The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by plshelpmelol
thank god!
finally, someone else who hasn't started preparing for the NSAA

Well maybe we should start :biggrin:
1) What A-Levels (and/or other qualifications) are you taking?
- chemistry
- biology
- physics
- maths
Predicted 4A*

2) What strain of Natural Sciences are you thinking of doing - Biological or Physical?
Mainly Biological but would like to explore some physics modules as well

3) Why are you thinking of applying for NatSci?
I like all my A levels and want to keep the breadth

4) What grades did you get at GCSE?
999 - Triple Science
888- Geography, Computer Science, Maths
77- English Lit and language
6-Spanish...

5) What universities are you thinking of applying for?
Cambridge
Imperial
UCL
Newcastle
Bristol
also considering, Exeter, Durham and Edinburgh for biochem

6) If you are applying for Cambridge (because realistically you probably are) what have you done to prepare for the NSAA (the admissions test)?
Haven't started... My decision to confirm natural sciences was recently made however I've seen some questions

7) If you are applying for Cambridge or Durham what colleges are you thinking of applying to?
Cambridge: Trinity, St Johns, Jesus, Emmanuel*

8) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application?
- TED talks
- Independent Research projects
- MOOC
-Medsoc Journal

9) What books have you read?
None...

10) What do you want to do with your Natural Sciences degree?
(edited 2 years ago)

Biology Chemistry Physics and Maths :h:

2) What strain of Natural Sciences are you thinking of doing - Biological or Physical?

The universities I'm applying to don't do natural sciences in that way but I really want to do a combination of some of these: maths, computer science, physics, biology and wtv other interesting subject areas I discover

I really love science! My intrests are broad and Im indecisive. :tongue: also want to keep my options open

Maths - 9
English Lit and Lang - 8
Triple Science - 9
Religious Studies - 9
Geography - 8
French - 5

A few. Nottingham and Lancaster are my favourites

6) If you are applying for Cambridge (because realistically you probably are) what have you done to prepare for the NSAA (the admissions test)?

Im not, I don't like the course

7) If you are applying for Cambridge or Durham what colleges are you thinking of applying to?

Slightly considering Durham. whichever allows SC :dontknow: I'm not fussy

erm, I like reading so itd take a long time for me to list them all loool.

data science msc or graduate role but open to many career/further study options
(edited 2 years ago)
s

Original post by Obolinda

Biology Chemistry Physics and Maths :h:

The universities I'm applying to don't do natural sciences in that way but I really want to do a combination of some of these: maths, computer science, physics, biology and wtv other interesting subject areas I discover

I really love science! My intrests are broad and Im indecisive. :tongue: also want to keep my options open

Maths - 9
English Lit and Lang - 8
Triple Science - 9
Religious Studies - 9
Geography - 8
French - 5

A few. Nottingham and Lancaster are my favourites

Im not, I don't like the course

Slightly considering Durham. whichever allows SC :dontknow: I'm not fussy

erm, I like reading so itd take a long time for me to list them all loool.

data science msc or graduate role but open to many career/further study options

is it bad I haven't ready any related books for my personal statement, I was originally applying for med
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by philip.13o+++++
s

it bad I haven't ready any related books for my personal statement, I was originally applying for med

you still have time :smile:
you could still probably relate the medicine stuff to biology or something for your nat sci ps
there are also other sorts of super curricular activities besides books! podcast, lecture, projects, documentaries, etc
you still have time :smile:
you could still probably relate the medicine stuff to biology or something for your nat sci ps
there are also other sorts of super curricular activities besides books! podcast, lecture, projects, documentaries, etc

Thank you, Ill get to it
Original post by aaron2578
Well maybe we should start :biggrin:

probably 😂, I still need to write my ps though and I should’ve had it done ages ago
probably 😂, I still need to write my ps though and I should’ve had it done ages ago

Oh my same and my sixth form wants it finished by 15th September
Oh my same and my sixth form wants it finished by 15th September

haha my sixth form wants it by the 17th. I'm determined to at least finish the intro tonight but I highly doubt it
haha my sixth form wants it by the 17th. I'm determined to at least finish the intro tonight but I highly doubt it

Yeah I'm hoping to finish by Thursday (when I go back to sixth form) so I can ask for feedback
Reply 30
Physics, biology, maths, further maths
I'm hoping to do a fairly even mix of biology and physics modules
So I can carry on with both biology and physics without dropping the other
Cambridge, Durham, Lancaster, St Andrews (just physics), still deciding on last option
Nothing yet
Can't decide (for both)
8) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application?
Summer schools/programmes, reading a book, did a MOOC
None but currently reading Particle Physics: Brick by Brick

Wish I knew

what subject do you intend to focus your personal statement on?
Reply 31
Original post by baNaanaaBread

Thought I would create a thread for people applying for Natural Sciences in 2021 for entry in September 2022 as I couldn't find one on here already for this year!

:aetsch:

Only four or five months now until we will be applying so here is your chance to see what your competition will be like! Thank you to @Xaodo whose Official Cambridge 2022 Applicants Thread I have based this new thread on.

A few questions:

Remember please be supportive of everyone and its okay if you haven't done much to prepare yet there are always the summer holidays!

@Peterhouse Admissions are here to answer any of your Cambridge-specific questions as well!

1. I'm taking international A levels:
AS Subjects: Economics, German
A level Subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths

2. Physical Natsci

3. It was hard enough for me to give up biology after the IGCSEs, I don't want to give up any more sciences!

4. seven 9s and two 8s

5. Cambridge
UCL (Why is this so uncommon?)
Edinburgh (Masters in Chemical Physics)
Durham?
Not sure yet

6. Haven't done much prep for the NSAA, but I've opened the spec if that counts

7. Cambridge: Maybe Corpus Christi
Durham: I haven't looked yet

8. Participated in a few interesting competitions and attempted at self-studying Further Maths (Oh, and I kept myself sane)

9. "Astrophysics for ppl in a hurry" and I'm currently reading a really cool series called "The Theoretical Minimum"

10. Study further?
Original post by Sm.c11
what subject do you intend to focus your personal statement on?

Physics in case I also apply to some straight physics courses, but there'll still be a fair amount of biology
Physics in case I also apply to some straight physics courses, but there'll still be a fair amount of biology

did you finish it by last thurday? I'm still writing oops
did you finish it by last thurday? I'm still writing oops

Same :frown: I can only hope to finish by the 15th
I finished writing yesterday 🥳🥳 (mainly bc I was told I had to hand it in lol). The problem is my ps is two lines over the line count and I don’t know what to remove 😪
does anyone have any advice for writing a personal statement for natsci and single science courses? for me it's biology
Original post by ivyxue49
does anyone have any advice for writing a personal statement for natsci and single science courses? for me it's biology

where are you applying to natsci at? some unis allow you to submit a 2nd ps and/or understanding that your ps may only be about 1 subjects
I finished writing yesterday 🥳🥳 (mainly bc I was told I had to hand it in lol). The problem is my ps is two lines over the line count and I don’t know what to remove 😪

Well done! I did a ton today and I'm mostly done now as well!!
where are you applying to natsci at? some unis allow you to submit a 2nd ps and/or understanding that your ps may only be about 1 subjects

leeds and exeter, the rest are biology

Latest

Trending

Trending