The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
It's great to hear how involved you are in your church's outreach and activities! :biggrin:

My church has put out a call for new people for the readings rota. I think I'd be good at it if I were able to go to church but I'm not, so can't volunteer myself :frown:

I don't think the age of 25, as in Numbers, is a good age to start serving in current times. It symbolises a young age, as in the New Testament which tells us that we cannot say we are unable because we are young.
I started serving at 15 which is quite young, but people around my age can approach kids more easily.
Reply 81
Guys, I think that I treat God's word too seriously, through my Gaokao-ish bible study. When someone in my church gives a particular bible study as "suggested", it is "required" for me. I always give myself deadlines to complete them, and will cry when I fall short of the deadline.
And I always do more than the church expected for bible study, such as completing 4 days worth of work in 3 days. I have just read Philippians for the 25th time in 18 months. This is just crazy when the church asks for 5, I did the square of 5. Do you think it is too much in terms of seeking God? My time spent on social media decreased sharply, like the straight portion of a pH curve with acid added to base.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 8013
I don't think the age of 25, as in Numbers, is a good age to start serving in current times. It symbolises a young age, as in the New Testament which tells us that we cannot say we are unable because we are young.
I started serving at 15 which is quite young, but people around my age can approach kids more easily.

I'm not quite clear on what you are trying to tell me in this post? :nah: Particularly as I am not 25 years old (am nearly 33 years old) :tongue:
Original post by 8013
Guys, I think that I treat God's word too seriously, through my Gaokao-ish bible study. When someone in my church gives a particular bible study as "suggested", it is "required" for me. I always give myself deadlines to complete them, and will cry when I fall short of the deadline.
And I always do more than the church expected for bible study, such as completing 4 days worth of work in 3 days. I have just read Philippians for the 25th time in 18 months. This is just crazy when the church asks for 5, I did the square of 5. Do you think it is too much in terms of seeking God? My time spent on social media decreased sharply, like the straight portion of a pH curve with acid added to base.

It does sound like you put too much pressure on yourself and have a tendency to take things to the extreme. Something to keep an eye on :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm not quite clear on what you are trying to tell me in this post? :nah: Particularly as I am not 25 years old (am nearly 33 years old) :tongue:

I am telling that in current times, we do not to be like the old Levites when we wait until 25 to start serving God seriously. I started such things at 15 and I learnt how to serve well over the years.
Original post by 8013
I am telling that in current times, we do not to be like the old Levites when we wait until 25 to start serving God seriously. I started such things at 15 and I learnt how to serve well over the years.

Oh my bad, thanks for clarifying! I understand better now :smile:
Original post by 8013

I think your pursuit of God is so admirable and it shows how much you love and really want to seek him. When I read this, the one thing that came to mind was that story in the Bible (either with Elisha or Elijah, I can’t remember :colondollar:) where he is waiting to hear from God. He hears a violent wind, but God isn’t in the wind, then there’s an earthquake (I’m not totally sure if this is right, I will check and edit later) but God wasn’t in it. Basically there are all these loud powerful and big things that happen where he expects God to speak to him but he doesn’t. However after those things have passed, God speaks to him in a whisper. I thought of this in regards to you because it’s great that you are doing so much, so many big things for God, but perhaps if you are struggling to hear from him or you don’t think you are getting to him, maybe you need to sit back and wait for the whisper. Just a small Bible verse everyday, rather than powering through chapter by chapter, just something small but powerful to reflect on. God loves that you are so devoted to his word, but it’s not quantity he wants from you, he just wants your heart. Sure, read the entire Bible through, but take it at a slow and reflective pace. God speaks in tiny ways, and you can speak back to him in tiny ways. For example, waking up in the morning and reading about the fruits of the spirit, then actively throughout your day choosing a couple to try and do as much as possible, is the same amount of worship as reading loads of the Bible, or reading Philippians over and over. Christianity is an active faith, read it and put it into action, bit by bit. Remember you are being sanctified: moving towards perfection for heaven over a slow process through the gradual learning and improvement of yourself. I hope this is all ok, obviously you may not share my opinion, but this is just what I felt led to say after I read this. :smile:

