The Student Room Group

WJEC Additional Maths - help!

I'm an A* student and I'm taking Maths A-level next year (with a view to do PPE, potentially at Oxford or a similar uni) but I've got my Additional Maths exam in two days' time and it's really stressing me out.
My whole class has been entered into the exam regardless of if they're taking it next year (apart from 2 or 3 that got a B in GCSE Maths) and my Maths teacher has been okay but seems a little inexperienced with higher end Maths, not teaching A level or any class above Year 9 ability apart from ours.
What happens with Additional Maths when applying to Unis like Oxford or Cambridge? I've got a high A* already in GCSE Numeracy and I know if I had the time (having had 17 exams this summer) I would be able to do it really well (so it's not a matter of ability with A-levels in mind) but am I required to put it on my forms/will my Uni be able to see my result? I'm not sure how it would be fair to compare a low grade on an optional qualification compared to someone who had not sat said qualification at all.
Hello from Wales! I was to do the extra maths GCSE but I decided I could never do or think of maths as any further than a necessary subject I needed to get through life. Past GCSE, for me I didn't need it.

However, universities, I believe, can see GCSE results; they need to see whether you passed English and maths GCSEs. Maybe places like Oxford will take into account sometimes your GCSEs in competitive subjects like PPE but it's unlikely. I got an A in numeracy last November, so you're already better than me! Since extra maths is on the pass, pass* and merit system, I I think pass* or merit should suffice if ever they want to take a look at your GCSEs. But I had a B in history last year so I wouldn't sweat it. (I am in Set 1A, I just hate maths)

A quick question, which other A Levels are you taking? If you want to take Maths and Further maths and get an A and B respectively, Oxbridge will never care about maths GCSE results- a B in further maths is extremely impressive.

I might be going to Oxford for English to study Jane Austen lol, so if I decide Modern languages or Welsh degrees are not for me, see you there!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
I’m taking Maths, History, Psychology and Religion, Ethics & Philosophy (REP being one A level) next year but I think I’ll drop Psychology. My mistake this year was taking way too much on board (I did an additional GCSE in Textiles too) and it was just wayyy too stressful, and our school already makes us do Welsh Bacc for A level 🙄
(edited 10 months ago)
Aaah understood. I'm taking English lit, french, Welsh and Spanish. And Welsh Bacc- 😔😐 stupid government. But those a levels should be perfect for PPE. Is the economics A Level available to you? Since that over psych could help. But I'm doing all my a levels in Welsh ahaha 🤣 so Oxford might be a very big transition for me lol
Reply 4
Original post by Treigladauywbyw
Aaah understood. I'm taking English lit, french, Welsh and Spanish. And Welsh Bacc- 😔😐 stupid government. But those a levels should be perfect for PPE. Is the economics A Level available to you? Since that over psych could help. But I'm doing all my a levels in Welsh ahaha 🤣 so Oxford might be a very big transition for me lol

Our school does offer economics but I spoke to my head of Sixth Form (he's really experienced) and he said it doesn't really matter between psychology and economics & I prefer Science-based subjects anyway, but I did consider it :h: Hefyd - dw i ddim yn rhugl yn Cymraeg yn bendant ond dwi i gallu siarad tipyn bach - mae gen i teulu estynedig pwy gallu siarad yr iaeth ond hoffwn i ddim gwneud Cymraeg i lefel A achos mae'n well 'da fy siarad yr iaeth a i fod yn onest dydy mae fy ysgol ddim yn wedi dysgwch fi llawer
(edited 10 months ago)
Reit, dwi'n du ddeall di rwan. Mae'r Gymraeg yn hynod o bwysig imi felly dwi'n ei cymeryd yn bellach, a hefyd mae'm hathrawon yn WYCH. Mae hefyd llawer yn cymeryd y pwnc eleni gydag ugain o bobl yn fy nosbarth y flwyddyn nesaf. Ond mae Rhydychen yn hynod o anodd i allu cyrraedd yno felly dwi'n gobeithio dy fod di'n gallu astudio yno!!
Reply 6
y mwyaf o fy athrawon ydy dda ond i cymraeg ail iaeth mae’r iaeth ddim yn defnyddiaeth iawn, dw i wedi dysgu am ysmgyu etc heb dysgu y pethau sylfaenol! hefyd pob lwc i ti! ti’n lwcus iawn i siarad dwy iaethoedd a bydd yn helpu dysgu ffrangeg a sbaeneg
What did you go to get the A* in numeracy as I’ve got it in 2 months and don’t know what resources are helpful to get the A*
Reply 8
Original post by Amelierosser
What did you go to get the A* in numeracy as I’ve got it in 2 months and don’t know what resources are helpful to get the A*

Original post by Amelierosser
trust me you’ll be okay if ur starting ur proper revision now 🙏🏼🙏🏼 i used mathswatch to practise and google sheets to track my progress (i’ve tried to attach a photo and we had advance information so your topics won’t be the same - i used a colour code to track what i’ve done but id use either a textbook or the syllabus to determine your topics). i also had the textbook which i wouldn’t usually recommend but for maths everything is useful - but most importantly use wjec build a paper to practise the topics.
IMG_6525.jpeg
Original post by fqriewiings
trust me you’ll be okay if ur starting ur proper revision now 🙏🏼🙏🏼 i used mathswatch to practise and google sheets to track my progress (i’ve tried to attach a photo and we had advance information so your topics won’t be the same - i used a colour code to track what i’ve done but id use either a textbook or the syllabus to determine your topics). i also had the textbook which i wouldn’t usually recommend but for maths everything is useful - but most importantly use wjec build a paper to practise the topics.
IMG_6525.jpeg
This is so helpful thank you so much! Hoping I will get the A* that’s why I’m starting my revision right now I have an audit of topics that have come up since 2016 so I will practice them on maths watch 😁

Quick Reply

Latest