The Student Room Group

Edinburgh or St. Andrews for Psychology

Hi :smile:
I know I am running a little late to make this decision as the UCAS deadline is this Thursday, but I am really having trouble deciding whether I should go to Edinburgh or St. Andrews to study psychology.

I basically know the pros and cons of each university and yet I cannot really decide on where to go. For the rankings I have looked at Edinburgh is ranked higher for psychology but I feel like St. Andrews has such a good reputation (Edinburgh does too tho).

I am really struggling to decide and if anyone had to make a similar decision or maybe even the same I would really appreciate some help, advice and maybe facts that helped you decide :smile:

thank you very much in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by unii21
I know I am running a little late to make this decision as the UCAS deadline is this Thursday, but I am really having trouble deciding whether I should go to Edinburgh or St. Andrews to study psychology.

I basically know the pros and cons of each university and yet I cannot really decide on where to go. For the rankings I have looked at Edinburgh is ranked higher for psychology but I feel like St. Andrews has such a good reputation (Edinburgh does too tho).

I am really struggling to decide and if anyone had to make a similar decision or maybe even the same I would really appreciate some help, advice and maybe facts that helped you decide :smile:

I was also in a similar position between St. Andrews and Edinburgh, both schools are at the top of the rankings for my degree and gave me unconditional offers. If there is nothing academically that makes you favor one school over the other (not just rankings, but certain modules or professors) it comes down to student experience. Edinburgh and St Andrews could not be more different in that sense. If you want a tight knit community with lots of support, then St Andrews is the way to go. If you want to be in a city and very independent then Edinburgh is better suited towards you. Personally, I have not been particularly impressed by what I have heard about the student support at Edinburgh. I understand that as a large university with many students it is more difficult for school officials to provide guidance, but as an international who will already be in a new country and academic environment, I felt that sort of support is a crucial factor.
Reply 2
Original post by skysk8s
I was also in a similar position between St. Andrews and Edinburgh, both schools are at the top of the rankings for my degree and gave me unconditional offers. If there is nothing academically that makes you favor one school over the other (not just rankings, but certain modules or professors) it comes down to student experience. Edinburgh and St Andrews could not be more different in that sense. If you want a tight knit community with lots of support, then St Andrews is the way to go. If you want to be in a city and very independent then Edinburgh is better suited towards you. Personally, I have not been particularly impressed by what I have heard about the student support at Edinburgh. I understand that as a large university with many students it is more difficult for school officials to provide guidance, but as an international who will already be in a new country and academic environment, I felt that sort of support is a crucial factor.

thank you so much! This is a very helpful tip and I will definitely consider it.

May I ask what you applied for and where you ended up going?
Reply 3
Original post by unii21
thank you so much! This is a very helpful tip and I will definitely consider it.

May I ask what you applied for and where you ended up going?

In applied for international relations with economics and I ended up choosing St Andrews
Original post by unii21

Hi, i know this is a reply to a post from a while ago, but i was wondering what you ended up choosing and how? Also how do you find the uni you decided to go for. I’m in the exact same position this year , trying to choose between these universities for psychology also- any reply would be really appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest