The Student Room Group

0^0

is widely accepted as 1.

proof being

a0=an.an=anan=1 a^0 = a^n.a^-n = \frac{a^n}{a^n} = 1

but with zero you get the paradox of

0n0n=00\frac{0^n}{0^n} = \frac{0}{0}

0n=0\frac{0}{n} = 0

and you can't divide by zero, so i dont see how you can use this proof to show 0^0 = 1

or am i missing something major.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You're missing that it is widely accepted to be undefined - but in some contexts it makes sense to define it as 1, and therefore that is done.

edit: Or shall I rather say, that it can be defined differently depending on context, and sometimes is considered indeterminate (i.e. undefined).
Reply 2
You can divide by zero, its just if you have anything but zero on the top, you will have it equal to +/- infinity...
Koudoo
You can divide by zero, its just if you have anything but zero on the top, you will have it equal to +/- infinity...

/thread.
Reply 4
so 0^0 = 1 is merely a conjecture... that makes a LOT more sense xD
In my AS-level text book it says: "Anything to the power of 0 is 1".

Hence, if we use the power of Language, 'anything' includes 0 in its formula.

Thus: 0^0=1.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 6
Totally Tom
/thread.

i was thinking the same thing, hello my name is matthew and i declare you can divide by zero

fire away
Reply 7
Totally Tom
/thread.

Huh?

EDIT: Algebraically you can't, but theoretically you can...
Reply 8
Ramadulla

it also says that the rules of indices can be applied for a^n for any n that is rational

which is BS, n doesn't even have to be real xD
Reply 9
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0%5E0#Zero_to_the_zero_power

See that for more info (if you haven't already bothered to read it before posting here:p:)
Reply 10
nota bene
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0%5E0#Zero_to_the_zero_power

See that for more info (if you haven't already bothered to read it before posting here:p:)

cheers im not a huge fan of wiki for maths info i find the minds on TSR more informative but the like "The choice whether to define 0^0 is based on convenience, not on correctness." sums it up in my eyes
Reply 11
Chaoslord
it also says that the rules of indices can be applied for a^n for any n that is rational

which is BS, n doesn't even have to be real xD
What it says is true, and it is a common way of approaching some results. Remember that if p    qp \implies q then ¬p    ¬q¬p \implies ¬q is false.
Ramadulla

Type it into your calculator - see if that gives you one.
Reply 13
Mr M
Type it into your calculator - see if that gives you one.

haha thats what i did when i was trying to decide what it was a few weeks back xD
Would it make more sense, generally, to not treat 0 on its own like an integer? You can't add it, divide by it, multiply by it, subtract it from anything, etc.

re. the 0^0 = 1 point. Isn't the n^0 = 1 point just a feature of the log function? I also seem to remember that you can't really do/use logs of 0s.
Reply 15
Ramadulla

You can't be serious?
Do you even think what you are posting. If this was the case, there would be no need for this thread.

idiot
DescartesWasMyDad
You can't add it, divide by it, multiply by it, subtract it from anything, etc.

k + 0 = k (Addition successful)

k - 0 = k (Subtraction successful)

k x 0 = 0 (Multiplication successful)

k / 0 = ? (Division unsuccessful)

3 out of 4 ain't bad.
Mr M
k + 0 = k (Addition successful)

k - 0 = k (Subtraction successful)

k x 0 = 0 (Multiplication successful)

k / 0 = ? (Division unsuccessful)

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

It's a tautology though. It's like saying if I take this and do nothing to it, it's still itself. It's a completely pointless result and it doesn't behave like an integer.
DescartesWasMyDad
It's a tautology though. It's like saying if I take this and do nothing to it, it's still itself. It's a completely pointless result and it doesn't behave like an integer.

Ok let's abolish operations involving zero.

Oh heck, I can't solve this equation now!

(x + 1) (x - 3) = 0
Mr M
Ok let's abolish operations involving zero.

Oh heck, I can't solve this equation now!

(x + 1) (x - 3) = 0

I'm not saying abolish it, I'm saying it should be treated differently. If we stopped trying to use it as an integer then we get rid of all the problems. It's a fairly new addition to mathematical symbolic logic. It isn't really a quantity, measure, etc.

Latest