The Student Room Group

UCL, St. Andrews or Peking University?

Hello all,

I'm a third year university student from the US and I'm trying to make a decision between UCL, St. Andrews and Peking University in Beijing for this coming spring semester that I will be spending abroad. Does anyone have personal experiences with these institutions? I realize that St. Andrews is much more rural compared with Peking and UCL. I am especially worried about the expense of living in London and the UK in general. Should I expect to find prices in St. Andrews to much more reasonable than in London? Also, I realize that Peking is one of the top schools in China - but how does it stack up to institutions such as UCL and St. Andrews? Finally, as far as living arrangements are concerned, is self-catering or catered housing the more popular choice for students in the UK?

I know there are a lot questions, but any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

All the best,
Derek
Edit/Delete Message
Reply 1
If you're planning on spending only for a few months (as exchange students' deals should have to be) then UCL, which is located in the heart of London, would be the best choice in your list.

However, if you're thinking of having a career in Asia, particularly in China, as China's economy is booming than the expected rate (if not for the melamine scare plight that happened now) I'd say Peking University would be the ideal choice here.

You're right about St Andrews for the most part. It's an elite school however.
Reply 2
st andrews is happening. end of.

oh and theres quite a few americans here too.
Reply 3
GO Peking University!!! experience the Chinese Education !!
Have you ever visited China before? If not, I think a study abroad at Peking would be great - China's really different from Western culture and it would be a huge culture shock in a good way.

UCL would be good too. I guess it comes down to your geographical preference. Personally I'd go for Peking.
Go to China, the experience of such a different culture will be massively beneficial to you.
Reply 6
Peking University definitely. You will learn more. I mean life and language. Don't expect high quality education.
Reply 7
yeung3939
Peking University definitely. You will learn more. I mean life and language. Don't expect high quality education.

WTH!peking is the oxbridge in China. i'd definitely go there if they want me.
Reply 8
I would go to St Andrews. London is one of the most overrated cities on earth, along with New York.
vivieneswi
WTH!peking is the oxbridge in China. i'd definitely go there if they want me.

It is no where NEAR as good as Oxbridge.
I'd have to agree with Iligan. UCL would be the best choice, in my opinion.
Reply 11
Pillar of Autumn
It is no where NEAR as good as Oxbridge.

It has equally brilliant students.
Reply 12
if you are fluent or almost fluent, then go to peking uni and experience chinese education

Latest

Trending

Trending