Edit: The Bible Passage:

“The Lord said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.” Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?””
**1 Kings‬ *19:11-13‬ *NIV‬‬
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by heldbygrace
I think your pursuit of God is so admirable and it shows how much you love and really want to seek him. When I read this, the one thing that came to mind was that story in the Bible (either with Elisha or Elijah, I can’t remember :colondollar:) where he is waiting to hear from God. He hears a violent wind, but God isn’t in the wind, then there’s an earthquake (I’m not totally sure if this is right, I will check and edit later) but God wasn’t in it. Basically there are all these loud powerful and big things that happen where he expects God to speak to him but he doesn’t. However after those things have passed, God speaks to him in a whisper. I thought of this in regards to you because it’s great that you are doing so much, so many big things for God, but perhaps if you are struggling to hear from him or you don’t think you are getting to him, maybe you need to sit back and wait for the whisper. Just a small Bible verse everyday, rather than powering through chapter by chapter, just something small but powerful to reflect on. God loves that you are so devoted to his word, but it’s not quantity he wants from you, he just wants your heart. Sure, read the entire Bible through, but take it at a slow and reflective pace. God speaks in tiny ways, and you can speak back to him in tiny ways. For example, waking up in the morning and reading about the fruits of the spirit, then actively throughout your day choosing a couple to try and do as much as possible, is the same amount of worship as reading loads of the Bible, or reading Philippians over and over. Christianity is an active faith, read it and put it into action, bit by bit. Remember you are being sanctified: moving towards perfection for heaven over a slow process through the gradual learning and improvement of yourself. I hope this is all ok, obviously you may not share my opinion, but this is just what I felt led to say after I read this. :smile:

“The Lord said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.” Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?””

What a wonderful post, wise beyond your years! :smile:
Original post by NJA
Don't limit yourself

Matthew 4:4 "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

This is in Deuteronomy aswell, I think it’s what Jesus quoted when Satan tried to tempt him.
Reply 88

Thanks a lot!
Verse and pursue action starts 10/07/2021
I will be journaling this with what God spoke to me and my response over that day and the week following.
(edited 2 years ago)
I’m 22, would have considered myself Christian most of my life until 2 months ago when I decided to come closer to my faith, weird things occurred and I had a tough time with sleeping. I’ve heard that the enemy attacks more when you take steps closer to your faith. But I decided to start reading through my Bible which I have done since then using a specific guide, and realised the way I lived before was contrary to scripture and how there is a false belief that good people go to heaven and most people consider themselves good, despite the bible saying that path is narrow. I also found fellowship and began attending church and getting involved in it which is one of the best things you can do. Got baptised again a two sundays ago which I am glad I did. Church wise I am non-denominational and prefer to follow scripture.
Reply 90
I read three passages about pride today, which changed my attitude on criticism. I think that criticism is a north pole of a magnet and my heart is a south pole now. Then I will just absorb the criticism, check whether it is correct through prayer and improve according to it.
And I will not post my grades anywhere. It is an action of pride to post your grades somewhere, especially if they are A*s or 9s. so I will just credit my success to God for good grades because they are not achievable without the wisdom from above.
As for yesterday's passages, they talked about challenges faced by the people of God. When I have some tough situations in life, I will not think God isn't here, as he gives them to me so I can grow up through them. For example, I always find myself losing old friendships. This may be a situation which God prepared me, so I can care more for other people and never take everything for granted.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by LiftandRead
I’m 22, would have considered myself Christian most of my life until 2 months ago when I decided to come closer to my faith, weird things occurred and I had a tough time with sleeping. I’ve heard that the enemy attacks more when you take steps closer to your faith. But I decided to start reading through my Bible which I have done since then using a specific guide, and realised the way I lived before was contrary to scripture and how there is a false belief that good people go to heaven and most people consider themselves good, despite the bible saying that path is narrow. I also found fellowship and began attending church and getting involved in it which is one of the best things you can do. Got baptised again a two sundays ago which I am glad I did. Church wise I am non-denominational and prefer to follow scripture.

