The Student Room Group

A levels: Eng lit or Business?

update:

don't do business at college/sixth form unless you plan on going ahead with it in the future.
(edited 1 year ago)
I did psychology and business and found that they went really well together. For example, (AQA) both cover Maslow's hierarchy of needs and areas of research methods in psychology are covered in market research topics in business. In terms of maths, mathematical areas of business are more to do with learning formulas and putting in the numbers so I wouldn't say numerical ability is particularly important.
Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have
The maths in A-Level business is not too hard (I'm an idiot at maths and did business)
Original post by kwak_
After doing some more digging, A level Economics keeps popping up. Some people are saying its better than business as universities consider business as a "softer" subject compared to Eng Lit or Economics for example. Is this true and what exactly are these three subjects + where do they lead? Do universities like one more than the other? Do the subjects you do even matter or do universities pick based on how students sell themselves too?

I'd ignore the idea of softer subjects as I personally think it's a load of rubbish. If you find maths more difficult I wouldn't recommend economics as for our sixth form a 5 in maths was recommended but not needed for business whereas for economics a 7 was needed and most people who did economics did A level maths
Hi
Hi @kwak_

It's hard choosing those subjects, isn't it? I'd advise you to go with the one you like the most. I did A-Level equivalents, so I can't talk from experience, but if you don't like most of the books you'll be reading in eng lit, you'll get bored really quickly. I feel like if you take a subject you enjoy, you'll be happier and getting better results. You should also consider what you're thinking of doing after sixth form. With the amount of hours you'll be spending towards your A-Levels, I'd still recommend you do a subject you enjoy.

Elena
Business Management Rep
Original post by kwak_
Yo,

I'm currently in a bind. I have no idea wether i should stick with eng lit or swap it to business studies. I don't care about top universities since i'm not going there anyways.
Current picks:
Psychology
Fine art
Eng lit
If I'm honest, I don't enjoy reading as much as I used to and the college I'm looking at will be looking at books that seem dull to me. On the other hand I'm really REALLY bad at maths, mainly because I panic if people ask me questions in front of others and I forget how to function as a normal human being.
Since I'm not doing something like medicine, my A level choices don't seem to matter as much as the actual grades I will come out with.
What should I do?
Original post by kwak_
What about the workload? Since I'm doing fine art and psychology I'm going to have a lot of work already from those two, will business studies give me a lot more? As for subjects I like, I've never done Business studies and I don't really like reading or Eng Lit.

I'd say, although both psychology and business are completely exam based so are naturally more content heavy, I personally think that the business content is mostly easier to understand so less time has to be spent on trying to learn and understand the workload but the workload itself will vary based on the teacher as some teachers set more homework on top of revision whereas others will trust you to do the work that you feel you need to do and enable you to do more independent work
for anyone wondering:
don't do A level business unless you plan on using it in the future. It's useless stress.

Quick Reply

Latest