The Student Room Group

Geography 6 mark HELP

This is the question my teacher sent: "Why do tropical storms have severe primary and secondary effects?"
I know the primary and secondary effects for my case study, but I do not know what to write about, why they are severe???
Help please
Hi

I've moved this to study help for you, and I'm going to remove your duplicate thread.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Hi

I've moved this to study help for you, and I'm going to remove your duplicate thread.

Ok thanks, I did have some trouble :smile:
Original post by IntroNotExtro
This is the question my teacher sent: "Why do tropical storms have severe primary and secondary effects?"
I know the primary and secondary effects for my case study, but I do not know what to write about, why they are severe???
Help please

Hi! I literally answered this question on Friday in my lesson so hopefully I can help. I structured mine like this:

Intro - explain what tropical storms are and introduce your case study. eg. Tropical storms are intense weather systems caused by oceanic temperatures above 27 degrees C which tend to occur between 5 and 15 degrees N and S of the equator. The tropical storm I have studied is Typhoon Haiyan, which struck the Philippines on the 8th November 2013.

Paragraph 1 - explain one primary impact. Why did this impact the country in the way it did (eg. low development, not high above sea level)? How could this relate to other places that are hit by tropical storms?

Paragraph 2 - explain one secondary impact. Why did this impact the country in the way it did (eg. small economy, hard to reach remote areas) ? How could this relate to other places that are hit by tropical storms?

Conclusion - do tropical storms always have severe effects? if they don't always have severe effects, where do they and why do they?

I would make sure I talked about at least 1 environmental impact (either primary or secondary) and one socioeconomic impact (also either primary or secondary).

Hope this helps, but feel free to ask me anything further :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by thealphabetsays
Hi! I literally answered this question on Friday in my lesson so hopefully I can help. I structured mine like this:

Intro - explain what tropical storms are and introduce your case study. eg. Tropical storms are intense weather systems caused by oceanic temperatures above 27 degrees C which tend to occur between 5 and 15 degrees N and S of the equator. The tropical storm I have studied is Typhoon Haiyan, which struck the Philippines on the 8th November 2013.

Paragraph 1 - explain one primary impact. Why did this impact the country in the way it did (eg. low development, not high above sea level)? How could this relate to other places that are hit by tropical storms?

Paragraph 2 - explain one secondary impact. Why did this impact the country in the way it did (eg. small economy, hard to reach remote areas) ? How could this relate to other places that are hit by tropical storms?

Conclusion - do tropical storms always have severe effects? if they don't always have severe effects, where do they and why do they?

I would make sure I talked about at least 1 environmental impact (either primary or secondary) and one socioeconomic impact (also either primary or secondary).

Hope this helps, but feel free to ask me anything further :smile:

Omg thank you soo much, this has helped :blow:
Omg thank you soo much, this has helped :blow:

No problem! :smile:
Reply 6
Help please

You can talk about the case study and their secondary and primary impact and explain why it is severe ; for example (primary effect) 6,300 people were killed most of them were drawned by storm surge - typhoon Haiyan --> death tolls =decrease in population = less of income = low economy in the country.

Another example : 90% of Tocloban was destroyed -typhoon Haiyan --> needs money to rebuild --> most people will ends homeless and in poverty --> no money to rebuild --> country remain poor.

An example for secondary impact still from typhoon Haiyan : water got contaminated because there was a 800,000 litres oil leak. --> can't fishing (fishing takes a big part in Philippines' economy) --> no income --> country remain poor, and there might be spreading diseases from the contaminated water.
Thanks a lot. I'm in university now but I'm sure this answer can help someone else. ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending