The Student Room Group

Maths knowledge for GMAT

Hi there,

I would like to apply for Masters in Management programmes for which I'd need a GMAT score. I did not do A Level Maths, I only have a Maths GCSE grade B. Is GCSE maths knowledge enough for the GMAT quantitative sections or should I self-study maths to AS Level ? Would AS be enough or is A Level Maths needed for the GMAT ?

Preferably looking for answers from people who have already passed the GMAT.
Thanks!
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Bea3007
Hi there,

I would like to apply for Masters in Management programmes for which I'd need a GMAT score. I did not do A Level Maths, I only have a Maths GCSE grade B. Is GCSE maths knowledge enough for the GMAT quantitative sections or should I self-study maths to AS Level ? Would AS be enough or is A Level Maths needed for the GMAT ?

Preferably looking for answers from people who have already passed the GMAT.
Thanks!

GMAT is generall for MBAs as opposed to master's in management. I haven't come across a MiM that requires a GMAT, so this kind of surprised me.

No, the quantiative reasoning in the GMAT is nothing like that of A Level Maths. You would essentially need to be very good at GCSE level maths with a master's degree level reasoning. Learning A Level Maths won't help you at all. You will need to learn a few things about combinations and permutations, but if you already have books to revise from you should be fine with learning the content.

The hard part isn't mastery of the material as much as scoring as high as you can under timed conditions. You will be going through a computer adapted test, so the questions are not set but changes in response to how well you did in your previous question.

You can be a graduate with a master's degree in maths, and still end up with a poor score (arguably). It's a completely different animal and you need to treat it as such if you want to do well.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending