The Student Room Group

Identity Crisis

I am currently having an identity crisis. If you are unsure what it is:

-You’re questioning who you are overall or with regards to a certain life aspect such as relationships, age, or career.
-You’re experiencing great personal conflict due to the questioning of who you are or your role in society.
-Big changes have recently occurred that have affected your sense of self, such as a divorce.
-You’re questioning things such as your values, spirituality, beliefs, interests, or career path that have a major impact on how you see yourself.
-You’re searching for more meaning, reason, or passion in your life.

Recently, I have been through a lot of friendship drama, giving my opinion and being overly nice, it caused me to be misunderstood and those friends don’t really talk to me now. My other close friends are busy and I don’t know how to fill my time. I can never finish a show, movie or book. I try a hobbie and get bored of it. I go for walks and start to deep life. Art has become a chore since I do three arts subjects.
Instead of overthinking and crying day after day for everything bad in my life that’s happened, I just feel mad now. I did so much for nothing. Being nice gets you used. In the past I wanted to kill myself but recently, now I feel like killing others. I think about how it feels to kill someone.
I can’t figure out my personality now and who I am.
The same thing is happening to me for half a year now. I decided to stop everything and just think about what I want to do with my life. For example, I want to be an actor and now I'm trying to find affordable acting schools outside my country. I am afraid I will fail or not even get a chance to start. I also started an Etsy shop to help me pay for uni, but it's not going very well. The only thing I can rely on is myself and my studies. I decided (since I have one year left before uni) to give it my all and finish high school as best as I can and try to get into a good acting school, even tho my parents aren't supportive.

I've been also dealing with a lot of other things like depression and questioning my sexuality. I managed to find a great group of people on Instagram and TikTok and now we have a WhatsApp group where we are all best friends. Never in my life have I had a feeling of belonging with anyone, but these people really help my depression and I helped theirs. I realized that many of us have the same struggles and interests and it is much easier to share it with someone than keep it with yourself. It is also great to have comfort characters and idols too. Even if you are really attached to them. And I'm telling you this from experience. I don't think that I would have been alive today if I didn't have comfort characters and idols. For me, those were Loki and MARVEL heroes (because I grew up with MARVEL so they are like a second family to me, actors too) a person who I look up to is Tom Hiddleston. Try to find a way that those people/characters can help you and teach you. For me Tom thought me to see beauty in everything and see that life is hard, but if you give all you got you WILL succeed in life. Loki help me learn that people might think of you as less or even hate you even if you don't deserve it. That's why sometimes you have to do part of your life alone on your own, but also remember that there are many people in the same position as you who you should surround yourself with and help each other. Also, whenever I am sad or when no one is there to support me I remember that they would if they were here so that keeps me going.

Talking to others with the same problems really helps. It helped me figure out who I am and I even got an amazing group of friends even tho they aren't from my country and an amazing girlfriend who I love (no matter that she is far away on the other continent). Hope will also be a good friend in this situation. You need to hope and put your trust in hope that everything will turn out well if you try. Look for something positive in each day. Even if you fail in something you really wanted to do or never got the chance, focus on something else. Find another thing that you are passionate about and try to chase that dream. Live your life to the fullest no matter if you don't manage to do the things you always wanted. You will have millions of other good memories to remember and lots of bad memories to learn from. That is what makes life worth living. You don't even have to go in the meadow and become an explorer, just go in your garden or look into the sky (day or night). What do you see? Imagine that you are somewhere else by just looking at the sky. The sky is always the same, but always different. You can watch it and it will help you relax for a few minutes, but cherish those few minutes of each day. They will give you energy and motivation to go the distance. Try to make your life like a novel yourself. Romanticize. Wait for opportunity till you become able to do what you want and do it. If you want to travel, travel. Don't have money for transportation? Then go by foot however dangerous it will be if you trust in yourself and learn with every new experience you will be able to survive on your own and have an amazing life. You don't have to know what you want to be. Life is here to experience everything and then at the very end choose what brought you the most joy and what you learned.

Sorry for the cheezy pep talk by the way. And good luck! Make your life your Pinterest boards
Damn are we the same person or what??
Maybe except the killing part 😅
Reply 3
Isn't this us all?
Reply 4
Original post by mila_milchy
The same thing is happening to me for half a year now. I decided to stop everything and just think about what I want to do with my life. For example, I want to be an actor and now I'm trying to find affordable acting schools outside my country. I am afraid I will fail or not even get a chance to start. I also started an Etsy shop to help me pay for uni, but it's not going very well. The only thing I can rely on is myself and my studies. I decided (since I have one year left before uni) to give it my all and finish high school as best as I can and try to get into a good acting school, even tho my parents aren't supportive.

I've been also dealing with a lot of other things like depression and questioning my sexuality. I managed to find a great group of people on Instagram and TikTok and now we have a WhatsApp group where we are all best friends. Never in my life have I had a feeling of belonging with anyone, but these people really help my depression and I helped theirs. I realized that many of us have the same struggles and interests and it is much easier to share it with someone than keep it with yourself. It is also great to have comfort characters and idols too. Even if you are really attached to them. And I'm telling you this from experience. I don't think that I would have been alive today if I didn't have comfort characters and idols. For me, those were Loki and MARVEL heroes (because I grew up with MARVEL so they are like a second family to me, actors too) a person who I look up to is Tom Hiddleston. Try to find a way that those people/characters can help you and teach you. For me Tom thought me to see beauty in everything and see that life is hard, but if you give all you got you WILL succeed in life. Loki help me learn that people might think of you as less or even hate you even if you don't deserve it. That's why sometimes you have to do part of your life alone on your own, but also remember that there are many people in the same position as you who you should surround yourself with and help each other. Also, whenever I am sad or when no one is there to support me I remember that they would if they were here so that keeps me going.

Talking to others with the same problems really helps. It helped me figure out who I am and I even got an amazing group of friends even tho they aren't from my country and an amazing girlfriend who I love (no matter that she is far away on the other continent). Hope will also be a good friend in this situation. You need to hope and put your trust in hope that everything will turn out well if you try. Look for something positive in each day. Even if you fail in something you really wanted to do or never got the chance, focus on something else. Find another thing that you are passionate about and try to chase that dream. Live your life to the fullest no matter if you don't manage to do the things you always wanted. You will have millions of other good memories to remember and lots of bad memories to learn from. That is what makes life worth living. You don't even have to go in the meadow and become an explorer, just go in your garden or look into the sky (day or night). What do you see? Imagine that you are somewhere else by just looking at the sky. The sky is always the same, but always different. You can watch it and it will help you relax for a few minutes, but cherish those few minutes of each day. They will give you energy and motivation to go the distance. Try to make your life like a novel yourself. Romanticize. Wait for opportunity till you become able to do what you want and do it. If you want to travel, travel. Don't have money for transportation? Then go by foot however dangerous it will be if you trust in yourself and learn with every new experience you will be able to survive on your own and have an amazing life. You don't have to know what you want to be. Life is here to experience everything and then at the very end choose what brought you the most joy and what you learned.

Sorry for the cheezy pep talk by the way. And good luck! Make your life your Pinterest boards

Omg thank you so much for taking the time to write this😭
I wish you well💜
Original post by Anonymous
Omg thank you so much for taking the time to write this😭
I wish you well💜

No problem! Glad I could help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending