The Student Room Group

Applying to ucas with 1st year credits /Engineering

Hi, I failed one module in my first year and got 105/120 credits in mechanical engineering.

I would like to reapply to a different university for 1st year of electrical & electronic engineering as it's more where my interests lie.
However, I don't meet the A-level requirements for the university I want to get into so my question is whether universities will consider taking me in 1st year based on my completed engineering modules and credits achieved (I failed a coding module but past the rest) despite my a-level grades.
Original post by alaraa_
Hi, I failed one module in my first year and got 105/120 credits in mechanical engineering.

I would like to reapply to a different university for 1st year of electrical & electronic engineering as it's more where my interests lie.
However, I don't meet the A-level requirements for the university I want to get into so my question is whether universities will consider taking me in 1st year based on my completed engineering modules and credits achieved (I failed a coding module but past the rest) despite my a-level grades.

That would very much depend on the university. Did you have a particular university in mind?
Original post by alaraa_

Failing 1st year of a mech-eng degree won’t help your application, as it will raise obvious questions as to your suitability to pass other engineering degrees, you would probably best reaching out to the university informally first and see what they say.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
That would very much depend on the university. Did you have a particular university in mind?

Hi thanks for replying, I was looking at uni of Manchester, uni of Bath and Bristol

Original post by mnot
Failing 1st year of a mech-eng degree won’t help your application, as it will raise obvious questions as to your suitability to pass other engineering degrees, you would probably best reaching out to the university informally first and see what they say.

I failed because of non-submission (I didn't even look at the work) due to personal circumstances I was dealing with at the time.. but yeah you're right it does look bad regardless
Original post by alaraa_
Hi thanks for replying, I was looking at uni of Manchester, uni of Bath and Bristol

Manchester
The Application and Selection page Manchester's BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering page, here, specifically covers your scenario:

"Applicants studying qualifications above RQF Level 3 may be required to achieve high grades in their most recent relevant studies, in addition to meeting our Level 3 entry requirements."

That's no very promising.

Bath
Bath's Electrical and Electronic Engineering page, here, covers a lot of alternative entry qualifications (including Open University credits, for example, and HNCs/HNDs), but I can't see anything which would be directly applicable to your circumstances. The general 'tone' of their entry requirements however, conveys a sense of flexibility.

Bristol
Bristol's Electrical and Electronic Engineering Admissions Statement, here, doesn't cover your scenario specifically and just talks in general terms with phrases like, "Other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis." (Clearly you 105 credits don't constitute a qualification anyway.)

I don't suppose you took a couple of gaps years prior to starting your mechanical Engineering Degree, did you? I ask as if you'd be classed as a mature student (over 21 at the time of starting the new degree), as Bristol say they would "welcome mature applicants, and assess such applications holistically, taking into account factors such as relevant work experience and personal circumstances that may have interrupted or prevented previous degree level study."

Conclusion
None of your target universities make it clear whether they'll pay any attention to your 105 credits. They may simply look at your A level grades, see that they don't the criteria, and move on.

As @mnot has suggested, I think your best bet is to contact each of these universities, provide details of the A level grades and your 105 credits in Mechanical Engineering, and ask whether an application to Electrical and Electronic Engineering would be considered.
Reply 5
Forget Bath - they will want the same A level grades as they expect from all 1st years and they wont be impressed that you have already failed at another Uni. Other top Unis are likely to have a similar attitude so you may need to aim at 'lower grade' Unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending