The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Ten-Ten
Yeah they taught us that verse but not in the way that it’s centred around a specific day. I do recall reading that the spirit of God descended and people spoke in tongues but that’s not something I celebrate

Peter goes on to say:

"being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he (Jesus) has shed forth this, which you now see and hear
. . . for the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." (vv33, 39)

. . . that means you and me . . . i.e. God doesn't just want us to "celebrate" what happened then, he wants us to receive it now!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by NJA
Peter goes on to say:

"being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he (Jesus) has shed forth this, which you now see and hear
. . . for the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." (vv33, 39)

. . . that means you and me . . . i.e. God doesn't just want us to "celebrate" what happened then, he wants us to receive it now!

I have received the holy spirit and I do speak in tongues but I don’t celebrate the day of Pentecost
Reply 42
Original post by Ten-Ten
I have received the holy spirit and I do speak in tongues but I don’t celebrate the day of Pentecost

aha, same as me (Galatians 4:10)
Original post by NJA
aha, same as me (Galatians 4:10)

Yeah I think I knew what it was but not the specific name for the event or the day
Hi! 👋

I've only just come across this thread so I'll introduce myself. I'm a Catholic convert (from the Anglican church/CofE) and I've been a Christian my whole life.

My favourites are:
Bible passage: Matthew 14-16 (city on a hill/light under a bowl)
Worship song: It's always changing but at the most I really like 'Same God' by Hannah Kerr.
Saints: St Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (St Edith Stein), St Teresa of Avila and St Therese of Lisieux (I seem to have a particular interest in the Carmelites 😂).

I'll be back every now and again whenever I remember.
Original post by ulchabhan
Hi! 👋

I've only just come across this thread so I'll introduce myself. I'm a Catholic convert (from the Anglican church/CofE) and I've been a Christian my whole life.

My favourites are:
Bible passage: Matthew 14-16 (city on a hill/light under a bowl)
Worship song: It's always changing but at the most I really like 'Same God' by Hannah Kerr.
Saints: St Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (St Edith Stein), St Teresa of Avila and St Therese of Lisieux (I seem to have a particular interest in the Carmelites 😂).

I'll be back every now and again whenever I remember.

Carmelites ftw! :five: :woo: :awesome:
Hi, I just found this thread. Daniel here!

I'm an Anglican, raised in the CofE and currently in the CiW.

I've been a Christian my whole life by virtue of baptism, but only truly embraced my faith about 7 years ago at age 15.

It's hard to choose a favourite hymn, but Lo! he comes with clouds descending always gives me a special feeling when I hear it in Advent, when we're ready to embrace and reaffirm the whole Christian story afresh each year.

I'd have to choose Romans 8. 38-39: For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

:smile:
Reply 47
Original post by danconway
Hi, I just found this thread. Daniel here!

I'm an Anglican, raised in the CofE and currently in the CiW.

I've been a Christian my whole life by virtue of baptism, but only truly embraced my faith about 7 years ago at age 15.

It's hard to choose a favourite hymn, but Lo! he comes with clouds descending always gives me a special feeling when I hear it in Advent, when we're ready to embrace and reaffirm the whole Christian story afresh each year.

What's CiW?

Speaking of Romans 8, do you know what vv15-16, 26 refers to?
Original post by NJA
What's CiW?

Speaking of Romans 8, do you know what vv15-16, 26 refers to?

Church in Wales, I've been adopted by Cardiff :smile:

"For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received a spirit of adoption. When we cry, ‘Abba! Father!’ it is that very Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God,"

I interpret it as reinforcing Christ's ministry in fulfilling the Old Covenant and giving us the New - no longer was our relationship with God one of law, sacrifice and punishment, but that through his Incarnation, Christ came down to us in order to lead us back up to the Father as children of God, something we affirm when we cry 'Father'.

"Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words."

We don't truly know how to pray - I notice that a lot of people pray in ways such as 'Please God, can I win the lottery' or 'Dear God, let England win the Euros this year', as though God is concerned with the trivial and wordly matters of our lives. Our prayers should solely be concerned with helping us to love our neighbour and to love God. But even then, if we pray for strength to live good lives, are we praying as we ought? God already knows the secrets of our hearts and to try and second guess him, as though he is not already acting in our lives, may not be right, either. The Holy Spirit acts in our lives in ways we cannot imagine, in ways we cannot predict ('too deep for words').

In short, we'll never really know how to pray, but we can try, and therefore instead of seeing prayer as a way to bring our situations to God and ask for help, prayer is an opportunity to connect with God, deepen our own awareness of the Spirit working in us, and separate our thoughts from those of worldly things. It reminds me of a prayer that centres me in that way:

Almighty God, the fountain of all wisdom,
you know our needs before we ask,
and our ignorance in asking:
have compassion on our weakness,
and give us those things
which for our unworthiness we dare not,
and for our blindness we cannot ask,
for the sake of your Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

This is just my take but I hope it helps in some way. Blessings.
Reply 49
Original post by danconway
Church in Wales, I've been adopted by Cardiff :smile:

"For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received a spirit of adoption. When we cry, ‘Abba! Father!’ it is that very Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God,"

I interpret it as reinforcing Christ's ministry in fulfilling the Old Covenant and giving us the New - no longer was our relationship with God one of law, sacrifice and punishment, but that through his Incarnation, Christ came down to us in order to lead us back up to the Father as children of God, something we affirm when we cry 'Father'.

"Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words."

We don't truly know how to pray - I notice that a lot of people pray in ways such as 'Please God, can I win the lottery' or 'Dear God, let England win the Euros this year', as though God is concerned with the trivial and wordly matters of our lives. Our prayers should solely be concerned with helping us to love our neighbour and to love God. But even then, if we pray for strength to live good lives, are we praying as we ought? God already knows the secrets of our hearts and to try and second guess him, as though he is not already acting in our lives, may not be right, either. The Holy Spirit acts in our lives in ways we cannot imagine, in ways we cannot predict ('too deep for words').

In short, we'll never really know how to pray, but we can try, and therefore instead of seeing prayer as a way to bring our situations to God and ask for help, prayer is an opportunity to connect with God, deepen our own awareness of the Spirit working in us, and separate our thoughts from those of worldly things. It reminds me of a prayer that centres me in that way:

Almighty God, the fountain of all wisdom,
you know our needs before we ask,
and our ignorance in asking:
have compassion on our weakness,
and give us those things
which for our unworthiness we dare not,
and for our blindness we cannot ask,
for the sake of your Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

This is just my take but I hope it helps in some way. Blessings.

Helps me see where you're at, I'll tell you what these verses mean to me

Romans 8:15-16 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. [16] The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

God is a spirit therefore I would expect a spiritual language from the Holy Spirit, which is exactly what happened . . in Acts they spoke in new tongues Which Paul and the other apostles took as God's independent witness that they had been born of his (invisible) spirit. (See Acts 19v1-6 for example).

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

It is for prayer, not speaking to men (see also 1 Cor. 14v2, 4). We don't have the words to pray for God's love joy and peace, which pass our understanding this of course His Spirit does!
(edited 2 years ago)
hello
Reply 51
Original post by tinygirl96
hello

Join in, we r talking about Romans 8v15-16, 26
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey everyone! :bigsmile:

Welcome @danconway :hi:
I came across this prayer a few months ago and now I pray it every night, I love it so much!

Instrument of your peace - St Francis of Assisi

Lord make me an instrument of you peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love,
Where there is injury, pardon,
Where there is doubt, faith,
Where there is despair, hope,
Where there is darkness, light,
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much
seek to be consoled as to console,
Not so much to be understood as to understand,
Not so much to be loved as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive,
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
It is in dying that we awake to eternal life.
Amen.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi i am 16 been a Christian my whole life

My mum is an Evangelist so i have so much expectations of me lol
I wasn't really serious with God but during the first lockdown i felt thw power of God.
When we resumed school i felt my self deviate again. But when i pray i always receive very speedy answers and it breaks my heart cuz God loves me but i barely hearkened to him.

So i had decided to take God really serious as of last week listening to Pastor Dag Heward Mills. He is a really good preacher you can listen to him on spotify.

My favorite Gospel song is No one like you by Nathaniel bassey.
my denomination is Pentecostal

My fav verse psalm 91 vs 5
Original post by heldbygrace
Hey everyone! :bigsmile:

Welcome @danconway :hi:

Thank you!!! And thank you for the thread! :hi:
Hi everyone, and welcome to the newbies! :grouphugs:

A friend of mine is being ordained a deacon in the Church of England next week Saturday (3rd July)! This has been a long time coming. If people here would pray for him, I'd be so grateful :redface: His name is Matthew :h:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

A friend of mine is being ordained a deacon in the Church of England next week Saturday (3rd July)! This has been a long time coming. If people here would pray for him, I'd be so grateful :redface: His name is Matthew :h:

Ooo how exciting - a friend of mine was priested today {C of E} :smile:
Original post by Muttley79

How wonderful! Many congratulations to your friend! :awesome:

:hugs:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Praying for Matthew and his ministry in the diaconate! :smile:

Original post by Muttley79

Congratulations to your friend! Praying for him. Ad multos annos!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending