The Student Room Group

Mocks vs Exam GCSE grade boundaries

On my maths mock I did bad.. all I was told is that I got a 3. This was really demotivating for me because I need a 6. I didn't even pass the mock.
(I only did paper 4 and 5)

However, out of curiosity I check the grade boundaries and I got a 4 in both? Does that mean that the mocks will have high grade boundaries? and the actual exam will have the 'normal' boundaries?
Original post by jelly-fishes
On my maths mock I did bad.. all I was told is that I got a 3. This was really demotivating for me because I need a 6. I didn't even pass the mock.

However, out of curiosity I check the grade boundaries and I got a 4 in both? Does that mean that the mocks will have high grade boundaries? and the actual exam will have the 'normal' boundaries?

How did you check the grade boundaries, given that they vary every year?

Do you know how your mock exam was out together? Was it simply last year's paper, or was it a blend of questions from several papers? If the latter, then no officially published grade boundaries would apply.
Reply 2

i feel you, i got a U for my mock exam for math😞
Reply 3
i did this years maths higher ocr paper
Reply 4
but it's a bit confusing on what frame boundaries they used... are the grade boundaries higher to scare us or?
i did this years maths higher ocr paper

but it's a bit confusing on what frame boundaries they used... are the grade boundaries higher to scare us or?

By "this year", I assume you must mean last year (2023) - last summer specifically? You say you did Paper 4 and Paper 5, and that when you checked the notional boundaries (presumably from the OCR web site) you reached the grade 4 boundary but were awarded a grade 3 in your mock. Were you quite close to the grade 3 / grade 4 boundary? If so, I may have an explanation.

Obviously in actual exams, grades aren't awarded per paper - they're only awarded for the whole exam. However, OCR publish what that call "notional" grade boundaries per paper for when someone sits just one or two of them, perhaps in a mock. Paper 6 was harder than Paper 4 or Paper 5, so it impacted the overall grade boundaries - which is perhaps what you looked at.

For a grade 4 in Paper 4 you'd have needed 14/100 (14%). The same is true in Paper 5. However, because Paper 6 was harder, its boundaries were lower, so the overall grade 4 boundary (across all three papers) was 39/300 (13%). So if you were around the 13% / 14% mark, this might be the reason for the difference.

Or, as you say, your school may have "tweaked" the boundaries in an attempt to encourage you to work harder!
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia

By "this year", I assume you must mean last year (2023) - last summer specifically? You say you did Paper 4 and Paper 5, and that when you checked the notional boundaries (presumably from the OCR web site) you reached the grade 4 boundary but were awarded a grade 3 in your mock. Were you quite close to the grade 3 / grade 4 boundary? If so, I may have an explanation.

Obviously in actual exams, grades aren't awarded per paper - they're only awarded for the whole exam. However, OCR publish what that call "notional" grade boundaries per paper for when someone sits just one or two of them, perhaps in a mock. Paper 6 was harder than Paper 4 or Paper 5, so it impacted the overall grade boundaries - which is perhaps what you looked at.

For a grade 4 in Paper 4 you'd have needed 14/100 (14%). The same is true in Paper 5. However, because Paper 6 was harder, its boundaries were lower, so the overall grade 4 boundary (across all three papers) was 39/300 (13%). So if you were around the 13% / 14% mark, this might be the reason for the difference.

Or, as you say, your school may have "tweaked" the boundaries in an attempt to encourage you to work harder!

this makes a lot more sense!! thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest