The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Do the Scots and the Welsh hate Northern English?

I'm asking out of curiosity because when the Scots and the Welsh rant about the English, are they mostly referring to London and the South East or English people in general? I would be very surprised if they hated Northerners as the North of England is just as ignored and under funded as Scotland and Wales and they get treated with disdain from Westminster aswell, so I always thought there was no animosity there at all. Northerners aren't perceived to be arrogant like Londoners and they respect the Scots and the Welsh to a much greater extent. So when the Scots and the Welsh say they hate the English, are they really including Northerners aswell?
(edited 2 years ago)
No we dont. I probably had more discrimination when I lived East Anglia back in 2003. People back then didnt have internet in their hands hence the constant stereotyping for being Scottish.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
I don't like being ruled from Westminster, I don't like 'Little Englanders' (Who does?) and I don't like people who don't like me. (up'em)

I don't hate any of these people, excessive and senseless, and if anything it's one of the main differences I see between Scotland and England.
Reply 3
People definitely did have internet access in 2003. Unless you mean it wasn't as mainstream.
imo the northerners are more arrogant and always trying to prove themselves, but yeah I agree with you the scottish view the northeners as similar to them and their dislike is really for south england
Original post by KatieBee123
People definitely did have internet access in 2003. Unless you mean it wasn't as mainstream.

I said people didnt have access to the internet readily with their hands (mobiles) not everyone had a mobile phone either.
Reply 6
Original post by caramelon
imo the northerners are more arrogant and always trying to prove themselves, but yeah I agree with you the scottish view the northeners as similar to them and their dislike is really for south england

Probably not South West England either but I'm almost certain it's largely South East. What makes Northerners more arrogant?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Shaqiloheal
I said people didnt have access to the internet readily with their hands (mobiles) not everyone had a mobile phone either.

Oh sorry. My mistake.
Probably not South West England either but I'm almost certain it's largely South East. What makes Northerners more arrogant?

reverse snobbism, they can have a chip on their shoulder trying to put down the apparently stuck up southerners but to me that makes them stuck up in their own way
Reply 9
Original post by caramelon
reverse snobbism, they can have a chip on their shoulder trying to put down the apparently stuck up southerners but to me that makes them stuck up in their own way

They're getting payback which is understandable.
They're getting payback which is understandable.

https://www.dummies.com/education/math/calculus/how-to-solve-improper-integrals-that-have-one-or-two-infinite-limits-of-integration/

This should be helpful to explain it in a more comprehensive way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending