The Student Room Group

What happens if i need a 5 in maths for biology, but only reach a grade 4?

i am a 2021 GCSE students and my exams are about to finish. I have always struggled hugely with maths, i have had a tutor for a few months beforehand too: it didn't help much. Though my paper 3 exam seemed easy to me , but i am not confident that i have reached a grade 5.
i need a grade 5 for Biology A - Level, will they still let me take it if i do not reach it?
Original post by lauren74267
i am a 2021 GCSE students and my exams are about to finish. I have always struggled hugely with maths, i have had a tutor for a few months beforehand too: it didn't help much. Though my paper 3 exam seemed easy to me , but i am not confident that i have reached a grade 5.
i need a grade 5 for Biology A - Level, will they still let me take it if i do not reach it?

It very much depends on your school. I originally wanted to do further maths a level which required grade 8 but I was 1 mark off and got a grade 7. I moved to a different school for 6th form but they said if I really wanted to do the further maths a level they would allow me. The same thing happened to my younger sibling who also moved to a new school for 6th form. I think it you’re staying at your current school they may be more likely to allow you to do the a level even if you don’t get the grade because they know you and your capabilities, however it really does depend on your school.
Original post by anonymous#192
It very much depends on your school. I originally wanted to do further maths a level which required grade 8 but I was 1 mark off and got a grade 7. I moved to a different school for 6th form but they said if I really wanted to do the further maths a level they would allow me. The same thing happened to my younger sibling who also moved to a new school for 6th form. I think it you’re staying at your current school they may be more likely to allow you to do the a level even if you don’t get the grade because they know you and your capabilities, however it really does depend on your school.

ah yes, i think my schools sixth form would definitely be more considerate , thanks for the advice
Reply 3
It's up to your school to decide if they will let you but they don't make these requirements up for fun - you may well struggle with the Maths in Biology if you aren't at (at least) grade 5 standard.
Your maths needs to be good for a level science subjects, if not you're really going to struggle. What are your other a level options that you are considering?
Original post by musicalrose
Your maths needs to be good for a level science subjects, if not you're really going to struggle. What are your other a level options that you are consideri

my original plan was biology, psychology and socioogy, my back up plan would be english lit, psychology and sociology , or replace sociology with criminology , these are my grades rn...
english lit/lang : 6
maths: 4, maybe a 5 if i reached it
religious studies: 7
history : 8
biology : 6
chemistry: 6
physics: 4
catering , and health and social care ( BTEC ) : distinctions
though i was told they may take my other grades into consideration if i dont get my maths to grade 5, i rly wanted to take a science but they all require a 5, it may be that they consider my other grades and think i am capable, but idk...
Original post by Compost
It's up to your school to decide if they will let you but they don't make these requirements up for fun - you may well struggle with the Maths in Biology if you aren't at (at least) grade 5 standard.

yeah i know D:
my original plan was biology, psychology and socioogy, my back up plan would be english lit, psychology and sociology , or replace sociology with criminology , these are my grades rn...
english lit/lang : 6
maths: 4, maybe a 5 if i reached it
religious studies: 7
history : 8
biology : 6
chemistry: 6
physics: 4
catering , and health and social care ( BTEC ) : distinctions
though i was told they may take my other grades into consideration if i dont get my maths to grade 5, i rly wanted to take a science but they all require a 5, it may be that they consider my other grades and think i am capable, but idk...

im literally in the exact same situation as you rn, did you school end up letting you study it?
Hey girl I’m in the same situation did they let you study it?
Reply 9
Original post by iqra_xoxoxoxox
Hey girl I’m in the same situation did they let you study it?

did they let you?
Reply 10
funnily enough so am i. did they end up letting you take it?

Original post by nicolebunny274
im literally in the exact same situation as you rn, did you school end up letting you study it?
Reply 11
did you take it?

Quick Reply

Latest