The Student Room Group

Best university for general engineering?

Virtually all the people I've met planning to do general engineering are struggling to decide between Durham, Sheffield and Warwick (for those without Oxbridge offers). Durham is prestigious and a very nice place to live, but Sheffield's engineering department seems awesome. I'm still not sure and I have a week left to decide, so what does everyone else think?
I've firmed Warwick. The reason why is that they've got amazing facilities and the opportunity to focus on your own projects. I went for a campus tour and they have around 15 3D printers free to use at any time, and they have something called DesignJam where trained students nd teachers will help you to do you own projects. Also they'll order any materials you need free of charge. Their Boring team is one of the final 12 in Elon Musk's worldwide competition and they're going to San Fran (I think) to compete. And they're got a lot of industry companies based on campus so there'es the opportunity for internhips and placements on campus.
Also I just think they have a really nice campus
Original post by wizkid44
I've firmed Warwick. The reason why is that they've got amazing facilities and the opportunity to focus on your own projects. I went for a campus tour and they have around 15 3D printers free to use at any time, and they have something called DesignJam where trained students nd teachers will help you to do you own projects. Also they'll order any materials you need free of charge. Their Boring team is one of the final 12 in Elon Musk's worldwide competition and they're going to San Fran (I think) to compete. And they're got a lot of industry companies based on campus so there'es the opportunity for internhips and placements on campus.

Interesting, Warwick seems to be the least popular choice of the three from what I've heard. Did you attend tours from the other two as well? I personally found Sheffield's engineering facilities to be very impressive. What was it about Warwick's facilities that you liked so much compared to the other two?
Original post by ExoticFight
Interesting, Warwick seems to be the least popular choice of the three from what I've heard. Did you attend tours from the other two as well? I personally found Sheffield's engineering facilities to be very impressive. What was it about Warwick's facilities that you liked so much compared to the other two?

I mean I didn’t look at Sheffield at all, and very briefly at Durham so I can’t really compare directly.

But it was the facilities for 3D printers and the stuff available with that. They have a wind tunnel and I like their computer lab which is 24/7 so you can use it anytime. Also their Warwick motor group on campus which is really good for Warwick’s motor team. Plus I love their sports and wellness hub and arts centre which have both recently been completely rebuilt
Reply 4
Original post by ExoticFight
Virtually all the people I've met planning to do general engineering are struggling to decide between Durham, Sheffield and Warwick (for those without Oxbridge offers). Durham is prestigious and a very nice place to live, but Sheffield's engineering department seems awesome. I'm still not sure and I have a week left to decide, so what does everyone else think?

Which uni did you end up going?
Reply 5
Original post by wizkid44

Do you currently do general engineering at Warwick? If so how is it?

Quick Reply

Latest