Congratulations on your baptism! Great to have you here! :smile:
Reply 92
This is in Deuteronomy aswell, I think it’s what Jesus quoted when Satan tried to tempt him.

yes, look, some things God says are hard but there are plenty of amazing things that make what seems hard at first easier. Also, Jesus had received the Holy Spirit, have you?
Original post by NJA
yes, look, some things God says are hard but there are plenty of amazing things that make what seems hard at first easier. Also, Jesus had received the Holy Spirit, have you?

I’ve seen that receiving the Holy Spirit is seeing the fruits of it in your life. I’m definitely working on moving closer to God.
Reply 94
I read another passage about self-doubt today. I always find myself thinking that something is impossible to me. But God can turn it possible, so I can do remarkable things for Him.
For example, I always overwork myself, so I would like to bring my work organisation to God. He will have the best plan to let me know how to delegate tasks and to avoid overworking myself. Overworking myself shows that I am not efficient enough as I need to do more work than others to achieve a goal.
At the same time, it happens to my vocal range as well as it is not high enough to hit some notes on hymms. I am a typical bass myself so I always find myself difficult to sing the hymns in their original key, making it tougher to worship God. God provided me a plan that when I sing hymns myself, I will just play the melody in the background and I will sing the bass part, making myself having more feeling in the hymns.
Guys, do you have anything you have self-doubt on? Remember to quote this post and we can uplift our self-doubts to God. We are very special because of how God made us.
Reply 95
I’ve seen that receiving the Holy Spirit is seeing the fruits of it in your life. I’m definitely working on moving closer to God.

Fruits don't necessarily mean that people have received the Spirit but it does indicate they are seeking

Matthew 3:8 KJV Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

Acts 8:5,8,12,14-15
"Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. And there was great joy in that city . . . But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women . . Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost"
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by NJA
Fruits don't necessarily mean that people have received the Spirit but it does indicate they are seeking

Matthew 3:8 KJV Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

Acts 8:5,8,12,14-15
"Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. And there was great joy in that city . . . But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women . . Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost"

Yes. I think that if the spirit of God is shown on one person, fruits are naturally coming out from them.
In addition, hearing the voice of God also helps you receive the Holy Spirit and work according to it, when you are not sure how to bear fruits of God.
Reply 97

God just told me to make fewer posts on TSR over time about news and current affairs, or other forums which have mostly news included, so I can have fewer idols which block God. I am now expected to not glance at such pages within three months, but go for Study Help posts instead. The number of posts I make on TSR will be similar to before but the distribution will be different.
I also find that many young people in where I live nowadays never treat worship seriously. They seldom join in the singing of hymns, rather treating it as a performance. God's whisper to me at 2pm has changed my attitude. He told me to think that the microphone has been cut off and I need to sing my heart out to God. I did it during my graduation when 2 guys led the singspiration with the hymn Majesty. I glanced at their faces and found that they were less nervous as they should hear me. This should be the correct attitude to worship, and it ended win-win.
From the next FA cup final onwards, when Abide With Me is sung before the game, I will mute the TV and sing the song myself with my whole heart.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 98
Original post by 8013
Yes. I think that if the spirit of God is shown on one person, fruits are naturally coming out from them.
In addition, hearing the voice of God also helps you receive the Holy Spirit and work according to it, when you are not sure how to bear fruits of God.

If you ever want to hear God's voice and grow in understanding, you can read a relevant passage of his word. There is only one gospel and you want to receive the Holy Spirit, so I would recommend Acts 2 where the Spirit began to be given . . . put yourself there as you read it . . . God will speak to you!
Reply 99
Original post by 8013

Another way is to hear personal testimony of people alive today who have received . . I heard a few this morning, if u forward one hour in on this video there are a couple

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending