The Student Room Group

Regarding the ATAS delay and refusal

Hi! I have taken the course MSc by Research Biomedical Sciences. I applied for my atas on 12th april 2022 and on 19th april 2022 I recieved atas email requesting me to correct 'what will u be studying' section in the application. I then edited this section by copy pasting the research statement from my offer letter and resubmitted on 20th april 2022. I again received atas email on 27th april 2022 requesting me to change the same section again by adding core modules and research statement. I got confused and contacted the university. The university told me to mail the atas team stating that MSc by Research course has no core modules, only research statement is everything that i will be studying so give only the research statement. So I then mailed the atas team regarding this stating the university advised me to give only research statement. But I haven't got any response from the atas team regarding this. Fearing that my atas may get delayed, on 29th april 2022 I again resubmitted atas application by providing the research statement given by the university. Usually when after submitting my atas application, on the 7th day I receieve email from atas requesting to make changes in application. Today is the 8th day after the atas submission, and fortunately I haven't received their email regarding the changes to be made in the application. So I hope they have considered my atas application and the research statement. But I also fear that, since they asked me to correct twice times and even after i resubmitted twice, and yet if they are still not still satisfied with the application, is there a possibility they will reject my application. I was also wondering what are the reasons for ATAS refusal?
Original post by Swatz
Hi! I have taken the course MSc by Research Biomedical Sciences. I applied for my atas on 12th april 2022 and on 19th april 2022 I recieved atas email requesting me to correct 'what will u be studying' section in the application. I then edited this section by copy pasting the research statement from my offer letter and resubmitted on 20th april 2022. I again received atas email on 27th april 2022 requesting me to change the same section again by adding core modules and research statement. I got confused and contacted the university. The university told me to mail the atas team stating that MSc by Research course has no core modules, only research statement is everything that i will be studying so give only the research statement. So I then mailed the atas team regarding this stating the university advised me to give only research statement. But I haven't got any response from the atas team regarding this. Fearing that my atas may get delayed, on 29th april 2022 I again resubmitted atas application by providing the research statement given by the university. Usually when after submitting my atas application, on the 7th day I receieve email from atas requesting to make changes in application. Today is the 8th day after the atas submission, and fortunately I haven't received their email regarding the changes to be made in the application. So I hope they have considered my atas application and the research statement. But I also fear that, since they asked me to correct twice times and even after i resubmitted twice, and yet if they are still not still satisfied with the application, is there a possibility they will reject my application. I was also wondering what are the reasons for ATAS refusal?

You've probably caused a further delay by submitting two applications. I'm unsure why you would do this when you already had an active one that was being reviewed. They review applications in the order they are received so submitting another application will just move you further down the queue, in what is already their busiest time.

There is no official 7 day timescale - their response will vary depending on the staff they have available and the number of applications received.

As per their website:
It will take at least 20 working days (4 full weeks) to process a student ATAS application. Processing times will increase between April and September and can take 30 or more working days to complete.

To ensure fairness and consistency we process applications in order of receipt. There is no ‘fast track’ service. You should submit your ATAS application as early as possible.

Regarding rejection, there is always a possibility that you will be rejected if you fail to meet their requirements, or fail to provide them with the required information. I'd suggest you review the requirements here; https://www.gov.uk/guidance/academic-technology-approval-scheme#how-long-applications-take
Original post by Charlotte's Web
You've probably caused a further delay by submitting two applications. I'm unsure why you would do this when you already had an active one that was being reviewed. They review applications in the order they are received so submitting another application will just move you further down the queue, in what is already their busiest time.

There is no official 7 day timescale - their response will vary depending on the staff they have available and the number of applications received.

As per their website:
It will take at least 20 working days (4 full weeks) to process a student ATAS application. Processing times will increase between April and September and can take 30 or more working days to complete.

To ensure fairness and consistency we process applications in order of receipt. There is no ‘fast track’ service. You should submit your ATAS application as early as possible.

Regarding rejection, there is always a possibility that you will be rejected if you fail to meet their requirements, or fail to provide them with the required information. I'd suggest you review the requirements here; https://www.gov.uk/guidance/academic-technology-approval-scheme#how-long-applications-take

I haven't submitted any multiple applications. So far I have submitted only one application, in which the atas team then requested me twice to make corrections in the 'what will you be studying' section of the application. So as insisted by them I made the required changes in this application and then resubmitted this same application. Till now I haven't received any emails from the atas team about making any more corrections in this application. I'm waiting for the decision of this application till the end of this month, 30th May 2022, which will count 20 working days by then. But I was wondering if they reject my application will they tell us the decision of the application earlier or in the last moment?
Original post by Swatz
I haven't submitted any multiple applications. So far I have submitted only one application, in which the atas team then requested me twice to make corrections in the 'what will you be studying' section of the application. So as insisted by them I made the required changes in this application and then resubmitted this same application. Till now I haven't received any emails from the atas team about making any more corrections in this application. I'm waiting for the decision of this application till the end of this month, 30th May 2022, which will count 20 working days by then. But I was wondering if they reject my application will they tell us the decision of the application earlier or in the last moment?

Note that it states at least 20 working days. As I said you're applying at the busiest time, so it may well take longer. It depends how many other applications they've received, and where yours is in that list, and how many staff are available. They will either ask for more information or make a decision on your application as and when they have time to review it. All you need to do is wait and be patient. There is nothing you can do to speed up the process at this stage.
Hey @Charlotte's Web!

I had applied for a student ATAS clearance for an Applied Mathematics PhD at the University of Leeds on February 25, 2022. Even after 50 working days, there's been no change in the application status.

On mailing the ATAS team the only response I’ve received said,

“We are aware of your application, unfortunately it is taking a little longer to process than we’d like it to. We are doing what we can to process it as soon as possible and we will inform you of a decision regarding your application as soon as we have one.”

Is such a delay normal?
I think last year some ATAS clearances were taking several months to be issued.
Original post by Admit-One
I think last year some ATAS clearances were taking several months to be issued.

Hey! Thank you so much for the information! I need my ATAS certificate to register for my programme, and of course, to apply for the visa as well. Do you think I should mail the ATAS team again? (I have already mailed them twice, once in the last week of March and once two weeks ago).

Will it help if I tell them that the deadline to register for my programme is very close?
Original post by FatherMcKenzie
Hey! Thank you so much for the information! I need my ATAS certificate to register for my programme, and of course, to apply for the visa as well. Do you think I should mail the ATAS team again? (I have already mailed them twice, once in the last week of March and once two weeks ago).

Will it help if I tell them that the deadline to register for my programme is very close?

You can certainly try. However from watching replies on ATAS threads last year I think they are not very responsive to emails.
Original post by FatherMcKenzie
Hey @Charlotte's Web!

I had applied for a student ATAS clearance for an Applied Mathematics PhD at the University of Leeds on February 25, 2022. Even after 50 working days, there's been no change in the application status.

On mailing the ATAS team the only response I’ve received said,

“We are aware of your application, unfortunately it is taking a little longer to process than we’d like it to. We are doing what we can to process it as soon as possible and we will inform you of a decision regarding your application as soon as we have one.”

Is such a delay normal?

It's not abnormal given what we've seen in recent years. There is no maximum timescale unfortunately. ATAS have generally been pretty clear that they work through applications in order and that they won't grant any exceptions or queue-jumping for any reason, so unfortunately there is very little you can do.
Did you recieve anything yet. If you did can you please let me know ASAP. Because I have made corrections twice too and I've waited for 26 days and recieved no further information about my application.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Ashalefernando
Did you recieve anything yet. If you did can you please let me know ASAP. Because I have made corrections twice too and I've waited for 26 days and recieved no further information about my application.

The thread starter has deleted their account so won't reply.

Tagging in @FatherMcKenzie in case they have any updates, (not sure if they made any amendments though).
Original post by username5955887

Can you let me know what happened after this?
Original post by Ashalefernando
Can you let me know what happened after this?

That person has deleted their account so won't reply.
Did you receive yours after 50 working days ???
Reply 14
Original post by Charlotte's Web

As per their website:

Hi I got correction required on my research section but they have not added any specific query. I made changes last week and this week they again asked me for changes while they did not state what changes or what information they actually need.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending