logically.

Latest

Trending

Trending