The Student Room Group

How important are A levels

I'm hoping to apply for history to St. Andrews, Durham, and UCL (4 and 5 to be chosen soon), and I have predictions of A*A*A in History, Politics, and Music. I have seen one of my references, and it is extremely complimentary, and my teacher stated that my PS is the best he has seen for history in a while. My GCSEs, however, are awful; 98776533. I also attend a high-performing public school, and this will likely weaken my GCSEs even more. Is it worth applying, and is it realistic that I get an offer from any of these places?
Original post by goofyhistory2006
I'm hoping to apply for history to St. Andrews, Durham, and UCL (4 and 5 to be chosen soon), and I have predictions of A*A*A in History, Politics, and Music. I have seen one of my references, and it is extremely complimentary, and my teacher stated that my PS is the best he has seen for history in a while. My GCSEs, however, are awful; 98776533. I also attend a high-performing public school, and this will likely weaken my GCSEs even more. Is it worth applying, and is it realistic that I get an offer from any of these places?

It’s certainly not impossible you’ll get offers from these universities you have plans to apply to.

Provided English Language and Maths are not the grade 3’s, I imagine you should be reasonably ok GCSE-wise for Durham, UCL and St Andrew’s.

I’m fairly certain your predicted grades exceed the entry requirements, which certainly counts in your favour.

One thing is definitely for certain though- if you don’t apply to any of the above unis, then you have a 0% chance of getting an offer from any of them.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by goofyhistory2006

References are meant to be confidential and shouldn't comment on your PS at all ... why have you written it so early?
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by TypicalNerd
It’s certainly not impossible you’ll get offers from these universities you have plans to apply to.

Provided English Language and Maths are not the grade 3’s, I imagine you should be reasonably ok GCSE-wise for Durham, UCL and St Andrew’s.

I’m fairly certain your predicted grades exceed the entry requirements, which certainly counts in your favour.

One thing is definitely for certain though- if you don’t apply to any of the above unis, then you have a 0% chance of getting an offer from any of them.

Doing a quick google search:

UCL: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/history-ba (specifies a need for a 6 in English Lang and a 5 in Maths and a need for A level history, which you are taking)

St Andrew’s: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/history/history-ma-2024/#entry-requirements (no GCSE requirements specified, specifies a need for an A/B in history, which you exceed)

Durham: https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/courses/v100/ (no GCSE requirements specified, no specific A levels specified unless I’m blind lmao)
Thankfully, both of the 7's are in English Language and Maths so that should not be an issue. I got to see one of my references as I have a particularly dozy tutor, who was unaware that it was private - of course I was not going to be the one to tell him - who wouldn't be intrigued to see their reference. The teacher privately commented on my PS to me alone (not on the reference). I have completed my PS early on because I have seen how much of a PITA it can be to find time to write one in the Autumn term (coursework, internal assesment etc take a toll on one's motivation to write one!). I can post, if desired, to update TSR on my progress, in the hope that it may dissuade prospective applicants from giving up on university application due to their GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending