The Student Room Group

Learning a language

Hello.

I'm learning a language (Dutch) and I'm using Duolingo. I'm a beginner and I want to become fluent.

Are there any free resources that you could recommend to improve my spoken Dutch, for example to help with pronounceation?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Hellotalk is an app where you can talk with people who speak that language so you could download it and see if it’ll help?
Reply 2
Original post by Noble.x
Hellotalk is an app where you can talk with people who speak that language so you could download it and see if it’ll help?

I'm already using Duolingo and it is very good. The only thing is that it doesn't help with pronunciation or the spoken language, in my view.
Just this morning I have downloaded two apps: Drops and uTalk.
Drops seems to be very good. It teaches you new words in 5 minute daily bitesize chunks and it supplements Duolingo very well.
I haven't actually used uTalk yet but I will report back :smile:
I've found anki to be really useful, as well as some beginner books of short stories designed for learners.
Duolingo is a brilliant tool to get started with a language and to master the basics. Of course, as you're already aware of this, you should use other resources to learn the language.

If you want to improve your speaking and pronunciation, here are some tips and methods I'd recommend:

- The easiest and simplest way to improve your pronunciation in your target language is by consuming plenty of native material and listening to natives. Your brain and ears will start to take note of how natives pronounce certain things and you'll then be able to compare that with your own speaking and you'll be able to identify what exact sounds you need to make for you to then start trying to make them yourself. Funnily enough, whenever someone asks how to improve their accent my go-to answer is always to actually not do much speaking at all until you can familiarise yourself with the sounds you need to create by listening to natives.

- Talking to natives is also a very important step to learning a language and, to be honest, one you simply cannot avoid if you want to achieve fluency in a language. There are plenty of apps such as Hellotalk, Tandem, iTalki etc. which you can use to find native speakers to communicate with whether it be a native speaker you just want to chat with or a professional tutor who can critique your Dutch.

- Another good way of practising your speaking is actually just talking to yourself. Make sure no one can hear you so they don't think you're crazy lol but sometimes just whispering to yourself in Dutch will help you practise speaking and spontaneously producing the language.

The bottom line to getting better at speaking is simply just practising speaking. I hope I've been able to help and good luck with your Dutch :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Kogomogo
I've found anki to be really useful, as well as some beginner books of short stories designed for learners.

Thanks, I will take a look at Anki.

Original post by SirNoodles
Duolingo is a brilliant tool to get started with a language and to master the basics. Of course, as you're already aware of this, you should use other resources to learn the language.

If you want to improve your speaking and pronunciation, here are some tips and methods I'd recommend:

- The easiest and simplest way to improve your pronunciation in your target language is by consuming plenty of native material and listening to natives. Your brain and ears will start to take note of how natives pronounce certain things and you'll then be able to compare that with your own speaking and you'll be able to identify what exact sounds you need to make for you to then start trying to make them yourself. Funnily enough, whenever someone asks how to improve their accent my go-to answer is always to actually not do much speaking at all until you can familiarise yourself with the sounds you need to create by listening to natives.

- Talking to natives is also a very important step to learning a language and, to be honest, one you simply cannot avoid if you want to achieve fluency in a language. There are plenty of apps such as Hellotalk, Tandem, iTalki etc. which you can use to find native speakers to communicate with whether it be a native speaker you just want to chat with or a professional tutor who can critique your Dutch.

- Another good way of practising your speaking is actually just talking to yourself. Make sure no one can hear you so they don't think you're crazy lol but sometimes just whispering to yourself in Dutch will help you practise speaking and spontaneously producing the language.

The bottom line to getting better at speaking is simply just practising speaking. I hope I've been able to help and good luck with your Dutch :smile:

Thanks very much for your input.
I think Dutch is relatively easy to learn for English natives because sentence structure is similar and in some cases more simple!
The issue is pronunciation. Pronouncing the G is Dutch is very guttural, and I haven't figured out how to roll R's yet.
Reply 6
Original post by mathperson
I'm already using Duolingo and it is very good. The only thing is that it doesn't help with pronunciation or the spoken language, in my view.
Just this morning I have downloaded two apps: Drops and uTalk.
Drops seems to be very good. It teaches you new words in 5 minute daily bitesize chunks and it supplements Duolingo very well.
I haven't actually used uTalk yet but I will report back :smile:

I think it’ll help so much with your pronunciation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending